The Town That Was Not There

greyarea's Labyrinth Lord game

Moderator: greyarea

The Town That Was Not There

Postby greyarea » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:03 pm

It's nearly noon when you get to where the town of Wolford should be. Should be.

Where once stood the Rat and Pig on the edge of town and extending as far across where the city limits were, there is a pit. It is as if a giant shovel had removed the entire town in one fell swoop! All of it, just gone. From the huge Shrine of Garth to the Mercat Square where trading occurred, to the bank (!) to the Alderhall where you met with the seneschal. The manor of Lord Taris and even the run down tavern the Pikeman are all missing!

Roots poke from the earth down the sides of the pit, and down the steep embankment is the pit's sloping bottom, slowly filling with water from an exposed spring off to the side. Roads, including the one you are on, lead to the pit sides. The sod on the edge of the pit is torn, as if this was some violent, not smooth action.

Approaching from the distance you can make out five riders on warhorses. They are moving quickly and these are no farmers. They have with them the banner of Realm. You cannot tell much about them other than that they are armored and approaching swiftly.

Actions?
greyarea

Re: The Town That Was Not There

Postby Fearghus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Einar, Thief

Einar stares at the pit wide-eyed and mouth open. He cannot fathom the loss of the town. "What in all of creation can remove an entire town and the earth under it?", he asks aloud to no one.

When his attention is diverted to the riders he readies his bow. "This looks like a delightful welcoming party", the thief says to his companions. He continues, "If they level lances, or raise arms, I am shooting; otherwise, I say let's talk. They might be as suprised as us at the loss of Wolford ".
Fearghus

Postby Spanningtree » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:36 pm

Dieter - Mage

Gads! Imagine the majicks involved in such a feat! Taking notice of the approaching war horses he will turn to face them. Perhaps they know what happened.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby kjc » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:20 am

Shae - Fighter/Mage

"Yes, let us try talking first." Shae says hopefully.

ooc: It's the BORG! :shock:
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby badams30 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:43 am

Grimes - Halfling

OOC: After the night's sleep, Grimes will politely ask Dandy for some more of the blessings of ol' Benelus. He's still aching somewhat...

IC: Grimes exhales loudly and shakes his head. "Oh that's just great. All my coin... gone. Dammit. That'll teach me to drop it in the bank." Then he catches a glance at the riders, dismounts, and puts his hand on his sword. "If they try anything funny, I'm gonna cut em' down to my size."
badams30

Postby tumblingdice » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:35 am

Castinus walks up to Shae, staring into the void that was the town. "Glad to have you back with us," he murmurs at the most inappropriate time.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby greyarea » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:51 pm

The riders approach. Their steeds shine with sweat as if they've been ridden hard. As they approach you can make them out better.

Two of the riders seem very uncomfortable in their armor. One is actually small and his saddle has been custom made to give the illusion of more height and bearing, but you think he might be one of the little folk: an halfling, gnome or dwarf. His armor sits on him more that is worn by him, a disguise perhaps or some sort of riding-only protection. The other has full plate that wholly envelops its wearer. Through the joints of the armor peek tufts of greyish-white hair.

They are lead by another two, both commanding in their presence. One has a holy symbol on his breastplate, which shines in the noonday sun, but has obviously seen some battle. A mighty two-handed sword is next to him in his saddle, ready to be pulled at any instant. The other has shining silver mail of obviously Elvish make, which makes sense as the wearer is himself an Elf. He holds himself with some noble bearing.

Trailing behind the four is a younger man in black boiled leather. At first you take him to be the squire of the knight, but on closer inspection, he has a look to him that suggests that he is much more knowledgeable than his apparent youth. He wears a disheveled beard as black as his hair, which peeks from behind his armored leather cap, and his eyes dance from person to person, inspecting each of you in turn.

The man wearing the holy symbol, his steed carrying the banner of the realm, holds up his hand and the others stop short, close enough for battle but far enough away for safety's sake. The leader continues on, coming close. He raises his visor and says to you, in a voice that reeks of command and presence, Ho there. We are envoys of the king sent to protect this small berg. Who are you and how did you come here?

Actions?
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:49 am

Dieter - Mage

We are also a group of protectors for this town. During a foray underground this... this (gesturing toward the divot where the town was) came to pass. Turning back: May I ask if you know what has happened here? I fear darkness has found new strength in this place.
Spanningtree

Postby greyarea » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:26 am

The paladin nods his head. Aye, darkness indeed. I don't recall Sir Taris mentioning you, but he had other things occupying his mind last we met. Perhaps you can fill them in, Retied, he says, looking back at the group.

The one who appears to be all armor with tufts of grey-white hair poking from various bits makes to dismount. He struggles and then falls form his mount with a crash. Laughter emanates from his diminutive companion and the elf cracks a smile. What armor doesn't fall off in the impact is shaken off quickly but its occupant. A very old man is revealed as the gauntlets, greaves, plates and other bits fall to the ground. Retied pulls off the final bit, the gorget round this throat, and then grabs a rather large and colorful magician's hat from a saddlebag. He's clad in a yellow robe which is largely hidden by a comically large beard. (Dieter, you know that this is a mage of the Saka Order, who refuse to cut their beards.) He approaches you all, his piercing grey eyes removing any hint of amusement as he looks through his spectacles at you. He gets to the side of the paladin.

He looks at you and says, Darkness ain't the half of it. Sir Taris visited the capital a few weeks ago at the behest of the King. He was given an item of great power. He brought it back here to put in the vault at the bank. The bank here at Wolford is, that is, was, unique. It was felt that this item would remain safe here. The King had been advised that it, that is, the item in question, that it was not safe and to protect it. It and two others. So Sir Taris took it here and we thought it safe, as the bank vault is believed to be impregnable. The fact that the entire town was taken to try to get to it...

Well, a few days ago we heard word that one of the items was taken. A group of us was sent here to see about this one, just as another group was sent to check on the third. I'm guessing that that one isn't safe either...

Anyway, my Order and Vismund's
(he says, pointing at the little person behind) thinks this might be the work of a very powerful wizard and if our suspicions are correct, then darkness falling over the land doesn't begin to cover it.

He furrows his brow at you again. It's very strange that you should arrive just as we do and just after the town was taken. Very strange indeed. Coincidence?

He looks at you expecting some response.

Actions?
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:40 am

Dieter - Mage

Yes, yes... just as much of a coincidence that the lot of you arrived at the same time. Producing his Sir Taris special agent badge. We are agents of Sir Tarus and have group ownership of some land near skull mountain. We were ridding the area of an infestation of Ogre Magi when we returned to this. I recognize your order but I would appreciate seeing documentation that you represent who you say you do.
Spanningtree

Next

Return to Skull Mountain