Finding traps: thieves and everyone else

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Finding traps: thieves and everyone else

Postby tumblingdice » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:07 pm

On pg. 45 of the core rules it states that all characters, except dwarves, have a 1 in 6 (16 2/3%) chance of finding traps. On pg. 13 it states that a 1st-level thief has but a 14% chance of finding traps, which jumps to merely 17% at 2nd level.

Has anyone else successfully handled this discreapancy? It's been suggested that a thief could try twice: once as a Joe Adventurer, and then again as a thief if unsuccessful the first time. I've seen done and be more inclined to give thieves a 5% bonus to this ability. Alternately, Joe Adventurer could be given a 1 in 8 (12 1/2%) chance, which may not sit well with legions of Joe Adventurers. :)
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Re: Finding traps: thieves and everyone else

Postby Dyson Logos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:54 pm

I allow thief abilities to run in ADDITION to the standard abilities.

So everyone has a 2 in 6 chance of surprise, thieves who are moving silently and hiding in shadows get a 2 in 6 chance, and if that fails the appropriate stealth checks are made.

Everyone has a 1 in 6 chance of finding traps, and a thief also has his find traps chance. I roll a white d6 and red 2d6 at the same time (we use my 2d6 thief skills instead of d100)
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby bighara » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:21 pm

The easiest way to handle it is to say use the better of the two chances.

Also, remember that the % is for removing traps as well as finding them.

Some people play that the "default" chance to find a trap is for simple ones like covered pits, trip-lines, snares, deadfalls ("rocks from the ceiling"), etc.; but only a trained thief is going to find complex/mechanical traps like poison needles, spring loaded blades/arrows, etc.
bighara

Postby Blood axe » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:23 pm

I use a DEX bonus as well as a bonus if they have superior Thieves Tools.
Also a Thief raises level quickly and will outpace everyone else. Thieves can also remove/disarm traps- others cant. I allow others to find obvious larger traps (pits) but not small/professional traps.(poison needles in a lock)
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby austrodavicus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:43 pm

tumblingdice wrote:It's been suggested that a thief could try twice: once as a Joe Adventurer, and then again as a thief if unsuccessful the first time.

I do the above, but also add:

Blood axe wrote:Thieves can also remove/disarm traps- others cant. I allow others to find obvious larger traps (pits) but not small/professional traps.(poison needles in a lock)

...which combined seems to balance things out. In other words, for your average adventurer a 1 in 6 might indicate success, but it's not automatic - It depends on the complexity of the trap. Whereas for a thief a 1 is an automatic success. And of course if the thief rolls 2-6, then they roll again using the thief % chance for a second bite at the cherry.
austrodavicus

Postby Dyson Logos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:54 pm

bighara wrote:Some people play that the "default" chance to find a trap is for simple ones like covered pits, trip-lines, snares, deadfalls ("rocks from the ceiling"), etc.; but only a trained thief is going to find complex/mechanical traps like poison needles, spring loaded blades/arrows, etc.

Generally speaking I believe that most poison needles are not complex nor mechanical. They are pointy protuberances somewhere that a thief would be expected to grab - the back of a lock, a spot on the back of the doorknob, the edges of a window sill and so on.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Blood axe » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:36 am

Dyson Logos wrote:
bighara wrote:Some people play that the "default" chance to find a trap is for simple ones like covered pits, trip-lines, snares, deadfalls ("rocks from the ceiling"), etc.; but only a trained thief is going to find complex/mechanical traps like poison needles, spring loaded blades/arrows, etc.

Generally speaking I believe that most poison needles are not complex nor mechanical. They are pointy protuberances somewhere that a thief would be expected to grab - the back of a lock, a spot on the back of the doorknob, the edges of a window sill and so on.

Your campaign, your rules- my campaign, my rules. :D
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby tumblingdice » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:05 am

Thanks, everyone, for your opinions. I now have enough information to make a decision.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby samwise7 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:21 am

I changed the lower level thief Find & Remove Traps skills to 33% until it improves higher than 33% of course.
"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients
http://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg
samwise7

Postby petespahn » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:29 am

bighara wrote:The easiest way to handle it is to say use the better of the two chances.

Also, remember that the % is for removing traps as well as finding them.

Some people play that the "default" chance to find a trap is for simple ones like covered pits, trip-lines, snares, deadfalls ("rocks from the ceiling"), etc.; but only a trained thief is going to find complex/mechanical traps like poison needles, spring loaded blades/arrows, etc.

This hasn't come up in game but I'd be inclined to handle it this way I think.

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Return to Labyrinth Lord