Trivia: I was offered the CHILL license last fall...

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Trivia: I was offered the CHILL license last fall...

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:24 pm

...but turned it down.

Discuss!
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Re: Trivia: I was offered the CHILL license last fall...

Postby seneschal » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:13 pm

Too little, too late with Cryptworld in the offing. ;) Still, it would be nice to have all the original Pacesetter titles back in the fold. But with the CW supplements and online material, you and Sniderman aren't letting the horror grass (or whatever that wriggling green stuff is) grow under your feet.
seneschal

Postby Blood axe » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:20 pm

CryptWorld works for me. Just get out a supplement or two. :D

Isn't Chill a kickstarter now?

I'd like to see a GG kickstarter again!
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby sniderman » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:22 am

Would the licensee have allowed the Chill system to be reverted back to the classic Pacesetter Action Table, or would you have had to work with the (at that time) current Mayfair edition of the game?
sniderman

Postby Goblinoid Games » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:28 pm

Blood axe wrote:CryptWorld works for me. Just get out a supplement or two. :D

Workin' on it!

Blood axe wrote:I'd like to see a GG kickstarter again!

Workin' on it! :D
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Blood axe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Awesome. Thank you. :D
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby greyarea » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:38 pm

I think that it would be neat to have Chill (and Space Ace -- are there any other "missing" Pacesetter games?) as part of the fold at this incarnation of Pacesetter but it certainly isn't a requirement. In fact, it might have been a detriment. Sandman and Timemaster, while cool games, have seemed to inspire little new output. Cryptworld, being a new game inspired by the old (no too dissimilar from LL being inspired by BX), seems to have inspired new work. I think that's really cool and I'm not sure that Chill, had it just been resurrected, would have inspired the same. That said, Chill seems to have been the most enduring of the original Pacesetter lineup, so it might have sparked a revival of such.

There is a Kickstarter for a 3rd Edition of Chill which "uses a percentile system, much like previous editions" (emphasis mine), so it could be compatible with earlier editions or it might not be. I imagine that if Chill had been released by this Pacesetter games, it would have reverted back to the original Action Table rules, which would have been attractive to some and repulsive to others (as all rule changes seem to engender).

It would have been really fun to watch the "Pacesetter Action Table is OSR and Mayfair isn't,"; "oh, yes it is,"; "Oh, no it isn't," flamewars, though. :)
greyarea

Postby Goblinoid Games » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:46 pm

sniderman wrote:Would the licensee have allowed the Chill system to be reverted back to the classic Pacesetter Action Table, or would you have had to work with the (at that time) current Mayfair edition of the game?

Reprinting other editions was not on the table at all, and my understanding was that the Mayfair edition would be the base. There were a lot of particulars that were never discussed because I decided early in the conversation that my goals were incompatible with a license for CHILL. There were other topics of concern that I never felt were fully addressed, at least to my satisfaction, but again in fairness they may have been if the conversation had gone further. We communicated over the course of a month before I pulled the plug. I was contacted in early October of last year, a few weeks after the release of CRYPTWORLD. I suspect, though it was not explicitly stated, that if I had accepted a license for CHILL then CRYPTWORLD would have to cease publication. Basically doing a 3rd edition is not consistent with what I'm trying to accomplish with the Pacesetter System and product line. This is probably no surprise to people familiar with my work. Brands are important and have their place, but the game is most important to me. I think the original system is innovative and elegant, if a bit opaque to new comers, though I hope to remedy that in the future by releasing a free intro booklet for the system.

Anyway, a bit of trivia I thought some people might find interesting.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Goblinoid Games » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:52 pm

greyarea wrote:I imagine that if Chill had been released by this Pacesetter games, it would have reverted back to the original Action Table rules, which would have been attractive to some and repulsive to others (as all rule changes seem to engender).

It would have been really fun to watch the "Pacesetter Action Table is OSR and Mayfair isn't,"; "oh, yes it is,"; "Oh, no it isn't," flamewars, though. :)

:lol: Yeah, and there lies part of the problem. Reverting back to the Pacesetter System is not an option, and if there is any truth to the whisperings I've heard there may be ownership/licensing issues in trying to do so. Even before being offered a CHILL license I had decided, all things considered, it was best to strike out new with my own brand and the old system.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby BlUsKrEEm » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:36 am

Chill would have been nice, but being able to go your own way with Cryptworld was clearly the best choice. I imagine the kickstarter would have had to be much larger to cover the licensing fees as well.

Majus is my Pacesetter gamer of choice, but I Cryptworld is a close second.
BlUsKrEEm

Next

Return to Open Discussion