Safari World setting

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Safari World setting

Postby gentleman john » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:24 pm

It's a wet Sunday afternoon over here, and I'm slightly bored. I've been going through my files, and I have found the beginnings of an alternative setting for for Mutant Future. The setting is my take on the (slightly obscure) Australian game Hunter Planet. The PCs are aliens whop have come to Earth intent on hunting down its native lifeforrms.

I have run games in this setting at a couple of conventions. They have usually ended up in complete and utter farcical massacres as the PCs bite off more than they can deal with. Sometime I may even turn it into a science fiction setting.

It is a work in progress, so if anyone wants to put in some suggestions as to what they would like to see, leave a note.

Link to the PDF on Google: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9m0sXWdlPDQb0pLTXhkRVZURlk/edit?usp=sharing
gentleman john

Re: Safari World setting

Postby JDJarvis » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:39 am

How do you haave hunting feel like hunting as opposed to wandering about and having. Random encounters?
JDJarvis

Re: Safari World setting

Postby gentleman john » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:49 pm

My method in the con games was to create a map for the location where the hunters are going, and then populate it. Once you know what is in the area, then it is relatively easy to set up signs that the PCs can be looking for. For example, one of the first games I ran was set in a small American town. The PCs were given clues as to what they might find:

- Lights in the distance indicating habitation.
- Roads, implying that there might be travellers.
- Radio signals, giving them something to home in on. Or avoid.
- Power lines to follow to major industrial centres.
- Moving lights and noises from a drive-in cinema.

This makes the adventure more akin to a wilderness crawl where the PCs set the objectives.

It has to be said, most of the fun came from the PCs arguing with each other, and discovering that humans are not that much of a pushover once they get going. It's always good to keep track of how much mayhem the PCs cause so they can get their just reward.

I think I only ever had one group survive to get off-world ...
-
gentleman john

Return to Mutant Future