Turgenev's Map Thread

This forum is for sharing your maps, and map making tips or ideas.

Re: Turgenev's Map Thread

Postby Turgenev » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:23 pm

Here is a work-in-progress map from my own campaign. It is the second level of the Cave of Shadows adventure I'm been working on/running. Click to enlarge.

The rough breakdown is as follows (so far):

21. The Green Sun: At the ceiling of the cave is an ancient relic from another dimension that resembles a 3' diameter glowing green sun whose rays cause extreme ennui to those exposed to it (with exception to the moon beasts and their men of Leng slaves obviously).

22. Servants of the Green Sun: Men of Leng guards whose job is to take those afflicted by the green sun's rays and hold them prisoner until collected by the moon beasts (who use slaves for either labour deeper in the caves, or as a food source, or for sacrifices to Nyarlathotep).

23. Cells of the Green Sun: The holding area for those under the sun's ennui causing rays. The current prisoners includes a dwarf (Stroffin Coalheart, 8th level Dwarven Thief) in cell (b) and three local savage tribesmen Ushak warriors in cell (c).

24. Carbivorous Displacer Apes: Who are waiting to be transported to the lower levels of the caves. The apes will obey the commands of the Men of Leng.

25. Iridescent Cave: Large cave with multi-coloured hues running through the relatively smooth walls and ceiling. Along the southern end is a cliff edge that opens to a much larger cavern.

26. Gargoyle Lords: This 38' high cave is used as a nesting area for a clutch of seven Gargoyle Lords who are slaves to the moon beasts.

27. The Dreadful Monolith: In the centre of the cave is a 20' tall black stone monolith, with green cartilage-like ridges running along the edges. This cartilage is phosphorescent and glows in the dark. Each side of the square base of the monolith is 10' in length while the monolith tapers to 3' in diameter at the tip. All within the cave, with the exception of the moon beasts and their slaves, will be uneasy in the presence of the monolith. The monolith is dedicated to the crawling chaos Nyarlathotep.

28. The Fungi Cave: The walls of this cave are covered with sickly blue fungi of all shapes and sizes that originate from the frigid wastelands of the Plateau of Leng.

29. Guard Post: Men of Leng act as guards in this cave.

30. Torture Cave

31. Guard Post: More men of Leng guards but they have the job of securing the sleeping prisoner found in the next cave.

32. The Sleeping Prisoner: Randolph Carter can be found in this dark, dank cave. The moon beasts in Yrthea (my campaign world) believe they have captured the real Randolph Carter and are not aware that it is only a dream construct of a sleeping Carter who is actually located in the Dreamlands (just after the cats helped him escape the moon beasts on the moon).

33. a) The Shantak Cave: The floor of this cave is deep with greasy guano.

33. b) Shantak Nests: Four shantaks have nested in this large opening.

34. Cathedral Cavern: Named because the cave ceiling has a cathedral-like arch to it.

35. Deep One Pool: This cave has a underground pool that connects to the deep one lair found in the nearby Moon Pool.

36. Men of Leng Encampment: This gigantic cave has windowless stone huts that the men of Leng use as homes. Various firepits light the area. When not in service of the moon beasts, the men of Leng dance naked around the fires performing gruesome rites in Nyarlathotep's name.

That's all I have so far. The above is just a quick sample from my actual notes.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:24 pm

Time for a new Old School Blue map. Click to enlarge.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby rredmond » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:29 pm

Old school blue map = coolness.
--Ron--
DOWNLOAD THE NEW ISSUE -- FREE NOW!
CLICK ON THE BANNER BELOW!!
Oak Rapp - screaming "die" in orcish b/c it sounds cooler.
Phaser on stun *pew pew*. Phaser on kill *poo poo*!
rredmond

Postby Turgenev » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:32 am

Thanks Ron. Old School Blue is always fun to draw. ;)

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:10 pm

Another old school blue dungeon. Click to enlarge.

The two statues to the left of room #1 block their passageways but allow some visibility through them. Room 23 has a pool of water.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:11 pm

Another old school blue dungeon. Click to enlarge.

I think everything (re: map symbols) should be self-explanatory.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:53 pm

I haven't posted a map in a while so here's a dungeon. I'm trying something a bit different. Which version do people prefer, the standard black background or the grey hatch background?

Area #1 is a raised platform with stairs flanking either side leading to Area #2. The arrow slits/windows in the southern wall of Area #8 overlook the eastern side of the large pit/bridge at Area #3. The rest of the map icons/symbols should be self-explanatory.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:40 pm

I felt like experimenting with the overall style of the dungeon map and I came up with this. Click to enlarge. I'm also using a different look for the secret doors.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:05 pm

Here's a new map I did late last night. Click to enlarge.

* The secret trap door at Area 3 in the floor connects to the corridor that leads to Room 5.
* Room 15 has crumbled with age or it is a corridor that has collapsed.
* I picture Room 16 as crumbling away revealing a natural cave system. Don't get too close to the edge or you might go for a tumble.
* Caves 20 & 21 are under the dungeon layout.
* Cave 22 & 23 are separated by a chasm.
* Cave 24 has water.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:00 pm

I haven't posted anything in awhile (mainly due to work/commissions and ongoing health issues) so I figured I should do another dungeon map. Click for the larger version.

Map Details:
* I visualized areas 1 a; 16 b, c, d; 24 a, b; 31 a, b; and 41 a, b as being trapped with fireballs being fired from one end to the other (or some other type of trap as the DM wishes).
* Areas 8 and 17's floor sections act as elevators that descend to the lower elevations (or ascend if they are already lowered). The elevator in room 17/37 has no "safety" barrier along the northern, western, and southern sides so characters will have to make sure they don't fall off if they get too close to the edge while the elevator is moving. The elevator in area 8 doesn't have this problem since all four walls are enclosed until it reaches the bottom which then opens to the corridor (area 31).
* The stairs leading to area 10 is a slide trap where those caught by it run a risk of falling down the open well/pit. The well/pit is located over a lower passage.
* Area 44 has a pool of water.
* The rest of the map symbols should be self-explanatory.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

PreviousNext

Return to Maps and Map Making