1970s TV shows - curse you Amazon!

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

1970s TV shows - curse you Amazon!

Postby shart2069 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:55 pm

;)

Having just gotten season 1 of Wonder Woman, I went to Amazon to look for other TV shows from my childhood.

Found the Six-Million Dollar Man season sets, then saw JUST RELEASED at 57% off this week only Complete Series of The Incredible Hulk!

Man now I have to make a buying decision as I am trying to keep to some kind of budget.

Leaning towards The Incredible Hulk as the Six-Million Dollar Man sets will probably be available for similar prices later (I hope). Don't like being a guinea pig for a new release either (in case of bad discs of something).

Not that I am going to have time to watch them for a long, time, still working my way through Buck Rogers (I'm almost at the end of season 1), then after that I was planning on the original Battlestar Galactica.

(This is the kind of problem I have when the OSR blogosphere slows down during GenCon.)
BLOG: https://almostoldschool.wordpress.com/

http://www.meetup.com/Hudson-Valley-Labyrinth-Looters/

"There are three objectives in D&D: collecting treasure, gaining experience points and, most importantly, staying alive." - What is Dungeons & Dragons? p.86
shart2069

Re: 1970s TV shows - curse you Amazon!

Postby Blood axe » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:46 am

Great stuff!
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby shart2069 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:16 am

I'm trying to watch things I was exposed to before I ever found D&D.

Trying to recreate my mindset of back then, to try to get some imagination going again from the few embers...

July was too busy and I had to stop watching stuff.

I've started doing "Saturday Morning Cartoons" (usually not on a Saturday though) once a week again, watching in succession an episode of Flash Gordon, Thundarr the Barbarian, and Dungeons & Dragons.

Then an episode or two of Buck Rogers per week.

Plus a couple movies (I'm kind of doing in rotation Planet of the Apes, Bruce Lee, and Godzilla, with the occasional random SF / action movie thrown in - about 10 days ago I watched TRON).

I've started having weird dreams and getting little flashes of ideas that might be good for gaming, so I think it is working 8-)

"There are three objectives in D&D: collecting treasure, gaining experience points and, most importantly, staying alive." - What is Dungeons & Dragons? p.86
shart2069

Postby greyarea » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:38 am

Save yourself mountains of dough. Get a Netflix account. Many of those shows are on there.

Some of those shows are great. Some of those shows were great, you know, when you were nine.

Nostalgia can be a cruel mistress. Re-watching the old Dungeons and Dragons cartoons ruined a wonderful memory from my childhood.
greyarea

Postby seneschal » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:50 pm

My daughter loved the Dungeons and Dragons teaser set (nine "best of" episodes) I got her one Christmas. After viewing it with her and watching several more episodes on Youtube, I think the 'toon has held up reasonably well. Yeah, it's got a recurring villain, but then so did He-Man and Thundercats. Yeah, the kids never seem to get home, but then neither did the inhabitants of Gilligan's Island. Does it have the dramatic depth and star-studded voice talent of Disney's Gargoyles? No, but then few cartoons do.

I grew up watching Yogi Bear, Atom Ant, Tennessee Tuxedo and Underdog. Compared to them, Dungeons and Dragons is Shakespeare. :D
seneschal

Postby greyarea » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Si, si, Tennessee!

Sadly it didn't hold up for me. I watched it when it first came out, at least on the Saturdays I was able to convince my sisters to watch it and not something else. I also grew up with those same cartoons (and more) and none of them hold up particularly well to the harsh light of nostalgia either. :) Perhaps it just that something that was "so cool!!!" when I was a boy don't now.

Some other cartoons from that era held up better: Thundarr for example.
greyarea

Postby shart2069 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:53 pm

I'm not watching for "nostalgia;" I am watching to fill my head full of all kinds of story elements so my subconscious can make some weird associations.

All these shows are from when I was an age when I was MUCH more imaginative / creative than I am at age 44 today, so it is an attempt to reignite that imagination.

For instance just now I had an image of Mr. T wrestling a Cylon in the middle of Smurf Village; OK not sure exactly what to do with that one, but perhaps there is something I can steal from it for making a game setting or adventure or something.

If not maybe some other strange thought will pop up later.

shart2069

Postby seneschal » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:43 pm

"For instance just now I had an image of Mr. T wrestling a Cylon in the middle of Smurf Village; OK not sure exactly what to do with that one, but perhaps there is something I can steal from it for making a game setting or adventure or something."

Gee, sounds like a Starships and Spacemen campaign to me. :D

"Lay down the turbolaser, foo', before I unweld your rivets!"
seneschal

Postby excior » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:14 pm

shart2069 wrote:;)

Having just gotten season 1 of Wonder Woman, I went to Amazon to look for other TV shows from my childhood.

Found the Six-Million Dollar Man season sets, then saw JUST RELEASED at 57% off this week only Complete Series of The Incredible Hulk!

Man now I have to make a buying decision as I am trying to keep to some kind of budget.

Leaning towards The Incredible Hulk as the Six-Million Dollar Man sets will probably be available for similar prices later (I hope). Don't like being a guinea pig for a new release either (in case of bad discs of something).

Not that I am going to have time to watch them for a long, time, still working my way through Buck Rogers (I'm almost at the end of season 1), then after that I was planning on the original Battlestar Galactica.

(This is the kind of problem I have when the OSR blogosphere slows down during GenCon.)
NOt sure if your into the joy of owning them or just watching them but shows like Buck Rogers and the original Battlestar Galactica can be found on Netflix
excior

Return to Open Discussion