Confed Archimedes Class Miniature In Production

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

Confed Archimedes Class Miniature In Production

Postby az_gamer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:08 am

A prototype of a miniature of a Confederation Archimedes Class Scout has just been sent to 3D printers for production. I have prototyped other miniature designs before with 3d Printers and have been impressed with the end products in the past. Its a little more expensive than traditional plastic or lead casting but the overhead in production material cost is less expensive in the long run. The biggest expense of course is shipping which is a huge percentage of the cost. One prototype is costing about $10.oo to produce at this time and at least half of that is shipping. Obviously the more product I order the cheaper the shipping becomes because the overall weight is still very negligible. If the prototype turns out I well I will start taking miniature orders via pay pal for future requests. I am hoing to get the price closer to $8 per unit if cost permits. The units can also be produced in metal but start getting very pricey with starting costs around $30.00 for a 1" by 2" stainless steel model. So Stay tuned... if things go well I may produce some S&S 2E compatible character miniatures too (though I have not yet decided on 25mm or 15mm scale). Production cost may settle that decision when I submit the prototypes. Thanks
az_gamer

Re: Confed Archimedes Class Miniature In Production

Postby az_gamer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:07 am

This weekend the package from the 3D printer containing the Archimedes Class prototype miniature arrived. The accuracy and detail is amazing. It looks fantastic. I will have photos up on my development site www.spaceguardcommand.webs.com very soon. The model was printed in durable white hard polished plastic. The prototype is at 1.87" long and sits perfectly on a flight stand. While I don't have much in the way of comparison the size looks good but I am thinking I may bump it up to a solid 2" when it goes into final production. For a single model, my current production price would be at about $12 each. I would like to get that number closer to $8 but that will require a demand for the product that would allow orders of at least four or more at this time. So if you think you may want one please contact me through my development site or at azmulder@yahoo.com to place an order. At this time I will only be taking orders via email or payment via pay pal. In the future I may allow direct order from the 3d printer's store but if I go that route I won't be able to do anything about trying to reduce the shipping costs.
az_gamer

Re: Confed Archimedes Class Miniature In Production

Postby az_gamer » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:11 pm

Photos are now up on my development site for the prototype Archimedes Class Scout 3d printed plastic miniature model. www.spaceguardcommand.webs.com under the "More" tab select "Projects" to view the pics.
az_gamer

Return to Starships & Spacemen