Hi! Looking for advices!

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Hi! Looking for advices!

Postby ArtemisEntreri » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi! First post here! Nice to meet ya all!

Here's the thing: a couple of years ago I slowly came back to old stuff. This "back to the roots" process is kinda complete: I'm running mostly AD&D games or planning to do so in the near future (2e right now, slowly reverting in 1e)...

I really need to jump into some classic staff too, it's compelling lol

I was lookin' for a nice grab on ebay for the B/X or BECMI stuff, but it's kinda unaffordable right now... So I noticed LL and it seems the most accurate clone in the market.
If I got it correctly, it's more B/X oriented, with small differences.

I know it might be the "wrong" place to ask (since it's obviously good for any of ya, lol), but: is it worth? Can he fully replace the old feel? I got the free no-art pdf and it seems like that, but I don't play an actual B/X game since 97 and I don't want to get overexcited by melancholy :)
'cause I can't play with PDFs (I'm a pen & paper guy and still write down my game world/campaigns with pencils xD) and I would buy the actual book.

Any further advice is welcome (about LL modules or something).

Thanks in advance!
ArtemisEntreri

Re: Hi! Looking for advices!

Postby bighara » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:20 pm

LL is extremely close to BX, both in mechanics and feel. To the point that they are nearly interchangeable. There are a few small, deliberate differences that were included in the rules to avoid possible IP issues (CHA modifiers were reversed ±, etc.).

Advanced Edition Companion gives you the feel that many of us geezers experienced back when we made the switch to AD&D from Basic. We kind of tacked on new rules to our existing games. If you've been playing AD&D, the AEC is a good bridge between the two (BX & 1e).

There are many OSR publishers out there with great LL material. The old TSR modules work fine to with minimal to no tweaking. I ran an entire B10 Night's Dark Terror campaign with LL.
bighara

Postby ArtemisEntreri » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks, at first!! :)

One question: the AEC has actual different rules, or just (as I get it) adds AD&D elements with the same rule set of the basic book?
ArtemisEntreri

Postby bighara » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:38 pm

AEC is not a separate game or rules system. It is –as the name suggests– a companion for the core LL rules. It adds more "advanced" elements like AD&D type classes (Monk, Illusionist, etc.), separating race & class if desired, and so forth.
bighara

Postby ArtemisEntreri » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:36 pm

Thanks again!!

So: Outside, AEC and the campaign setting Amherth i've already ordered, is there some LL material you'd advice? Other stuff For the setting, Adventures... What? xD
ArtemisEntreri

Postby kipper » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:52 pm

I just posted this exact same advice on another thread, but doesn't hurt to repeat it here I guess :D!

My personal favourite supplement is "Anomalous Subsurface Environment", highly recommended! http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/PatW

I also enjoyed "Realms of Crawling Chaos" and "Stonehell" (both also available at Lulu and possibly other shops).
kipper

Postby bighara » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:39 pm

kipper's choices are good ones, but I wouldn't get too bogged down in supplements, etc. right off the starting block.

Just the rule books and a starter adventure (purchased or homebrewed) will get you and your group going nicely.

I have seen whole campaigns that lasted a year or more launched from just the Basic rules (D&D or LL) and module B2 Keep on the Borderlands. :D
bighara

Postby ArtemisEntreri » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:47 pm

Thanks!

This game is so inspiring that I've already planned a setting (sandboxy one, like 40 pages or so) and dozens of classes and pregens. :) Opening a thread about that.

This game is insane and easy to hack. Can't wait playing it!

I really hope they won't abandon it...
ArtemisEntreri

Return to Labyrinth Lord