Interlude in Red Larch

badams30's Labyrinth Lord p=b-p game.

Moderator: badams30

Interlude in Red Larch

Postby badams30 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:07 am

Your party sets off early, making good time toward Red Larch. The ride is largely uneventful, and the only others you see on the tradeway are a large bunch of farm wagons (10 total) that Braun says are heading toward the Goldenfields to bring foodstuffs back to Red Larch. The wagon drivers wave at Braun and he exchanges pleasantries with them as they continue on. You have a cold lunch on the road, stopping only long enough to relieve yourselves and to distribute some bread, dried meat, and some wine that Braun had left. At roughly 3 in the afternoon, Braun says "Almost there..." and as you crest a small hill, you see the village of Red Larch ahead. Red Larch is exactly how you would picture it - a farm town on the edge of the Savage Northlands, small, but hardscrabble.

As you approach the town, you see that there are probably a couple of hundred buildings, most nondescript and only a handful that would stick out. Braun says that the village is home to roughly 600 individuals, with another 200 or so living within a days ride (mostly farmers or trappers)
As you approach the city limits, there is a small stone blockhouse at the edge of the town and the road. It is a simple 3 story structure with battlements at the top, and a large flag fluttering in the breeze. It is the flag of Waterdeep. From behind the tower appears two Waterdhavian guards who smile at the sight of Braun. He stops long enough to give a friendly greeting, and then he's off again. The guards wave to you all, and appear to be pretty lax in their duties...

As you wind through the streets, Melvin's goats start bleating loudly, and many citizens poke their heads out of doors to welcome Braun and his gang home. They seem like local celebrities. Braun points to a large stone builing that is coming up on the right. It is out of place looking in this small town, but with the flag of Waterdeep and the two Waterdhavian guards out front, it's a foregone conclusion that this is the main building in town for guards, officials and Waterdeep liason. Braun stops his wagon and says "This is the Red Larch Town Consul building. From your conversations, I presume you have business within?

As you all dismount, Braun smiles broadly and says "It's been a pleasure travelling with you. Good luck. And remember what I said. If you are staying here for more than a couple of days, buy some warm gear... you won't regret it. With that, he's off, Melvin following close behind, his annoying goats like a siren of annoyance... Melvin waves and says "See you all soon!"

You are in front of the building presumably holding Seedius, whom you need to see. Grinkle is in the cart, looking nervously at the guards, who eye you all with curious glances.

Your next move?
badams30

Re: Interlude in Red Larch

Postby greyarea » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:43 am

Marcus, paladin

Marcus hails the guards. My companions and I seek Seedius. He should be here, should he not?
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:12 am

greyarea wrote:Marcus, paladin

Marcus hails the guards. My companions and I seek Seedius. He should be here, should he not?

The guards nod and one says "Yes, Sir. He is inside. Shall we tell him who is calling?
I assume you identify yourselves, and the guard says "Just a minute, please." and disappears inside the building. He emerges about a minute later and says "Come in, he'll see you now."

Grinkle and Dak choose to remain outside and keep an eye on the cart, and the rest of you proceed inside. (If anyone wants to remain outside, just let me know and I'll amend.) You are led into a normal, utilitarian building with offices, and at the end of long corridor, you are seated in a sterile 10x20 room with a dozen chairs and a long table. A small table in the corner has some writing instruments on it, and some sealing wax. Just as you sit, the man you recognize as Seedius enters.

"Welcome back. I'm glad to see you are all well. Am I to presume that you have completed the task of clearing the keep? If you'd be so kind as to share the details with me, we can move along."
He sits and leans forward slightly, seemingly interested to hear your tale.
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:52 am

Nahin - Elf

Before the wizard and halflings disappear Nahin will ask them where they will be, he would like Braun to identify the booty.

To Seedius: Yes sir, we have cleared the keep of a tribe of goblins. We were able to find a secret passage into the keep and take them by surprise. I think there were something around 20 of them. Here is their flag, (Handing over the standard) I would tend to believe this is an isolated incursion and we should not see the likes of them again.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:21 pm

Nahin: Braun says that he and his men have a small shack on the opposite end of town (he says to look for the old cistern) He says you can tell when they are in if the wagons are under the shelters. He wishes you well. He also tells you that Melvin has a small shop in the marketplace (he points in the general direction of the northeast (the town is so small that you can see an opening where it is obviously a market area - much smaller than even Daggerford, but a market. He tells you that Melvin's shop is painted like his wagon... "You can't miss it. I assure you." He says with a chuckle.

As you tell Seedius of your experiences in the keep, he nods, occasionally taking notes - usually when you mention the hobgoblins or their tactics and numbers. He opens the banner and smirks when he sees it. "The Lostafingas. We usually don't see much of them, they stay to the East of us. And it sounds like you may have helped keep them in that direction. Nice work, and I'm glad to hear that none of you were lost. These hobgoblins are very tough, and generally very organized. It sounds like your covert entry may have won the day.

He pulls out a scroll tube and unrolls a very official looking piece of paper. "Well then, on with the formalities! This is the deed to your keep." He goes on to point out where you (Nahin) need to sign, initial, etc. Once you've completed that, he pulls out a blue candle and a seal press and makes the deed official. Rolling it, and putting it back in the leather scroll tube he hands it to Nahin, smiling." Congratulations - Nahin, Squire of South Kryptgarden. Oh, yes, you get a title with this too... heh heh... it's not just a chunk of land." . You've just inherited a fine piece of real estate. You know, Waterdeep only awards a handful of deeds such as this, so what you have here is certainly valuable." Seedius stands up from his seat and says "I am issuing a stay on taxes for this property for this year, as your Uncle didn't pay his. For your service, we'll waive his fees. You will be responsible for the taxes on this property going forward." He shrugs and says "I know, it's unpleasant, but it is my job. Oh, that reminds me, there is someone here to see you all." His smile fades somewhat and he says in a hushed tone "Durden is an attache to the Lords, just so you know." His smile returns and he says "I'll retrieve him, one moment." And he disappears out the door.

About 5 minutes later with a tall man in a fine black robe with silver embroidery around the edges enters the room alone. He carries an ornately carved staff that glows with a neon blue glow, and he leans on it heavily when he walks - doing so with a pronounced limp. He is tall, but he is hunched over to such an extent it looks painful. The hood of his robe obscures his features, but he nods to each of you, and says in a quiet, raspy voice, "Please, sit down. I have a couple of propositions for you." He extends his hand toward your seats, and you notice that it is heavily scarred from horrible burns. As you sit, he sits at the head of the table, and sighs as he sits. He mumbles some words, and in a flash of blue light, his staff changes into a wand, which he holds in his hand like a pointer. He says in his quiet raspy voice, with a hint of humor "I suppose Seedius has told you all about me." He chuckles and says "I speak not of my commission, but allow you to draw your own conclusions. However, I do represent the best interests of the City of Splendors... and some of the important citizenry of the city. But enough of that." He taps his wand on the table and says "Congratulations on your keep, and the clearing of it's occupiers. I know of your commitment to the Duke of Daggerford, and that you are all novice adventurers. I was once an adventurer as well, so I understand your situation. Do you intend to use the keep regularly? How will you provide for it's defense?" He doesn''t say these things in a confrontational way, but simply as questions.
He pauses, his hooded face slightly turning, as if regarding each of you, waiting for answers.
badams30

Postby kjc » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Jayce - Fighter
"Durden...here?" Jayce whispered, clearly surprised...and awestruck.
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Spanningtree » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:25 pm

Nahin - Elf

When Seedius mentions squire Nahin's eyes glaze over (roll the opening music to the Jeffersons).Taking the tube he'll put it in his pack. Huh, squire... heh. he says.

Listening to Durden with great interest: Ai, we have but just begun. The keep was a windfall that none of us saw coming but did bring us even closer together. I don't think we would use the keep to regularly, I have hopes that the local lord might use it as an advance base. If the goblins came one they might be back. Soon. Otherwise I don't know. Let me tell you though, there is a magic mirror there that seems to grab men by their soul. We had to leave it. Would you know anything about it? What are you thoughts concerning the keep?

OCC: Is there a bank or some kind of safety deposit box in town?
Spanningtree

Postby greyarea » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:08 am

Marcus, paladin

Could it be of use to us as a base of operations? I think that it could be useful to us as such. he suggests to Nahin.
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:01 am

Nahin - Elf

Of course, Marcus, it would be great to stay in the area!
Spanningtree

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:52 pm

Han Overfist, augur of Tymora

"Agreed...perhaps I may be allowed to build a shrine to Tymora for travelers to commune with the Lady?"
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Next

Return to Forgotten Realms: Northlands of Adventure