Human opponents

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Human opponents

Postby goaldilmun » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:17 pm

New to the game. Wondering how XP and THC is to be calculated when creating levelled human opponents? There seem to be no actual rules for this in the rulebooks.
goaldilmun

Re: Human opponents

Postby gentleman john » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:11 pm

Just use the Monster Experience Points Table on page 49. For every extra ability that the opponent has compared to a Fighter, add the bonus XP. Thus, a 4th level fighter (4d8 HP = 4 HD) would have 80 XP, a 4th level Cleric (4d6 HP = 3 HD, turn undead, cast Cleric spells) would have 80 XP (50 + 15 + 15), while a 4th level Magic User (4d4 HP = 2 HD, cast Magic User spells) would have 29 XP (20 + 9). Or you could just say that 1 level = 1 HD, regardless.

If you want to calculate the to-hit number, then either use the Character Attack Table or the Monster Attack Table on page 60. It doesn't matter which one you use, although if you are using level/class as your basis, you may prefer the Character Attack Table.

In the end, it doesn't matter so long as you are consistent with your group. It's not like the Game Police are going to turn up and demand stop having fun.
gentleman john

Postby greyarea » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:27 pm

A a member of the Game Police, I concur: we have bigger donuts to fry.

mmmm... donuts...
greyarea

Postby Blood axe » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:59 pm

gentleman john wrote:Just use the Monster Experience Points Table on page 49. For every extra ability that the opponent has compared to a Fighter, add the bonus XP. Thus, a 4th level fighter (4d8 HP = 4 HD) would have 80 XP, a 4th level Cleric (4d6 HP = 3 HD, turn undead, cast Cleric spells) would have 80 XP (50 + 15 + 15), while a 4th level Magic User (4d4 HP = 2 HD, cast Magic User spells) would have 29 XP (20 + 9). Or you could just say that 1 level = 1 HD, regardless.

If you want to calculate the to-hit number, then either use the Character Attack Table or the Monster Attack Table on page 60. It doesn't matter which one you use, although if you are using level/class as your basis, you may prefer the Character Attack Table.

In the end, it doesn't matter so long as you are consistent with your group. It's not like the Game Police are going to turn up and demand stop having fun.

I would do the same...kind of. I would not worry about what HD were used in the case of a Magic-user, Cleric, etc.
In my game a 4th level Mage would be 4HD (80xp) + Bonus (55xp) for spells, 135xp total, not 29xp. That level 4 Mage is throwing out 2 level 1 spells & 2 level 2 spells. Sleep , Charm, Web, Continual Light (blindness) are potent attacks.

Just shows you different ways of doing things. None really " wrong" if you are having fun with it.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby greyarea » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:11 pm

I'd do it like Blood Axe.

Levels == Hit Dice (for both attack tables and XP)
Spells or special abilities == Bonus

Both John the Gentleman and Blood Axe are correct in saying that nothing is wrong as long as you're having fun and being consistent.
greyarea

Postby petespahn » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:12 am

goaldilmun wrote:New to the game. Wondering how XP and THC is to be calculated when creating levelled human opponents? There seem to be no actual rules for this in the rulebooks.

I've got a system I use that seems to work well for me. Since XP is based on the difficulty of defeating monsters, I use the base XP for HD/level and look at physical ability scores, special abilities, and powers that mainly affect combat.

So, if I have a 2nd level thief,I start with a 20 xp base. I then add 9 for backstab, 9 for hide in shadows, and 9 for move silently for 47 XP. If the thief has a +1 dagger I give an additional 9. A potion of healing another 9. If the thief has Str or Con or Dex 13-18 I give an additional 9 for each exceptional ability score.

With a magic-user or cleric, I again look at spells that have the potential to affect combat.

A 5th level magic-user with Con 15, spells of 1st read magic, magic missile, sleep 2nd invisibilty, wizard lock 3rd feign death - he would get 200 base, 150 for the magic missile, sleep, and invisibility and 150 for high Con for a total of 800.

It's not an exact science, but it seems to work well for what I need.
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby Dyson Logos » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:57 am

I mostly concur with Pete's system except the magic item boost.

Magic Items will almost certainly be looted by the PCs, thus they shouldn't also get XP for them.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby goaldilmun » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the quick replies.

I missed that table on p.49 cause my LL is still in a binder, and that page got squeezed in between the monster sections of LL and the AEC. But now I got some different methods to try out. I'll play around with it a little bit and see what I like.

Thanks again!.

GD
goaldilmun

Postby goaldilmun » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:11 pm

On second thought... I was also wondering about Hoard Classes. How to determine what Hoard Class is reasonable for human opponents?
goaldilmun

Postby greyarea » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:56 pm

I'd probably just use "Men" in the monster section of the book (page 86) as the basis, which has a hoard class of I (XXI) or XXII depending on type.

it really comes down to what kinds of opponents you want these to be.
greyarea

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord