Mutation augments.

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Mutation augments.

Postby Agrippa » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:47 am

So I'd like to start a new thread on mutation rules changes. I'm not quite sure how to explain what I'm going for but I'll try. I want to revise my mutation augment idea. The idea is that you have the base mutation, like increased strength or quickness, and you have augments for it. Now not all mutations would have these augments but those that do can have up to five augment ranks. Starting at first level and rising every four levels after (5th, 9th, 13th and 17th) the mutant's rank his mutations rises by one up to the mutation's MSMod. Each mutation augment costs a cumulative amount of focus points. The maximum amount focus any one character can have being equal to the lower of the mutant's Constitution or Willpower plus one and a half his or her character level (increase this to his or her whole character level for higher powered campaigns). Focus regenerates at a rate of one point every three rounds. I drew some partial inspiration from Exalted's Charms and motes. Feel free ti pick apart this idea of mine at-will.

P.S. What rank would you give an augment like this and what mutation(s) would you tie it to?
Last edited by Agrippa on Tue May 14, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agrippa

Re: Mutation augments.

Postby Agrippa » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:08 am

Code: Select all
MSmod|Augment Rank|Focus Cost*
    1|Rank 1      |1
    2|Rank 2      |3
    3|Rank 3      |6
    4|Rank 4      |10
   5+|Rank 5      |15

*If applicable

I'll come up with more later.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Tue May 14, 2013 5:39 am

Let's take the Mutant Omega mutation fleet of foot for instance. See, it's the easist way to demonstrate who mutation augments would work. Take the basic mutation and logically extend it's effects as much as possible. So for fleet of foot each mutation augment effects your jump distance or your ability to jump. So with no further ado, fleet of foot's augments.

Fleet of Foot

Rank 1: Spring Heels
Focus Cost: 1
You can jump as high as you can long jump.

Rank 2: Mid Air Jump
Focus Cost: 3
With preternatural grace and agility you can even use pockets of air as platforms to leap from. You can now jump twice per round but your second jump result can be no higher than the first.

Rank 3: Soaring Leap
Focus Cost: 6
With a burst of superhuman power you leap into the air and soar like an eagle, sort of. This allows you to jump your Fleet of Foot MSmod+2 times your normal jumping distance and maintain that speed for one turn per MSmod as flight (clumsy maneuverability).

Rank 4: Leap of the Heavens
Focus Cost: 10
As a true master of such nigh supernatural athletic prowess limits mean little to your feats of strength and skill in leaping. Multiply your jump result, including fleet of foot bonuses, by 10 for distance.

Rank 5: In a Single Bound
Focus Cost: 15
Just as the Soaring Leap augment but you retain flight for two turns per MSmod.
Agrippa

Postby knottyprof » Tue May 14, 2013 4:43 pm

I use a similar system and tie it to characters leveling. I basically broke down the physical and mental mutations into categories and have a limit to how often a mutation can be upgraded and the upgrades are set (if the mutation can be upgraded) and typically include increasing duration, power (extra damage, range, etc.), or additional uses per day if limited. I like your augment system, I just think it would be a lot of work to try and apply it to every mutation while my system allows the character to pick and choose how the mutation is upgraded if more than one parameter can be changed.
knottyprof

Postby Agrippa » Wed May 15, 2013 3:22 am

Naturally I wouldn't apply the augment rules to all mutations, or even all qualifying mutations a character has. I'm just trying to come up with expansions to some pre-existing mutations. Mutations like unique sense and abberant form won't get augments but something like combat empathy or martial affinity might.
Agrippa

Return to Mutant Future