The Build a Behemoth Workshop.

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

The Build a Behemoth Workshop.

Postby Agrippa » Wed May 18, 2011 7:44 am

While I'm still quietly examining and continuing my older projects, hopefully with some help along the way, I've decided to start yet another project. This time it's explicitly a community project. I present to you The Build a Behemoth Workshop. It's sort of like Build a Bear Workshop but with giant kaiju-style monsters.
-----------
When scholars and naturalists claim that the tarresque is a unique creature, one of its kind, they are partly right. There is only one tarrasque but there are many creatures of around its power and status or even greater through out all Creation. While most often they are not gods their terrible strength may lead many to believe they are. A great multitude of peoples and civilizations have fallen before these beasts. Whether fashioned by man, created by the gods or shaped by beings much older and grander these monstrosities have made their presence known in the cosmos and are all but bound to leave destruction in their wake.
-Professor Elias Zahn, A Treatise on Behemoths

Behemoths

Behemoth is a catch all term for large demi-godlike or godlike beasts. Think on the scale of Godzilla or Shub-Niggurath. Great imposing creatures whose mere presence alters the land they dwell on. Their footfalls rumble the earth and the sheer size of these beasts can blot out the sun. The rules for behemoths are simple, it should be great in scale and or godlike in power, a truly epic foe or ally. Other than that the DM/Labyrinth Lord/Mutant Lord has free reign in designing the behemoth. Behemoths should seldom if ever be random encounters. So if you feel like statting a behemoth of your own feel free to do so in this thread.

Behemoth Creation Rules

• If using Mutant Future rules any behemonth with giantism must triple the mutation's size increase.
  • Behemoths have one augmented mutation per every two mutations.
  • All behemoths have either 8, 10 or 12 hit points per hit die depending on size.
  • If giving the behemoth ability scores roll 6d6, dropping the lowest of course, three times and either roll 3d6 or 4d6, dropping the lowest die another three times. Arrange to taste.
  • If it makes sense for the behemoth to be a spellcaster or have any class abilities of any sort give it appropriate spellcasting or class abilities equal to half, 3/4 or even full casting per level of pseudo-class level the behemoth has. In other words figure out what level the creature would be closest to give it what ever its level in class abilities you deem fit if any.
  • Behemoths with spells or class abilities are treated as having pseudo-class levels equal to hit dice in LL or levelx1.5 in MF.

Fighting a Behemoth

• Attacks against a behemoth's extremities (legs, arms, tentacles, tail, ect.) can at most inflict 60% of the total damage to the creature.
  • Last but not least, as a result of their size behemoths only suffer a fifth normal damage from non-seige weapons unless attacking one of its weak spots.

Behemoth inspiration images
Harbinger of Spring
Cliffrunner Behemoth
Semi Humanoid Behemoth
Hell Behemoth
Pack Behemoth
Magma Behemoth
Troll-like Behemoth
Ultra Peepi
Lion Turtle 1
Lion Turtle 2
Last edited by Agrippa on Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:55 am, edited 8 times in total.
Agrippa

Re: The Build a Behemoth Workshop.

Postby seneschal » Wed May 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Love the images. My favorites are the Harbinger of Spring (a "nice" monster?) and the Cliff Runner (yikes!).
seneschal

Postby Blood axe » Wed May 18, 2011 11:17 pm

Kinda like a fantasy Monster Apocalypse.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Agrippa » Wed May 18, 2011 11:37 pm

Blood axe wrote:Kinda like a fantasy Monster Apocalypse.

You could say that. Both in the conventional sense, as in big scarry goes on a rampage and a lot of people die, or in the classical sense, a great unveiling. By the way I just added two more pictures, this time of the same behemoth.
Agrippa

Postby Blood axe » Thu May 19, 2011 12:08 am

RUN ITS ULTRA PEEPI !!!!

Ah, you're just bragging..... ;)
Blood axe

Postby Agrippa » Thu May 19, 2011 2:03 am

Blood axe wrote:RUN ITS ULTRA PEEPI !!!!

Ah, you're just bragging..... ;)

More, "Ooh, look at that cute little giant hamsterwigling his nose. AAAHHH, HE'S CRUSHING MY LEGS!!" Once you honestly think about Ultra Peepi's origin you'll realize that he's the most screwed up behemoth on this list. Also according to the shows creator there were 70 civilian death in that episode. And it's all Zim's fault.
Agrippa

Postby Blood axe » Thu May 19, 2011 3:06 am

Please...no more talk about your Ultra Peepi... :D
Blood axe

Postby Agrippa » Thu May 19, 2011 3:55 am

Blood axe wrote:Please...no more talk about your Ultra Peepi... :D

It's not my creation, blame Jhonen Vasquez. Seriously Nickelodeon, what do you expect from the creator of a comic name Johnny the Homocidal Maniac? Now the Lion Turtle, he might be interesting to stat up for a campaign. So does anyone feel like statting up any behemoths? LL/BECMI or Mutant Future formats wanted. I'd also like to add a few rules for behemoth creation.
Agrippa

Postby Blood axe » Thu May 19, 2011 4:19 am

Hard to find good fantasy Behemoths. (I looked) Alot of Godzilla, King Kong, Monpoc types though. (modern)
Blood axe

Postby Agrippa » Thu May 19, 2011 5:25 am

Blood axe wrote:Hard to find good fantasy Behemoths. (I looked) Alot of Godzilla, King Kong, Monpoc types though. (modern)

Modern types are good enough though. Besides, who says fantasy and modern monsters can't mix? They'd both add extra flavor to a setting.
Agrippa

Next

Return to Open Workshop