Wights are broken.

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Wights are broken.

Postby connivingsumo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Indeed, I forgot about the vamps and I stand (well, sit) corrected.

Thanks petespahn & black wyvern, I like the explanation about the magical energy - negative energy - that makes sense.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby Black Wyvern » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks to you C-Sumo, this discussion on energy draining is full of good advice and incites. It is always good to read how others handle aspects of the game.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Blood axe » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Well then lets explore some alternate energy drain systems. Any ideas??

A permanent -1 to all actions until recovered? (saves, AC, hit & damage,etc.) Even targets of your spels get a +1 save. Everything! Your strength, vitality & very life energy is sapped. If you are drained twice- a -2 to everything you do will hurt bad.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby bighara » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:02 pm

There's the Shadow's STR drain. Draining STR or CON (or any score, really) with 0 = dead.
bighara

Postby connivingsumo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Blood axe wrote:Well then lets explore some alternate energy drain systems. Any ideas??

A permanent -1 to all actions until recovered? (saves, AC, hit & damage,etc.) Even targets of your spels get a +1 save. Everything! Your strength, vitality & very life energy is sapped. If you are drained twice- a -2 to everything you do will hurt bad.

Hmmm... that's a very interesting idea - I think I like it.

Blood Axe, what are your thoughts on how long it would take to recover, or what that process may look like?

Some immediate thoughts are:
-The more drained (say a character is hit 3 times, so at -3) the longer/more difficult the process?
A successful 'remove curse' spell, at -3!, perhaps? IF successful, then next remove curse spell comes at -2, etc. until the effect is completely removed.
-A quest to remove the effect.
-It might be interesting to have the character that was drained temporarily turn into a wight (or other undead/ghost/incorporeal) at midnight the same day and stay 'undead' x# days corresponding to x# drainings.

I think I'll also mention that my original beef w/wights may stem from having too few players to always have a cleric. Only a handful times in in my 26 years of playing have I ever had a solid, consistent group to cover the bases/needs; that's why I was so glad to find this forum.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby Dyson Logos » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:36 am

Blood axe wrote:Well then lets explore some alternate energy drain systems. Any ideas??

That's pretty much how everyone I know in d20 games handles energy drain.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby connivingsumo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:40 am

Dyson Logos wrote:

That's pretty much how everyone I know in d20 games handles energy drain.

That's interesting; I wish I had thought of that!

connivingsumo

Previous

Return to Labyrinth Lord