Labyrinth Lord & The OSR

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Labyrinth Lord & The OSR

Postby hartwell » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:17 pm

A lot of gamers have tried to explain the OSR. Now it's my turn: http://digitalorc.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-abcs-of-osr.html

And in so doing, I give Labyrinth Lord a lot of love.
hartwell

Re: Labyrinth Lord & The OSR

Postby Dyson Logos » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:29 pm

I have such a love/hate relationship with the OSR...
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby hartwell » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Yeah, there was a very strong negative reaction over on Dragonsfoot. I may just stop using OSR and say "Old School" instead. It's become such a loaded term.
hartwell

Postby Scott Anderson » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:54 pm

I think it's brilliant :)
Scott Anderson

Postby greyarea » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:16 pm

Good stuff.

I like the games I play. Many are considered OSR, some aren't, some are disputed by those who care. I don't: I just like to play games.
greyarea

Postby AndrewNI » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:42 pm

Nice article.

I wasn't aware that the term 'OSR' had negative connotations for some people. This is probably because I'm not a member of many forums.

As I am a young gamer, old school gaming isn't a revival or a renaissance for me; it's all 'new'. If it wasn't for the existence of websites, forums, and blogs, I may never have discovered the hobby. For this reason, I am grateful for the fact that these online spaces have been created. It could be argued, however, that they would have existed regardless of the OSR, whatever it is. I'm not sure, having arrived late to the party.
AndrewNI

Postby hartwell » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:50 pm

AndrewNI wrote:Nice article.

I wasn't aware that the term 'OSR' had negative connotations for some people. This is probably because I'm not a member of many forums.

As I am a young gamer, old school gaming isn't a revival or a renaissance for me; it's all 'new'. If it wasn't for the existence of websites, forums, and blogs, I may never have discovered the hobby. For this reason, I am grateful for the fact that these online spaces have been created. It could be argued, however, that they would have existed regardless of the OSR, whatever it is. I'm not sure, having arrived late to the party.

You're a great example of how the OSR "works". Thanks!
hartwell

Postby Griffith » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:19 am

hartwell wrote:A lot of gamers have tried to explain the OSR. Now it's my turn: http://digitalorc.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-abcs-of-osr.html

And in so doing, I give Labyrinth Lord a lot of love.

I applaud the credit you give David "Zeb" Cook. I am such a big fan of his. His name should be right up there along Gygax 'cause it just wouldn't be the same game without David "Zeb" Cook. He has produced one masterpiece after the other; Slave Pits of the Undercity, Dwellers of the Forbidden City, The Isle of Dread, Master of the Desert Nomads, Temple of Death, Oriental Adventures, Time of the Dragon (Taladas), Planescape, D&D Expert Set (following Moldvay's basic), the 2E PHB and DMG, not to mention Star Frontiers and much, much more.
Great job :!:
Griffith

Postby hartwell » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:11 am

Thanks! I couldn't agree more! (pertaining to your Zeb comments, not about myself, that is) Thanks Griffith!
hartwell

Postby The Lizard of Oz » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:10 pm

That thread was headed directly to Mordor but seems to now be winding it's way back towards the Shire. :)

"Thumbs up" from me for the Zeb kudos as well. 2E was my first romance.

As for "OSR", for me it's a useful catch-most for products I'd likely be interested.
No man is more dangerous than one convinced of his own moral superiority.
The Lizard of Oz

Next

Return to Open Discussion