Magic items and XP

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Magic items and XP

Postby Adapt » Sun May 08, 2011 11:18 pm

I used to use a houserule that you got XP for gold ONLY if you spent the gold on training. If you used your gold to buy new equipment or just piddled it away on ale and wenches, then it didn't count towards XP.
Running: Arizona Territory 1873 (FATE Old West pbp), The Northwest Barony (Labyrinth Lord pbp)
Playing: Night's Dark Terror (Labyrinth Lord pbp)

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Postby Mach Front » Mon May 09, 2011 1:52 am

Blood axe wrote:Ok, what about creatures and problems without gold/treasure?? No XP? Thats why you need to think about the XP reward and not just use GP=XP.

What about them?

Insofar as the game was designed and conceived, it would seem that these things were accounted for by way of making 1GP=1XP and the XP charts measured out the way they were/are.

In other words: you don't have to track things that aren't 'considered' because, like all the rest, they are considered in the final abstract mechanic.

The short version is: unless you're playing in a game that's all or practically all role-play and/or doesn't center around the game's original conceit (that is, adventuring and exploring for greater glory, etc.) and thus treasure isn't really any concern of the PCs...then XP for GP is all you need because it already covers everything.
Like the old Ragu commercials: "It's in there!".
Mach Front

Postby Mach Front » Mon May 09, 2011 2:08 am

Gygax discussed this very thing in the DMG, page 85:

"Note: Players who balk at equating gold pieces to experience points should be gently but firmly reminded that in game certain compromises must be made. While it is more "realistic" for clerics to study holy writings, pray, chant, practice self-discipline, etc. to gain experience, it would not make a playable game roll along. Similarly, fighters should be exercising, riding, smiting pelts, tilting at the lists, and engaging in weapons practice of various sorts to gain expertise (experience); magic-users should be deciphering old scrolls, searching ancient tomes, experimenting alchemically, and so forth; while thieves should spend their off hours honing their skills, "casing" various buildings, watching potential victims, and carefully planning their next "job". All very realistic but conducive to non-game boredom!"
Mach Front

Postby Blood axe » Mon May 09, 2011 2:26 am

I guess it all balances out in the end....but I prefer more Xp for actions, role-play ,etc and less for gold. As the OP brought up, LL isnt totally with the original rule, as there are no XP for magic items. I guess its just a matter of personal preference. (house rules)
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Mach Front » Mon May 09, 2011 3:13 am

Blood axe wrote:I guess it all balances out in the end....but I prefer more Xp for actions, role-play ,etc and less for gold.

So do I. But I don't need to calculate it because it's already done for me. So...I use XP for GP much of the time. It all comes out the same..it's just much easier and much quicker.

Blood axe wrote:As the OP brought up, LL isnt totally with the original rule, as there are no XP for magic items. I guess its just a matter of personal preference. (house rules)

Well, there are no XP for magic items in the 1981 game LL is based on either. Nor in the actual original rules (the 3LBBs from 1974) that the 1981 game is based on. :) *shrug*
Mach Front

Postby Blood axe » Mon May 09, 2011 3:16 am

It just seemed when I used the gp=xp , the characters gained level extremely fast. Maybe I should try it out again, as I do have a low-level game going now.
The Keep on the Borderlands- level 1.
Blood axe

Postby Dyson Logos » Mon May 09, 2011 6:13 am

Magic items make it easier to do the things that grant you XP, thus you don't need the double-whammy of gaining XP for gaining magic items.

The source game didn't have XP for magic items, it's one of those things that got added in 1e, along with weapon speeds, weapons vs AC charts, segments, and so on.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Dyson Logos » Mon May 09, 2011 6:15 am

Blood axe wrote:It just seemed when I used the gp=xp , the characters gained level extremely fast. Maybe I should try it out again, as I do have a low-level game going now.

That really depends 100% on how much gold you give them. I've played with gp for xp in one campaign where it took 6 12 hour sessions for my cleric to reach level 3.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Blood axe » Mon May 09, 2011 6:21 am

Dyson Logos wrote:
Blood axe wrote:It just seemed when I used the gp=xp , the characters gained level extremely fast. Maybe I should try it out again, as I do have a low-level game going now.

That really depends 100% on how much gold you give them. I've played with gp for xp in one campaign where it took 6 12 hour sessions for my cleric to reach level 3.

Im giving them whatever treasure they recover thats listed in the printed adventure. (no changes by me)
Blood axe

Postby elf23 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:05 am

Interesting, I've been running a low-level game recently and not found advancement too fast using gold = XP. I've found that I can regularly throw what seem like pretty valuable treasure hoards at the PCs (in the region of 1,000gp), and by the time that's been split between 4 or 5 characters it doesn't make them advance too quickly.

We just had our first character make it to 2nd level, and he's played in about 4 or 5 sessions so far, which I feel is reasonable. (It's totally subjective though isn't it, what one considers too fast or about right!) I do also use a carousing rule (based on Jeff's party like it's 999) which that character's player has made regular use of.

Nice Gygax quote Mach Front :D
elf23

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord