Goblinoid Games Travels Back in Time!

For discussion of the TIMEMASTER RPG now owned by Goblinoid Games, originally published by Pacesetter in 1984.

Goblinoid Games Travels Back in Time!

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:12 am

Goblinoid Games has always taken inspiration from the spirit of the 70s and 80s, publishing retro games such as Starships & Spacemen, Labyrinth Lord, and Mutant Future. Now we are pleased to announce that Goblinoid Games has been recruited into the Time Corps and is traveling back in time to bring a new classic title into the family.

Goblinoid Games has purchased the rights to TIMEMASTER: Adventures in the 4th Dimension! Originally published by Pacesetter in 1984, TIMEMASTER was an innovative RPG for its time (pun intended), presenting one of the earliest percentile “chart-based” game systems and a heavily supported and playable game of time travel; a feat few have been able to repeat. TIMEMASTER never suffered from the commonly perceived problems of time travel games, as it set out a very playable premise based on a number of “laws” of time travel, and infinite universes. A referee can run highly accurate historical games if desired, or fudge the details since it is in the distant past of the setting or even in an alternate timeline.

Lurching into action, your battered chronoscooter crosses the void of time and space. Another lurch, and the vertigo fades. The countryside comes into view. Knights in armor battle, clanging sword against shield, and then someone blasts at your neck with a laser beam. Once again, all of Time is a mess, and as an agent of the Time Corps, you must set this world straight or die trying! Adventure to any place, any time, in this universe and beyond! The TimeMaster Roleplaying Game makes you master of the "Fourth Dimension", guiding you to the ultimate adventure in history, legend, and science fiction. fight cunning aliens and savage renegades who twist Time to their own purposes. Only skill and wit stand between the world you know and absolute chaos!
The current time in the game is in the 72nd Century, leaving a wide swath of time between (our) today and the future for the referee to design. History in your campaign could have taken various paths over such a vast time period. For example, characters could go back to the beginnings of interstellar travel, or the post-apocalyptic period following the blights and radioactive fallout of the third world war, if you envision your milieu following that timeline. The possibilities are quite literally endless.

Join the ranks of the Time Corps, and you can be the Master of Time!

The TIMEMASTER product line is currently available in electronic format, and in the coming months the line will be released via print on demand. Note: the electronic files currently available are identical to what has been offered previously. As the books become ready for POD the electronic files will be updated as well, and will be much higher quality. Anyone who purchases the currently version will be able to download the upgrades later free of charge!
For people unfamiliar with this game or who just need to fill gaps in the product line, the entire electronic product line is being offered at 60% off of the regular PDF price for a limited time! The product line currently includes the original rule set that included a rule book, sample adventure, and campaign guide in addition to 12 modules and an indispensable expansion book.

Over the next year we plan to support the TIMEMASTER product line in several ways, so watch for future announcements!
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Re: Goblinoid Games Travels Back in Time!

Postby Lord Kilgore » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:26 am

Hmmm. Not familiar with this one. But it looks good.

Will have to check it out.
Lord Kilgore was last seen entering the Lost Caverns some years ago...
Lord Kilgore

Postby Blood axe » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:50 am

I really know nothing about this game. Honestly, before Id buy it I would have to see a preview or some good reviews.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:03 am

Here is a pretty good review.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby greyarea » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:17 am

I remember seeing an ad for this back in the day (in Dragon, maybe?) and was always interested in it.

Very cool get. I'm really interested in checking this out.
greyarea

Postby greyarea » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:52 am

That didn't take long. Purchased and glanced at. Reminds me a bit of Marvel Super Heros or Champions with some of the rules and the setting is very interesting. I could see games taking a more mystery approach, like a Connie Willis novel, or a more action approach, like Dr Who or Time Cop.

I'm actually interested in running a PBP game here once I absorb these rules more. It will almost certainly have to stick with Basic Action without the Heavy Weapons rules in the PBP setting, but I think it would work well.
greyarea

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:54 am

greyarea wrote:That didn't take long. Purchased and glanced at. Reminds me a bit of Marvel Super Heros or Champions with some of the rules and the setting is very interesting. I could see games taking a more mystery approach, like a Connie Willis novel, or a more action approach, like Dr Who or Time Cop.

I'm actually interested in running a PBP game here once I absorb these rules more. It will almost certainly have to stick with Basic Action without the Heavy Weapons rules in the PBP setting, but I think it would work well.

The game was designed by ex-TSR folks so the similarity is understandable. They split off from TSR in the early 80s to form Pacesetter. The supplement Timetricks adds a lot of info and is an excelent addition to the core game IMHO. As time goes on I want to take those core rules and create some other games based on the same engine.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby BlUsKrEEm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:34 am

I did dig Chill, and the setting does sound intriguing. I'll have to give it a shot.
BlUsKrEEm

Postby gentleman john » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:30 am

Used to play this one "back in the day", and I still have my set packed away somewhere. If you are going to buy the game, I recommend buying the Timetricks supplement. Basically it is a manual of dirty tricks for time travellers, and it gives a metric shed-load more options for players.

It's a good job you mentioned that you had bought the rights to this, otherwise I would never have known. Drive-thru haven't flagged it up as a new release on the part of Goblinoid Games, but it's not surprising given it was a straight swap from one publisher to another.
gentleman john

Postby shadowheart469 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:36 am

I remember this one, as the game I wanted to get in my Doctor Who phase (and passed on when the actual Doctor Who game came out).

I only know of it by reputation, but what I've heard is good ... I call this a good snag for Goblinoid Games ... am off to RPGNow. :D
shadowheart469

Next

Return to TIMEMASTER