What are you reading?

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Wulfgar22 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:16 am

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. Amazingly, she even mentions spidergoats: "She'd worn [...] a bulletproof vest made of silk from a spider/goat splice...".
Wulfgar22

Postby beedo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:14 am

monk wrote:I just got a glut of books for Christmas. It's ridiculous, really.

The Great Book of Amber by Zelazny
The High Crusade by Poul Anderson
Some Mars books by E. Rice Burroughs
The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane, and
The Conquering Sword of Conan by R. E. Howard
an awesome compilation of H.G. Wells' novels. this one --->http://search.barnesandnoble.com/HG-Wells/H-G-Wells/e/9781435114906/?itm=1&USRI=hg+wells+seven+novels
some other scifi as well as the spooky western stories of Howard and a collection of the "best of C. Ashton Smith"

Seeing as how I'm back at work monday, this is going to take me a while. However, I do still have an intense urge to use my gift card to pick up the beautiful EC Archive hardback collections of Weird Science and Tales from the Crypt.

Anyone else pick up some good reading? I'm always on the look out for some Science Fantasy, if anyone has recommendations.

monk

Reconnecting with Pulp Fantasy seems to be going around - I started a project to read /re-read most of the cool stuff from Appendix N in the AD&D DMG.

Right now I'm reading 'The Broken Sword' by Poul Anderson, and finished 'Three Hearts and Three Lions' just a little while ago. Would love to hear how 'The High Crusade is'.

Fritz Leiber and L Sprague de Camp coming up. I've read those REH books (I recently got "The Horror Stories of Robert E Howard") and I've read the Chronicles of Amber a few times (and that monster compilation Great Book of Amber) - good stuff.

I'd highly recommend Clark Ashton Smith.
beedo

Postby jasmith » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:18 am

I'm re-reading Leiber. I read Swords & Deviltry over the weekend and started on Swords in the Mist. While I enjoyed the F & GM series in my teens, I'm finding that I'm appreciating them a whole lot more, at 42. :)
jasmith

Postby Agrippa » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:44 am

If anyone wants to know I just checked out two novels yesterday. An annotated version of Bram Stoker's Dracula and the thirteenth book in the Dresden Files, Jim Butcher's Changes.
Agrippa

Postby shadowheart469 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:57 am

Piers Anthony's Castle Roogna
Jan Guillou's Arn: Vägen till Jerusalem
(English trans. Arn: The Road to Jerusalem).
shadowheart469

Postby monk » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:51 pm

beedo wrote:Reconnecting with Pulp Fantasy seems to be going around - I started a project to read /re-read most of the cool stuff from Appendix N in the AD&D DMG.

Right now I'm reading 'The Broken Sword' by Poul Anderson, and finished 'Three Hearts and Three Lions' just a little while ago. Would love to hear how 'The High Crusade is'.

Fritz Leiber and L Sprague de Camp coming up. I've read those REH books (I recently got "The Horror Stories of Robert E Howard") and I've read the Chronicles of Amber a few times (and that monster compilation Great Book of Amber) - good stuff.

I'd highly recommend Clark Ashton Smith.

Yeah, I must admit that my previous exposure to fantasy was pretty shabby. I grew up after the post-D&D boom of subpar fantasy, so I read a lot of mediocre TSR stuff in the 90s and missed out on all this awesome pulp lit. The first time I read a Conan story I thought, "So this is where the awesome comes from!"
Thurwin the Bibliophile, 1st level Fighter (Stonehell)

http://wizardsmutantslaserpistols.blogspot.com/
monk

Postby monk » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:54 pm

Agrippa wrote:If anyone wants to know I just checked out two novels yesterday. An annotated version of Bram Stoker's Dracula and the thirteenth book in the Dresden Files, Jim Butcher's Changes.

Annotated Dracula sounds interesting. I remember reading that in elementary school--got the copy from the book fair. I didn't understand it very well, though. It was above my head but I just really wanted to read about vampires.

monk

Postby monk » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:55 pm

jasmith wrote:I'm re-reading Leiber. I read Swords & Deviltry over the weekend and started on Swords in the Mist. While I enjoyed the F & GM series in my teens, I'm finding that I'm appreciating them a whole lot more, at 42. :)

I have some Leiber in the stack, too. Haha. I'm going to be able to keep myself busy for a LONG time.

monk

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:42 am

shadowheart469 wrote:Piers Anthony's Castle Roogna
Jan Guillou's Arn: Vägen till Jerusalem
(English trans. Arn: The Road to Jerusalem).

The Xanth series is entertaining. Castle Roogna is a favorite of mine. Long Live Jumper!!!! :D
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Mach Front » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:59 pm

jasmith wrote:I'm re-reading Leiber. I read Swords & Deviltry over the weekend and started on Swords in the Mist. While I enjoyed the F & GM series in my teens, I'm finding that I'm appreciating them a whole lot more, at 42. :)

Absolutely. When I read things, like...say..."Jewels in the Forest" as a teen, I thought: "Cool!". When I read it again about eight years ago in my late twenties I thought: "Holy S***, that's absolutely awesome!!!" (I'm thinking particularly of not just the prose, but the visuals of the their guide being smeared about the ceiling and floor, the frightened and wide-eyed girl walking across the stone field as Mouser watches and of course, the tower slapping down on the ground like the hand of an angry giant.) :)
Mach Front

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion