Places of power [brainstorming]

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Places of power [brainstorming]

Postby Agrippa » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:18 pm

After creating version 1.0 of my BECM sorcerer class I started thinking about what I believe it lacks. See, 9th level and above magic-users can build or simply take over towers and claim them as their own. That's not quite what I'm looking for. It's still an option, but I don't want it to be the only option. I'm talking about somthing more along the lines of Demonreach or even this.

I like to call it a place of power. Basically the sorcerer is magically infusing and mutating the land with his or her own mystical powers or forming an arcane connection with a pre-existing genius loci. This would in turn allow the magician to commune the land, draw power from it and or reshape the area as the sorcerer/sorceress sees fit. This would most likely be done through a Sanctum Invocation-like ability or ritual. So the question is this, does anyone feel interested enough to help out with this?
Last edited by Agrippa on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agrippa

Re: Places of power [brainstorming]

Postby The Lizard of Oz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:00 am

Interesting. So what kind of places of power did ya have in mind? Are you going for something specific (a place where there was a massive battle so it has a connection to the dead, or a place where a demon lord was once summoned and slaughtered the summoners so it has a connection to the abyss/that particular demon lord) or something more generic? Also, how large of a sphere of influence do you see the sorcerer having? Would their senses be heightened in the place of power they control kinda like some dragons are supposed to have about the goings-on in their lairs?

Not to derail but this would make an awesome angle for npc bad guys.
No man is more dangerous than one convinced of his own moral superiority.
The Lizard of Oz

Postby Agrippa » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:56 am

I'll start with senses. The place of power, whether naturally occurring or created through sorcery, can grant its master knowledge of what is in its boundaries so long as the sorcerer concentrates on his or her question. Now this only works for one topic at a time. While generic PoPs are the norm more specific ones also exist. They tend to grant more power or potency to spells of the same nature as the place it’s self.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:25 pm

Places of Power

Genius Loci (Think of Demonreach from the Dresden Files as I've described it.)
Hellmouths (Gateways to one hell or another.)
Shadowlands (Places of the restless and vengeful and predacious dead, favored by the most horrific and foulist of necromancers. Typically formed due to mass death of sapient life forms.)
Haunts (Milder versions of shadowlands which generally pose no risk to the living.)
Elemental Nodes (Wellsprings of elemental power. This can come in the form of the Western Elements of fire, air, earth, water and aether, which is largely shared with the Hindu and Tibetan elements. The Chinese elements of water, fire, earth, wood and metal could also be used. Perhaps even the Japanese elements of air, fire, water, earth and void.)

Perhaps we could come up with even more types Places of Power. Also you're right Lizard of Oz, this would make for an awesome angle evil NPCs.
Agrippa

Return to Open Workshop