Long winded, (sort of)newbie intro post/thank you...

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Long winded, (sort of)newbie intro post/thank you...

Postby arslayer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:46 am

First, I would like to thank Mr. Proctor for taking up the daunting task of bringing back a piece of classic rpg history. Second, I would like to introduce myself as a newbie/returning rpg'er. My first introduction to pen and paper rpgs was the Moldvay version of D&D. It was the early to mid 90's, but that was all my friend's father had at the time; it was the most fun I've had playing any game. My older cousins all played AD&D 2e. I enjoyed it, but felt that there was more die rolling and not enough fun. I didn't play another rpg until I stumbled upon LL on accident (I am now 30 so you can do the math on your own). I recently purchased the 4e "Red Box" excited that I could relive a part of my imaginative youth. As soon as I read through the rules and looked at the character sheet I was disappointed that it was not the same game I remembered. It was not what I wanted to play, nor was it anything I would run for my group of buddies. I was given a recommendation to try out Pathfinder, and read through a rulebook; I still had the same feeling as I did with the 4e or even the 2e. I'm not taking anything away from any of the newer editions or Pathfinder, but from a casual gamers persepective (Monopoly is my favorite board game, and I play Skyrim on Easy) I feel that LL or any of the other OSRs I've now read about are the perfect system to get a group of friends together, run a quick dungeon hack, possibly kill a few of my players, and eat pizza and drink beer until we are ready to call it a night. I've lurked here for a while, and didn't see too many posts from anyone who is either getting into rpg's for the first time or returning after more than a decade to play them. Just because something is old, doesn't mean its broken. Just 2cp from someone not as serious about the hobby (but still appreciates it!).
arslayer

Re: Long winded, (sort of)newbie intro post/thank you...

Postby kjc » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:17 am

Only 30!!! Your just a punk kid! :o :lol:
Just kidding! Welcome friend, you'll like it here. :D
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Spanningtree » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:31 am

You are in the right place my friend! Great to have you!
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby arslayer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:57 am

kjc wrote:Only 30!!! Your just a punk kid!

I get that a lot lately. :D I am certainly glad to be here. It's refreshing to know that I'm not the only one who likes to sit down with family/friends and enjoy a good game. The couple of games I have run have been more straightforward Diablo-esque dungeon hacks (i.e. there is an evil, and it is in the bottom of that dungeon... kill it), but everyone seems to have a good time. This is the first p&p my friends and my wife have ever been exposed to and they seem to be having a blast. It isn't rules heavy, and it can be as epic or mundane as you need it to be. I am of the opinion that if any RPG can appeal to the mainstream masses, it will be an OSR like LL. I only wish my opinions carried more weight!

-Davin
arslayer

Postby dawnrazor » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi arslayer!

We stopped playing D&D back in 1989 and RPGs in 1994, due to "life" (studies, careers, kids etc). I started playing in -81 or -82 with Moldway/Cook B/X and after some time we went on to AD&D, but like you I had my best experiences with B/X D&D.

After stumbling over the OSR sites like Dragonsfoot and various old school D&D blogs I managed to gather most of our old D&D gang and after something like 6 months of lobbying we played our first D&D session (using Rules Cyclopedia D&D) in march 2011. That's after a 22 year hiatus! And now we play about once or twice a month, 6-9hrs/session.

I also introduced my 9 year old son using a Swedish version of Mentzer BEC(MI) D&D and we're planning to run an adventure for some of his friends too :)

At the moment we're playing Call of Cthulhu (a campaign we never finished back in 1994), and coming up is a Pathfinder campaign by one of the players (yes - I get to be a player!!)

And my forthcoming project will be a Labyrinth Lord (+ AEC) campaign set in the World Between (Tales of the Grotesque and Dungeonesque).

The fun thing is that some of our wives and kids are now showing interest in RPG:ing, so there's a lot of opportunities for gaming!

Long post, I know, but here's another long-absent gamer back on track :)

Good luck with your gaming!
dawnrazor

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:32 pm

Welcome new folks!
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion