Intrest?

For discussion of the fantasy RPG WIZARDS' WORLD.

Re: Intrest?

Postby Spectral Hand » Wed May 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi everyone,

Skathros -- Very sorry to hear about the back problems.

Herb -- Welcome to the site. I wonder if the guy you played with was in some of my convention games. We ran them at most every convention in SoCal for about 3 years after WW was released.

Obviously my big plans about getting out a revised system for WW have yet to be fulfilled. My group abandoned waiting for me and started playing a zombie apocalypse game instead, but I still have delusions of getting this done someday. I didn't like that my revised version was starting to feel too complex (I want fast flowing combats), so I'm currently back at the drawing board. BTW, Skathros, in the new version I started by providing both an average and a range for racial primary attributes for PCs. Hopefully I'll remember to stick with that for monsters and include average values for all the secondary stats.
Spectral Hand

Postby Skathros » Fri May 03, 2013 4:17 pm

A post from the Archwizard himself! Cool! How have you been, David?
Using average stats and derived attributes would (in my humble opinion) speed things up. As it stands right now, WW plays really fast. The only element that's a little time consuming is monster creation and applying the derived traits based on whatever attribute (and level) you attribute to the critter. Of course, this is only time consuming for the GM. But maybe having critter displayed with an average stat as opposed to a range of stats would just complete the WW fast-playing experiance.

I have a write-up of both your Herald (cleric) and your Spontaneous Magic rules. Would you mind taking a look at them to see that i've gotten it down right? I only had your posts on the subject to go by.
WIZARDS' LORE: A Wizards' World fan site & home to Dungeon Delving Games.
OSRWTF: A more critical look at the movement from a disenchanted fan.
Skathros

Postby Spectral Hand » Tue May 07, 2013 8:01 pm

Hanging in there, Skathros. How about yourself?

My original plan when I set up WW was to have it play fast but to require a lot of prep. I enjoy spending time working on my characters (both thematically and mechanically), so I intentionally set things up to make PCs spend time making design choices. In retrospect, I'd say that the "high prep" decision was a bad call for GMs. It's one thing to spend a lot of time on a character you'll be playing across several sessions, and another entirely to spend a lot of time on a monster that is likely to make only a brief appearance before its untimely demise. I have hopeful delusions of revising WW over the summer (but note how successful I was at this last time I had such delusions...), and including average stats is definitely in the cards. That's just too much of an advantage in usability to pass up, so thanks very much for calling attention to this problem.

I'd love to see your write-ups of the Herald and Spontaneous Magic, and I'd be happy to send any thoughts that come to mind as I read them. :D
Spectral Hand

Postby Skathros » Tue May 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Spectral Hand wrote:I'd love to see your write-ups of the Herald and Spontaneous Magic, and I'd be happy to send any thoughts that come to mind as I read them. :D

Thanks for the help. I just wanna make sure I have both Heralds and Spont. Magic as you envisioned them.

I'm gonna grow this damn excellent game even if it kills me ;)
Skathros

Postby Spectral Hand » Thu May 09, 2013 12:33 am

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but did you post those write-ups somewhere? I don't see them here or on your WW website.
Spectral Hand

Postby Skathros » Fri May 10, 2013 12:32 am

I'll send them to you via PM. Just to make sure they're in line with what you posted/how you guys played it.
Skathros

Postby jeff » Fri May 10, 2013 5:04 am

Skath, a lot of us would like to see those write ups. :D
jeff

Postby Herb » Sat May 11, 2013 1:14 pm

@Spectral Hand: I really couldn't say. Besides my HS buddy the only details I remember about his group of one of them was from BEF Texas, so much that they had made a movie poster for him. It's quite possible one was from SoCal. University of Texas Austin pulls them from all over.

What I do remember is he loved the game enough to convince me to buy a book off him. He must have had around a dozen copies when he came to Austin given everyone in their group had one and he still had one left to sell to me.
Herb

Postby Skathros » Sat May 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Jeff, Herb...it's really great to have two new posters here! Jeff, I'll send it off to David after work today, to see if it meshes with how he ruled both Spont. Casting and Heralds/Clerics. David pretty much posted the rules up here on the boards, i'm just trying to make it prettier than a message board post.
Skathros

Postby Spectral Hand » Tue May 14, 2013 9:32 pm

@Herb: Interesting coincidence. I was at UT Austin for a few years, but that was quite a while after WW's heyday.

@Skathros: I didn't see a PM with the Spont Casting and Herald/Cleric stuff. Sorry if I'm being naggy, but I'm actually double-checking because I want to be sure I haven't lost it due to some technical glitch. Thanks!
Spectral Hand

Previous

Return to WIZARDS' WORLD