Things Man Was Not Meant To Know for GORE

For discussion of the Generic Old-school Roleplaying Engine.

Things Man Was Not Meant To Know for GORE

Postby jasondgraham » Thu May 26, 2016 8:56 pm

I'm working on a supplement for GORE and I'm interested in including some "things" and their appropriate stats. However, when researching the copyright and OGL rules for Lovecraftian nightmares, the waters get a bit... murky.
So, my question is, what suggestions do the GORE community offer, other than, make up all new monsters and stats. I'd like it to be as obviously lovecraftian as possible, and would like GORE applicable stats that recreate the feel of the original game as much as possible, without incurring the wrath of Chaosium.
Last edited by jasondgraham on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jasondgraham

Re: Things Man Was Not Meant To Know for GORE

Postby venusboys3 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:06 am

I'd like to see stats for the people of K'n-yan... from Lovecraft's ghost-written story The Mound. Weird half-ghosts with mind powers and weird technology... and their strange proto-human meat/mounts and their undead/fleshcrafted servitors.
I've seen them referred to elsewhere as being a bit like Hellraiser's 'Cenobites'... and though there are BIG differences I can see the similarities as well.
I don't think I've seen stats for any of that stuff anywhere.

Also, I'm not sure I see the point in trying to emulate original CoC all that much. I love that game but I think there's plenty of other tangents to explore with the source material. For one thing, a more personal level of horror, rather than the world-spanning threats and pulp adventure tales some CoC plays to.
More Thomas Ligotti and Clive Barker and Dennis Etchison.
Smaller groups playing one or two-shot 'campaigns'... like horror short stories versus horror epics.
venusboys3

Re: Things Man Was Not Meant To Know for GORE

Postby jasondgraham » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:31 pm

I agree, the big world destroyer stuff isn't really what i'm looking for either. I'm more interested in lower level stuff, like shoggoths, ghouls, and deep ones. cannon fodder stuff for the occasional action scene
jasondgraham

Return to GORE