Photoshop Mapping

This forum is for sharing your maps, and map making tips or ideas.

Re: Photoshop Mapping

Postby Black Wyvern » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:57 pm

More from B2.
The Cave of Unknown and Cellar Beneath the Guild House taking a few ideas from the folks over at Dragonsfoot.

Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Black Wyvern » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:54 am

Keep on the Borderlands revamp continues with the Wilderness map. Not real happy with it but it gets the job done. I am going to have to work on my outdoor maps a bit.

Here is the Encounter Key
A – Kobold Lair
B&C – Orc Lairs
D, E&F – Goblins, Ogre, Hobgoblins
G – Shunned Cavern
H&I – Bugbear Lair and Minotaur Maze
J&K – Gnoll and Shrine of Evil Chaos

L = 1. Mound of the Lizardmen
M = 2. Spiders
N = 3. Raiders Camp
O = 4. Mad Hermit
P = Cave of the Unknown
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Black Wyvern » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:19 pm

Here is a cavern complex I was messing around with last night. Stocking the maps is becoming the bigger issue. I have never random stocked a map before but built this with the idea that I would.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby petespahn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Black Wyvern wrote:I just realized I forgot to draw in the stairs.

hahaha - otherwise, awesome. Of course, level two might only be accessible via a teleport chamber in one of the rooms on level one. . .

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby petespahn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:02 pm

Black Wyvern wrote:Here is a cavern complex I was messing around with last night. Stocking the maps is becoming the bigger issue. I have never random stocked a map before but built this with the idea that I would.

I'm getting better at this. Adventures are my forte, but I cannot draw maps to save my life (at least not publisher quality maps--I'm okay around the table). More and more, what I have been doing is taking a premade map and stocking it from scratch (see Atarin's Delve). What I do is stare at the map for an unnaturally long time and try to figure out what types of monsters would live there, what type of natural animals would creep in, and what type of creatures had lived there in the ancient past. If you can answer those three questions, it makes it a lot easier to start stocking.

Also, I start by naming the rooms first, starting with the most obvious (entry halls, guard chamber, sinkhole rooms, underground lakes, etc.). This makes it easier to fill in the blanks as you go.

Again, awesome maps!

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby Black Wyvern » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:20 pm

petespahn wrote:
Black Wyvern wrote:Here is a cavern complex I was messing around with last night. Stocking the maps is becoming the bigger issue. I have never random stocked a map before but built this with the idea that I would.

I'm getting better at this. Adventures are my forte, but I cannot draw maps to save my life (at least not publisher quality maps--I'm okay around the table). More and more, what I have been doing is taking a premade map and stocking it from scratch (see Atarin's Delve). What I do is stare at the map for an unnaturally long time and try to figure out what types of monsters would live there, what type of natural animals would creep in, and what type of creatures had lived there in the ancient past. If you can answer those three questions, it makes it a lot easier to start stocking.

Also, I start by naming the rooms first, starting with the most obvious (entry halls, guard chamber, sinkhole rooms, underground lakes, etc.). This makes it easier to fill in the blanks as you go.

Again, awesome maps!

Pete

Hey Pete,

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah it isn't so much not being able to stock as it is map ideas keep dragging me away. I am planning on writing this one up like B1. I will create the encounters and the GM places them. It is kind of funny that you said that about the naming the rooms. I went through and thought about the natural caverns I have been in and named the rooms and did a little write up on them.

I am planning on posting the map and writeup together.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Black Wyvern » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Here is another one; mines with multiple lairs. Using the same technique I used for the remapping of the Caves of Chaos. Instead of using the marquee tool to cut out perfect squares I used the lasso tool to roughly sketch out the rooms, the same technique for rough caverns. I like this style. It is less refined than using the marquee tool. I don't find myself as concerned with sticking to the grid.

Now before I do anymore mapping I am going to stock these darn things.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Black Wyvern » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:29 pm

Here is another one. I call it "Mountain Keep". I use TSR's Known World in my campaigns. I was thinking of using this for a Glantri Wizard Prince's secluded tower.

Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Black Wyvern » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:45 am

Continuing with the B2 remapping. Here is the hex wilderness map, with a half a sheet of paper of original map added to each side. I still have some encounters to move and add. Guess the image is a little to big for the screen. Here is a link. http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/TheBlackWyvern/B2-Wilderness-Expanded.png

Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Black Wyvern » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Been a while since I have done any mapping. Here is one I just made for a S&W Whitebox game I am running.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Previous

Return to Maps and Map Making