Rangers and armour.

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Rangers and armour.

Postby kibosh » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:07 pm

johnnybleu wrote: My Ranger player pointed out yesterday that he should actually start with 2 hit dice at 1st level. Is that right? 2d6 hp? Is it just me, or does that seem like a bit much? I know this is probably due to the fact that Rangers started out with 2d6 in the source material, but that doesn't exactly jive with the rest of the classes, in my opinion. Especially since the character in question has 18 CON, and I allowed for max HP at level 1. This guy has 15 HP! That's 3.5 territory! And even then, that's 3.5 Barbarian with 18 CON. >_> That's the most possible HP you can start with without the Toughness Feats.

I have been thinking about this recently with regards to some kind of preliminary organized play rules. I really like the idea of characters starting with max HP at first level, but then the Ranger and Monk gain a pretty substantial benefit (especially if using the advanced HD). So I have decided to change it a little: players will receive max HP only for their first HD. What do other people think about going that route?
FIRST FORT
I have always fought against evil and I've always won.
kibosh

Postby Dyson Logos » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:23 pm

Kibosh - that's exactly how I handle it when I use the "max first hit die" rule (which I don't always do - depends on how hardcore my players are)
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby johnnybleu » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:45 pm

Max HP on the first hit die only sounds like a good way to mitigate excessive ranger health at first level, without simply removing one HD. I'll propose the idea to my group and see how it goes.

Thanks for the input!
Colorist, artist, and overall decent person.
My fantasy art thread- http://www.goblinoidgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2152
My blog- http://johnnybleuart.blogspot.ca/
johnnybleu

Postby Lord Kilgore » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:43 am

kibosh wrote:So I have decided to change it a little: players will receive max HP only for their first HD. What do other people think about going that route

That's how we do it, also. Seems perfectly sensible.
Lord Kilgore was last seen entering the Lost Caverns some years ago...
Lord Kilgore

Previous

Return to Labyrinth Lord