[Fanzine] Gauging Interest

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

What Would Your Involvement Most Likely Be?

I would probably contribute something (art, writing, maps, etc.) to the first issue. I would expect to get a free copy of the PDF at the very least.
32%
I would contribute, but I don't work for free. I would expect a free copy of the PDF plus some type of freelance pay.
8%
I would be willing to pay a nominal fee for a decent fanzine, but I probably won't contribute anything.
48%
It's a fanzine. Heck no I'm not going to pay for it! It should be given out for free.
12%

Total votes : 25

[Fanzine] Gauging Interest

Postby petespahn » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi guys. I know the idea has been floated before. I'm thinking of something in the range of 18-32 pages that contains anything from art, maps, short fiction, adventures, new monsters/magic items/spells/etc. It would be heavily dependent on fan/publisher submissions of course. I've been considering this for some time and am trying to see how much interest is out there. The biggest issue I see is it worthwhile to make this a "for pay" zine with a little higher production values or do we keep it simple (and free). Let me hear your thoughts?

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Re: [Fanzine] Gauging Interest

Postby Skathros » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Judging by where this was posted, I'm assuming you are envisioning a LabLord mag as opposed to a Goblinoid Games game mag.
WIZARDS' LORE: A Wizards' World fan site & home to Dungeon Delving Games.
OSRWTF: A more critical look at the movement from a disenchanted fan.
Skathros

Postby Freedom92 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Personally I like my fanzines to be free in pdf form with a POD option available for those who wish to have a hard copies. The option for contributors obtaining a physical copy of the book for their work is also well regarded, who doesnt like to see their work in physical form?
Freedom92

Postby shart2069 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:04 pm

What is your reference point for "production values"?

I considered something like ENCOUNTER to have really nice production quality for a PDF fanzine.

Can download all 4 existing issues at link:

http://www.encountermagazine.au2.com/

(In fact I wonder if the amount of work making it look that good may have contributed to it only lasting 4 issue? Maybe it was almost TOO GOOD for a free PDF?)
BLOG: https://almostoldschool.wordpress.com/

http://www.meetup.com/Hudson-Valley-Labyrinth-Looters/

"There are three objectives in D&D: collecting treasure, gaining experience points and, most importantly, staying alive." - What is Dungeons & Dragons? p.86
shart2069

Postby Vile » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:18 pm

shart2069 wrote:(In fact I wonder if the amount of work making it look that good may have contributed to it only lasting 4 issue? Maybe it was almost TOO GOOD for a free PDF?)

I'm always amazed at the quality of free online 'zines - and I do sometimes wonder if we wouldn't see a lot more of them if they were less ambitious. I'd be happy with very basic artwork and a few pages of articles, as long as it came out frequently and kept coming out for years and years and years.
The BLUEHOLME™ Project
Vile

Postby Koren n'Rhys » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:18 pm

I have to agree with that. In this day of desktop publishing, everyone seems to think they've got to have a product that looks professionally produced before they'll put it out there. I'm as guilty as anyone on that count. Encounter was an awesome mag, and I wish it had lasted longer. Vile has a great point on doing something shorter and more sustainable. I liked Dyson's Dodecahedron, the few issues he produced anyway. 12 digest pages and done, nice layout but not too fancy. THOSE are what I'd like to see more of. It seems like something that small could easily be a community effort. A couple short columns, a couple 1-2 page mechanics articles (class, spells, monsters, whatever) and an adventure that's 4-5 pages long. That would be awesome.

ETA: I also liked the layout/design of OD&Dities Issues 7,8 & 9.
Obligatory Blogroll:
Kingdoms in Trevail for my RC D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"
RetroCyberpunk where I work on a Shadowrun retro-clone[/size]
Koren n'Rhys

Postby Dyson Logos » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:11 pm

I'd be willing to freelance for a paid zine, but I'm too busy to put work into a free one for nothing at this point. That's why the Dodecahedron has fallen silent.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby petespahn » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:34 am

Thanks for the responses. Now I have to check out why I'm not getting notifications to my posts!

Ok, so what I mean by production values is basically maps and artwork. If I have to pay for them, I'm going to have to charge for the PDF and print products and I'd like to avoid that if possible. If everyone is satisfied with 18 - 32 pages of text broken up by a few tables and the occasional piece of donated art, I can look towards a free PDF and a nominal cost for the print product.The layout is going to be simple, no frills, done by me, so that's not an issue. If you've seen any of my products you'll know what I'm talking about.

As of right now I'm planning a quarterly magazine with the first issue available at the beginning of July. I'm going to make a more detailed list of the types of submissions I'm looking for and as of now, yes, it's only going to be for Labyrinth Lord/AEC, since that's what I'm running and am most familiar with.

I'll post more info soon, but please keep up the discussion. I'd certainly like to hear what sort of submissions/articles you'd like to see, things that would be helpful for you to make running your games easier. I personally like seeing new and interesting monsters, but I also like detailed locales like taverns, smithys, etc.---places that come with interesting NPCs and a few adventure hooks that can be easily dropped into any game.

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby elf23 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:10 am

petespahn wrote:I also like detailed locales like taverns, smithys, etc.---places that come with interesting NPCs and a few adventure hooks that can be easily dropped into any game.

That kind of thing sounds really cool. Small, fun, interesting locations or "happenings" which can be dropped in anywhere.
elf23

Postby Dyson Logos » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:40 am

If I maintain copyright on the images, I'll be willing to contribute a map per issue that will not appear on the blog for at least two months after the release of the issue. Would that help?
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord