Labyrinth Lord Red box version ?

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Labyrinth Lord Red box version ?

Postby Blood axe » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:19 pm

Greetings fellow Gamers,

I started playing D&D and RPgs with the old Moldvay Red Box. (1981) You got the red cover rulebook, an adventure " Keep on the Borderlands" and some dice in a box. Id like to have a LL book thats about the same as the old red book, about 60 pages. It would be easy to print out to give to beginners or use for tourneys and one shot games. Just the basic rules , everything explained with examples and Levels 1-3. The regular LL book could be scaled back and edited, new parts added as needed. Is the LL pdf able to edited? Im wondering out loud how much effort this would take and if I could try it out myself. My computer skills are limited though.

Thoughts?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: Labyrinth Lord Red box version ?

Postby merias » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:22 pm

Sounds like a fun project. I'm guessing you would need permission to distribute it with any of the original artwork, even for free. AFAIK PDF's can only be edited with the commercial version of Acrobat, which costs a lot (there may be other ways I'm not aware of). However, there is the text version of LL available - you could copy that into your own document template, and fill it with public domain art. If I were to try something like this, I would use the freely available BFRPG Libre Office document format. You could just download the BF core rules or one of the supplements, delete all of the content in Libre Office and tweak the format to suit.
merias

Re: Labyrinth Lord Red box version ?

Postby Blood axe » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:55 pm

Thanks Merias.

I looked at my old book, it was 64 pages and that was monsters, dungeon master advice, etc.
A players book could probably be 40 pages. A boo with bare bones LL rules could easily come under 64 pages. (with DM material)
So Players Guide 40 or less, regular DM/players book 64 or less. Less than the current 134 pages. Might be aesier for new players to grasp and to print out.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Return to Open Discussion