A Review of the Lucanii Drift

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

A Review of the Lucanii Drift

Postby Jay_NOLA » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:10 pm

The Lucanni Drift is a Starships & spacemen campign book, by Paul Kidd. Publisged by Kitsune press.

It is available at DTRPG/RPGNOW.

This is a excellent campaign sourcebook for 2nd edition Starships and Spacemen.

It is available in both PDF & print forms. The players maps in it are also available as separate free PDF product, so I recommend you grab both.

I'm reviewing my PDF copy.

The PDF is 186 pages, including, cover.

First this PDF has some fantastic art.

One minor disappointment is that some of the art did have a color version, but the interior art is all black & white. (The shuttle craft art on the dedication page for example was originally in color.) I wouldn’t mind seeing an additional PDF download of the book with the art that was made in color in the PDF in color.

The book starts off with a brief intro to the campaign and then moves on to some very usefull stuff.
Next up are 3 new Confederacy player races.

The Felicians are a cat like races and were heavily inspired from Ciaitians from Star Trek, that is in several of the animated series episodes and also seen in latter Trek films.

The Entirrans are based on Star Trek Andorians. A new psi power is found in a side bar in the decription of this race

The Pleiadiansns are based on Star Trek Orions. Some GMs who have using the Grillii from White Dwarf 11, who as the main merchant race may not want to use them or have them as a 2nd major merchant power.

New Rules are next.

These are well thought out and ad a lot to make the game more Star Trekish.

The Alternate Starship Combat System. Makes combat a little more like the old FASA Star Trek RPG and each major ship officer now has a part to pay in combat.

Some rules to do bar room brawls are given to conclude this section. I was thinking of the original Star Trek episode “Trouble With Tribbles”,and the bar fight scene from it, when reading this part.

Some new equipment is next. All useful and good stuff.

The Lucanii Drift is described next and is full of lots of adventure potential.

Some highlights of this section are:
The Confederacy Starbase Keppler has a mix of Deep Space 9, Babylon 5, Stargate: Atlantis feel to it and you can just run station based games with the info given. Major NPCs, adventure ideas, etc. are given,

Details on the Zangrid presence and major Zangrid NPCs.

The Caelieran a new alien race that is native to the Drift. They are detail , along with their ships, etc.

The planetary & space exploration, and details on major worlds, maps, are given. Detailed adventure seeds are found in this part.

The book concludes with details on the CFS Kellerman and optional rules to have the characters ship get upgraded, via equipment and/or better crew performance when characters go up in level instead of assigning them to a larger ship.

Some pages have blank character space so the GM can work up the crew details for the ship and write them in. A sample NPC first officer is given, that can be used as PC.

A lot of the information in this book can be easily used in other S&S campaigns.

I highly recommend this book

5 stars out of max of 5.
Jay_NOLA

Re: A Review of the Lucanii Drift

Postby Craigers07 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:10 am

It's nice to see a campaign for S&S. It looks like there is a lot of good material.

Below is the link to it on rpgnow.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/201735/The-Lucanii-Drift
Craigers07

Postby az_gamer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:17 am

I got my copy and have the highest praises for this product. this is really cool, an absolute must have. I also really the kellermann ship and the idea of upgrades.
az_gamer

Postby Omote » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Thank you for the review. I was certainly considering this, and reading this breakdown makes me want to buy in!

~O
Omote

Postby az_gamer » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:34 am

Don't hesitate this supplement is soooo worth it!
az_gamer

Postby Hagakuri » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:31 pm

I just bought this and I am very happy that I did so.
Hagakuri

Return to Starships & Spacemen