What do you do if someone punches you into a duck?

For discussion of other games.

What do you do if someone punches you into a duck?

Postby Agrippa » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:13 am

I'd like to talk a bit about Exalted. Exalted, if you're unfamiliar, is an RPG by White Wolf. Yes, its from that White Wolf. Well in Exalted you play the invincible demi-god foot soldiers/prophets/mystic/diplomats/spies/mad scientests of the Incarne (the more powerful gods), the Yozi (mad imprisoned titans), the Autochan (think Optimus Prime as a titan with autisim and OCD), Gaea (Mother Earth obviously) and the Neverborn (the ghosts of dead insane titans). Except you're not really invincible, otherwise it wouldn't be much of a game. Sadly you're no where close. Imagine having god-like sub god-like ability scores and the powers of an 18th to 21st level BECMI character, and only one measly hit die. It requires that the Storyteller (yes, this uses the Storyteller system too, it is a White Wolf game) have a high degree of system mastery to avoid accidentally killing PCs. Even most fans of the game think the mechanics suck. But if you have the right charms and some good rolls you really can punch someone into a duck. So what suggestions would you make to someone who wanted to run Exalted, but without using the borked Storyteller system?
Agrippa

Re: What do you do if someone punches you into a duck?

Postby kaomera » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:02 am

One problem with running 'Zalted with a different system is that a lot of 'Zalted players (in addition to any other reasons they like the game) just love rolling gallons of dice at once... And there really is no better system for that.

Using a super-hero system seems an obvious choice and IMO is a decent fit. I like FASERIP (or a clone thereof) is cool, or maybe Mutants and Masterminds (pick an edition - they're all pretty good). A generic (or even not so generic) system, just "turned up to 11" would also work. I like FATE 3.0 (Dresden Files RPG), and you could even do something like 'Zalted with LL I suppose.

One thing to consider is the whole Angst track thing (didn't they do something stupid like call it "Limit" after claiming FF7 as an inspiration?) But you can get around that by just playing the characters appropriately.
kaomera

Postby Agrippa » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:40 am

kaomera wrote:One problem with running 'Zalted with a different system is that a lot of 'Zalted players (in addition to any other reasons they like the game) just love rolling gallons of dice at once... And there really is no better system for that.

Using a super-hero system seems an obvious choice and IMO is a decent fit. I like FASERIP (or a clone thereof) is cool, or maybe Mutants and Masterminds (pick an edition - they're all pretty good). A generic (or even not so generic) system, just "turned up to 11" would also work. I like FATE 3.0 (Dresden Files RPG), and you could even do something like 'Zalted with LL I suppose.

One thing to consider is the whole Angst track thing (didn't they do something stupid like call it "Limit" after claiming FF7 as an inspiration?) But you can get around that by just playing the characters appropriately.

First the design team only used the word Limit Break for their "go crazy and suffer a complete mental breakdown and or kill people" mechanic. While most Exalted have Limit (not the word I'd choose but that's just me), only Solars and to some extent Lunars (lycanthropic demi-god servants of the moon and partners of the Solars) have Limit Break. The Siderals just get increasingly self-righteous, arrogant and incompetent the more they gather together. At the same time the Infernals get Torment, which they can mititgate or even negate either through acts of abominable cruelty and brutality or giving cheesey Bond villian style monologues, laughing maniacally and acting like a cliched villian, even while rescuing kittens from trees and helping little old ladies cross the street. Both are equally acceptable methods. Guess which one is the most common. Yes, I know that a super-hero game would probably be the best fit for a non-Storyteller system. I wonder how a modified Mutant Future would work though.
Last edited by Agrippa on Fri May 31, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:10 am

Right now I've decided to try to cram certain features from Exalted into Mutant Future. In fact quite a few mutations could easily be reflavored into Charms and grafts. I also forgot, everyone in Exalted, who's an actual Exalted has a Limit track, except that it helps the Alchemicals. It's what makes the scary and high powered ninjas of fate act like self-righteous and incompetant morons.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Fri May 31, 2013 11:13 pm

I know this is a little over two years since I last posted in this thread but have both a request for help and some news. First I'd like help translating the function and feel of some of Exalted's charms into old school style rules. I'd like at least some of them to be modeled around Mutant Future's mutations, if that's possible. The thread can be found here. Two, White Wolf came out with a new edition of Exalted and these are the iconic/highlight characters.

Volfer, Dawn Caste
Perfect Soul, Zenith Caste
Iselsi? Shen, Twilight Caste
Novia Claro, Night Caste
Prince Diamond, Eclipse Caste
Agrippa

Return to Other Games