Using S&S for Old School Trek

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

Re: Using S&S for Old School Trek

Postby kjc » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:00 pm

gentleman john wrote:the Romulans were a group who left Vulcan at some time during its long period of warfare. As the proto-Roumlans made their way across the quadrant towards Romulus, they settled a number of colonies along the way. This was due to the fact that they only had primitive warp-powered vessels, and needed an infrastructure of some kind to support their exploration. Contact was lost with a number of these colonies, and certainly as far as Y200 (SFBU timeline) they were still looking for some of them.

Good stuff, thanks gentleman john! This could fit in nicely with my character background. :D

I think Atomic Ray is very "gutsy" to even attempt to run something like TREK with it's decades long train of canon. I would take the easy way out and attempt a pastiche. But anyone can see by all his contributions to these boards/forums that he is a creative and passionate gamer dude!
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:57 pm

There were plenty of communities that were happy to live under the umbrella of the federation without giving up their particular vision; so a wealthy yet remote colony where the core families want their children to take over the family business, not that much of a stretch :)

The issue of canon, in this case I am shooting for that four color, fist in your face, raise the shields! kind of action that reminds one of the classic series.

If there are any issues that rub a player the wrong way or would prefer towards one aspect of canon or another, then I am all for it.

There is so much Trek to work with...a pocket or alternate universe would make sense...but not needed at this point.

I am just filling a niche...you can see I have been throwing out potential beyond fantasy and mutants for the Old School System, trying to show folks that a basic system can be applied to the just about anything.

Honestly I think it is the lack of defined on paper choices that have been scaring away the little fish from the out of the box game potential...without the titles of fighter, thief, cleric, etc. most folks get lost I think...though not completely sure.

The plan for the mission, I am planning for it to fit very nicely as if part of the original series...though not aboard the Enterprise. There were many other ships. Not all of them went out for five years and not all of them went across the galaxy. But this should be fun.

By the show canon there were not many aliens on star fleet ships, but we all know that there were many aliens and some all alien ships, so this sort of acceptance is reasonable in my book...so a federation ship with all four star fleet foundation races present, especially for a mission like this, makes sense to me :)
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Spanningtree » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:04 am

I just picked up the rules today! I'll try to gen a character today or tomorrow at the latest.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby kjc » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:07 am

Atomic Ray wrote:There were plenty of communities that were happy to live under the umbrella of the federation without giving up their particular vision; so a wealthy yet remote colony where the core families want their children to take over the family business, not that much of a stretch :)

Alright, you and gentleman john slapped me down on that one! :) I stand corrected!
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby kjc » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:14 am

Atomic Ray wrote: four color, fist in your face, raise the shields! kind of action that reminds one of the classic series.

You should use that as your tag line/pitch!

As a couple of us here have the rules, are you using the RAW or have you decided on the LL stats? BTW did Dan Proctor give you any indication regarding the time frame for the revised rules?
Last edited by kjc on Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Atomic Ray » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:07 am

kjc wrote:
Atomic Ray wrote: four color, fist in your face, raise the shields! kind of action that reminds one of the classic series.

You should use that as your tag line/pitch!

As a couple of us here have the rules, are you using the RAW or have you decided on the LL stats? BTW did Dan Procter give you any indication regarding the time frame for the revised rules?

I would use the rules, I just dropped $12k for college/books/etc. for one of my kids...you would think another $12 would be in hand, gotta wait a week or so to put it in my account again :)

I am up for using the S&S stats...post them again and we will convert and reroll where needed.

Dan said the game is not ready to be considered for play testing...working out bugs still...no date as of yet.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Spanningtree » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Here is my base done with the 4d6 drop the lowest route. I picked up the S & S rules and found them to be a pretty non-detailed framework as far as character creation goes. Other than a background do I need anything else below?

Ensign Tagurit

Race: Vulcan
Primary Career: Science
Secondary Career: Engineering
Level: 1

Str 15
Dex 12
Con 10
Int 17
Wis 14
Cha 16
Luck 14

Traits:
Emotion Control (self)...a self imposed restriction on public display of excessive emotions, as these are seen as offensive and degrading to the process of being professional and healthy...failure to maintain control will result in self adjustments such as meditation, solitude, and isolation

Telepathic/Mind Meld (touch)...one attempt per day per level, each player rolls a percentile and the vulcan can adjust his/her score by Wis...the difference between the scores is the alignment value...ex: Vulcan L'ar mind melds with Terran Jim...L'ar rolls 34% +/- 14pts (Wis14)...Jim rolls 87%...34+14=48% : 87% = -39% chance to connect/learn information/etc...had it been 48% : 49% then only a -01% (on average it should work well, with a 20-30% of failure due to strain of misalignment)

Nerve Pinch/Death Grip...(requires surprise, calm, or the person be restrained) nerve pinch requires save or be stunned 1D3 rounds...death grip requires save or as if sleep spell (this is considered unsavory and rude, so restraint should be used in public)

Will Not Lie...not to say can not deceive with redirect or word play, but will not directly lie
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby gentleman john » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:17 pm

Atomic Ray wrote:I am just filling a niche...you can see I have been throwing out potential beyond fantasy and mutants for the Old School System, trying to show folks that a basic system can be applied to the just about anything.

Honestly I think it is the lack of defined on paper choices that have been scaring away the little fish from the out of the box game potential...without the titles of fighter, thief, cleric, etc. most folks get lost I think...though not completely sure.

Funnily enough, a lot of folks managed to survive during the d20 OGL phase without those crutches. However, I understand where you are coming from. I have my own theories, and I lay some of the blame at the feet of a certain games company who were notorious for producing splat books. However, that is a matter for another thread, imo.

As for adopting BECMI to other uses, why not? A game system is merely a way of codifying characters to an agreed standard and imposing rules for conduct that everyone can agree on.

The plan for the mission, I am planning for it to fit very nicely as if part of the original series...though not aboard the Enterprise. There were many other ships. Not all of them went out for five years and not all of them went across the galaxy. But this should be fun.

By the show canon there were not many aliens on star fleet ships, but we all know that there were many aliens and some all alien ships, so this sort of acceptance is reasonable in my book...so a federation ship with all four star fleet foundation races present, especially for a mission like this, makes sense to me :)

IIRC, the five-year missions were the exception rather than the rule. A lot of Starfleet vessels had more than enough to do keeping track of what was going on in their area. The phrase "the only ship in the quadrant" is a wonderful phrase for enabling adventures.

As for the lack of aliens, the in-universe excuse was that the varying life support requirements put a lot of strain on the older vessels. It was only when technology became advanced enough to give decentralised life support that more aliens could be supported. Of course, you could also put this down to bigger budgets :) Single species crews did have problems, though. There are a number of occasions reported where such vessels got into trouble they could easily have got out of if they had other species on board.
gentleman john

Postby gentleman john » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Atomic Ray wrote:I would use the rules, I just dropped $12k for college/books/etc. for one of my kids...you would think another $12 would be in hand, gotta wait a week or so to put it in my account again :)

I am up for using the S&S stats...post them again and we will convert and reroll where needed.

Dan said the game is not ready to be considered for play testing...working out bugs still...no date as of yet.

Repost and redo? Here we go again ... I'll need some time to work these things out.
gentleman john

Postby gentleman john » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:23 pm

And done. There may be some problems in incorporating ST races into S&S as there are analogues, but only really for Humans (Terrans) and Vulcans (Taurans). In converting T'Marr, I have assumed Tauran levels for some stats.

Here are the working assumptions ...

Charisma is a straight port.
Psionic Potential is equal to 7 for female Taurans plus a dice. I have assumed that LL bonuses for INT and WIS substitute for the dice roll. For T'Marr, these are a total of 2, giving her 9.
Strength/Hits is an average of STR and CON rounded up. This is equal to 12.
Loyalty for Taurans is 7 plus a dice. I have assumed that LL bonuses for INT and WIS substitute again, giving T'Marr 9.
Marksmanship is asusmed equal to DEX.
Intelligence is assumed equal to INT, as is Technical Skill.
Contact Skill is assumed to be equal to CHA. This makes Ensign T'Marr look like this in S&S:

Name: T'Marr
Race: Vulcan
Rank/Level: Ensign/1
Branch: Technical
Subclass: Engineering

Inborn Abilities
Charisma: 11
Psionic Potential: 9
Strength/Hits: 12
Loyalty: 9

Acquired Abilities
Marksmanship: 13
Intelligence: 17
Technical Skill: 17
Contact Skill: 11

Psionic Powers
Empathy, Telepathy

Personally, I prefer the LL version based on Atomic Ray's data. It may not be "official", but I'm not worried about that. And it should be easy enough to port equipment over from S&S to LL. However, I will go with whatever way people prefer.
gentleman john

PreviousNext

Return to Starships & Spacemen