Shields Shall Be Splintered!

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Shields Shall Be Splintered!

Postby bighara » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:15 pm

petespahn wrote:I would think a character could "hold" a torch with a shield hand by gripping the strap and the torch at the same time. I would rule they could not "fight" while holding a torch in this manner.

I was assuming "holding" meant "during combat", but I agree, you could probably try to hold both just standing there or walking normally, but the shield would be unready and if you got surprised/hit, you'd probably drop the torch. (Possibly extinguishing it?)

For simplicity, I would just say no and move on, but YMMV.
bighara

Postby petespahn » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:02 pm

bighara wrote:if you got surprised/hit, you'd probably drop the torch. (Possibly extinguishing it?)

I think a saving throw vs. wands to avoid burning yourself if hit might make them look at other options. :)

Here's a thought - has anyone tried to use a torch as a "shield"? There are no rules for using fire to hold creatures at bay, but given the abstract nature of D&D/LL combat rules where opponents are assumed to be circling, feinting, parrying, etc. couldn't a torch be used to add a bonus of -1 to AC, but be automatically destroyed/dropped (splintered) if the character was struck?
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby jcftao » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:58 pm

petespahn wrote:Here's a thought - has anyone tried to use a torch as a "shield"? There are no rules for using fire to hold creatures at bay, but given the abstract nature of D&D/LL combat rules where opponents are assumed to be circling, feinting, parrying, etc. couldn't a torch be used to add a bonus of -1 to AC, but be automatically destroyed/dropped (splintered) if the character was struck?

I'd consider it the same as an off hand dagger. Wielder decides to use it offensively (+1 to hit) or defensively (-1 to AC) but not at same time.
jcftao

Previous

Return to Labyrinth Lord