Conjure Elemental, Conjure what else?

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Conjure Elemental, Conjure what else?

Postby crookedrook » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:52 pm

I want to add two new spells to my game. Probably more eventually, but for now I just want to add two.

Conjure Gargoyle and Conjure Shadow.

Now, for the most part, I figure I'm just going to be cribbing from Conjure Elemental, but I'm not sure what level to set these at. I mean, if I was absolutely sure my PCs would never get a hold of them, it wouldn't matter, but in case I am overwhelmed by generosity, I was wondering what folks thought a good method of gauging the level would be. I was thinking of calculating the XP value of the elementals, and adjusting the levels of my new spells based on that. But, Conjure Elemental is fifth available at ninth? I'm not so where Shadow and Gargoyle should fall before that... Certainly no sooner than third, right?

I'm rambling; I guess I'm just wondering who else has created new Conjure [monster] spells based on the Conjure Elemental spell, and wondering about your method and how successful they were.
---
1981 doesn't seem quite so long ago now.
Clicking my Elven Boots together and saying, "There's no place like the Keep, there's no place like the Keep..."
crookedrook

Re: Conjure Elemental, Conjure what else?

Postby Blood axe » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:51 am

Maybe base it on the Monster Summoning spells ?

The Illusionist spell- Summon Shadow is Level-5. But I think its pretty powerful for a Level 5 spell, since it summons several.

Both creatures can only be harmed by magic weapons- thats pretty powerful. The gargoyl has more HD and can fly, but the Shadow can drain STR. and can surprise.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby elf23 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:12 am

Another factor to bear in mind with conjure elemental is that it is quite a risky spell, in that the elemental can turn on the caster. The monster summoning spells, for example, don't have that risk.

I did recently work out a spell that allows a magic-user to summon various "elemental kin" (like salamanders, xorn, efreeti, etc), and I remember using the monsters' XP ratings, rather than their Hit Dice, as the guide to what caster level they should be summonable at. The reason was that a monster's XP value takes into account all of its special abilities, not just its hit point potential / combat level. However, unfortunately, I can't remember what system I used (if any) to correlate the XP values to caster level.
elf23

Postby crookedrook » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:34 pm

elf23 wrote:Another factor to bear in mind with conjure elemental is that it is quite a risky spell, in that the elemental can turn on the caster. The monster summoning spells, for example, don't have that risk.

I did recently work out a spell that allows a magic-user to summon various "elemental kin" (like salamanders, xorn, efreeti, etc), and I remember using the monsters' XP ratings, rather than their Hit Dice, as the guide to what caster level they should be summonable at. The reason was that a monster's XP value takes into account all of its special abilities, not just its hit point potential / combat level. However, unfortunately, I can't remember what system I used (if any) to correlate the XP values to caster level.

Yes. Risk is exactly what I have in mind, and it is enough for me to know that someone used that method and found it satisfactory! Thanks!
---
1981 doesn't seem quite so long ago now.
Clicking my Elven Boots together and saying, "There's no place like the Keep, there's no place like the Keep..."
crookedrook

Return to Open Workshop