Simple LL Races (Not Race-Classes)

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Simple LL Races (Not Race-Classes)

Postby Professor P » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:04 pm

scadgrad wrote:I think we're getting a bit far away from the OP's ideas, but one thing that has always bothered me is this "quest for balance" where none is really needed. There are plenty of other d20-esque games you could marry to LL/AEC if you really must have this "3rd ed All Must Be Balanced" vibe.

On some level, many players want there character to be a human, just because they like the idea of heroic, human characters (Conan, Grey Mouser, etc.) and aren't really concerned about contemporary post 3.0 ideas of racial balance.

Or, simply say that humies are stronger than demi-humans and are the only ones who can have an 18 in STR. Combine that with the aforementioned level limits and unlimited class restriction. Hell's Bells, if this is for Midnight, humies already have a major in game advantage. Most of the other races, barring half orcs which I don't even think are possible, are Kill on Sight to most everything in the setting IIRC. That alone is a pretty major disad.

I agree with your first two 'paragraphs'.

However, the initial posts were considering to separate race and class. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your statement "Combine that with the aforementioned level limits and unlimited class restriction." But if race and class is separated than elves, dwarves, etc. could be any class. In this case, unless your players are really into role playing, there is no reason to play a human because all the other classes would have advantages over humans.

Again, if I misunderstood your post, then you already understand this and I just wasted my time. ;)
Rolling my Percent Chance to Know to parse Dungeons and Dragons.
Professor P

Previous

Return to Labyrinth Lord