The Northwest Barony - LL pbp game looking for players

Post your online or in person gamer meetups here! Post here if seeking to start a game.

Re: The Northwest Barony - LL pbp game looking for players

Postby sonofotho » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:31 pm

Adapt wrote:
tumblingdice wrote:Just e-mail Dan, Adapt. He'll set you up.

Message sent. As soon as the forums are up I'll get the necessary threads in order.

Any word from Dan on when the forum will be up?
Running the Stonehell LL sandbox game
Ran the Yendo LL AEC sandbox game (on hiatus....for now)
sonofotho

Postby Adapt » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:34 pm

sonofotho wrote:Any word from Dan on when the forum will be up?

Not yet, but I know he's a busy guy.
Running: Arizona Territory 1873 (FATE Old West pbp), The Northwest Barony (Labyrinth Lord pbp)
Playing: Night's Dark Terror (Labyrinth Lord pbp)

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Postby Adapt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:09 pm

I was going to wait to post more information until we had our forums set up, but while we're waiting I'm going to go ahead and post some stuff here.

The campaign will begin in Kelgar's Holdfast, the only human settlement within the barony. You will have been there for perhaps a week or two when the game begins - long enough to know your way around the holdfast, know who some of the important NPCs are, and to have met each other, if you didn't already know each other when you arrived.

As I have mentioned, this will be a sandbox with several different opportunities presented to you. I would like to set up this premise by having you all be a part of a "free scouting company", consisting solely of yourselves and whoever else you choose to include or employ (retainers, hirelings, meat shields, etc.). Essentially, you will be licensed agents of the barony, employed in much the same manner as private contractors. While the baron will request that you investigate something specific form time to time, you are not obligated to do so. There will be other scouting companies operating out of the holdfast, so chances are that someone will take the job. The baron will imposes the standard taxes on money and goods recovered, and all lands, natural resources, and structures you discover will be claimed in the name of The Empire. Exploring on your own is always an option, as anyone bringing back verifiable news of important discoveries (dangers, resources, sites of interest, etc.) will be duly rewarded.

This brings up something else I wanted to discuss: how you all know each other.

Kipper's fighter is an ex-soldier and (probably)reformed bandit from the northern province of Orweald. He must have traveled around quite a bit, so maybe sonofotho's thief knows him from this time?

badams30 PMed me with some questions about his background, so he is cooking something up for his magic-user. If he knew either the thief or the fighter beforehand, that would help tie things in. However, I have a reason for why he is part of the group ready to go if we need to use it.

Erny's dwarf is easy to figure out. Dwarves know the land and the history. Having a dwarf along would be a blessing to a free scouting company. There's no way the rest of you could have met him before you arrived, but you might have searched around for a dwarf interested in joining up, met him, and got to know him a bit.

How does this sound to you guys? I thought having some kind of official sanction to explore and adventure would be a good way to prevent you all form having to dela with the "Hey, why don't I have any civil rights?" aspects of feudal society. ;) If you guys want to do things differently, I am always open to other suggestions. I'm not dead set on this idea or anything, I just thought it might be a fun way to structure things.
Last edited by Adapt on Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Running: Arizona Territory 1873 (FATE Old West pbp), The Northwest Barony (Labyrinth Lord pbp)

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Postby Erny » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:52 pm

That sounds spot on Adapt and not totally without historical precident even for a feudal society. After seeing Kippers welsh named Frank I was wondering what culture or mismash of cultures you imagined the dwarves to be yourself. I was figureing on going Saxon but could easily be diverted to any other northern barbarian ;) .
Erny

Postby Adapt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:32 pm

Erny wrote:I was wondering what culture or mismash of cultures you imagined the dwarves to be yourself. I was figureing on going Saxon but could easily be diverted to any other northern barbarian ;) .

Actually, Erny, I have only defined the dwarven culture in broad strokes. I have some info posted here and hope to get more posted later tonight. If you think in terms of "a more isolated version of standard D&D dwarves meet Saxon/Danish culture" then you are probably on the right track and we should be able to work whatever you come up with in the meantime into the setting. I'll pop you a PM when I get some more info posted on them.

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Postby Adapt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:37 pm

Erny wrote:That sounds spot on Adapt and not totally without historical precident even for a feudal society.

Thanks! I was trying to come up with a justification for "adventuring parties" by using a mish-mash of the way explorers operated in the age of discovery and the way mercenaries operated in the middle ages. I also wanted you guys to be able to have some "rank" without having all the hassles and obligations that would normally come with it. Glad to hear I mostly hit the mark. As I mentioned in a PM to badams30 earlier today, it's been a long time since I ran a home brewed fantasy campaign. I usually run either post-apocalyptic or historical campaigns, and It seems that influences from both of those styles have crept into this campaign. ;)

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Postby badams30 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:09 am

Great starting ideas. I'm fine with knowing the thief, fighter or both. Whatever lends itself best to a smooth start.
badams30

Postby Adapt » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:38 pm

Our forums are up! viewforum.php?f=49 I've got a character thread set up with a character sheet template. I'll get the rest of the threads set up and finish up a little bit of background info. I should be ready to start by Friday.

I'm still looking for one or two more players. We have four right now, which I can work with, but a couple more would be nice. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Postby connivingsumo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:43 am

Hi Adapt.

I posted in your OOC thread in your game area. I'm curious if you're still looking for a player and what class you and/or the group might want. I'm pretty open to playing a range of different classes. I've read your wikipages pretty thoroughly. I admire the time and care you've put into your campaign world.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby Adapt » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:32 am

Thanks, sumo! We'd be glad to have you on board! I just saw your post in the OOC thread. To confirm, we don't have a cleric as of yet.

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

PreviousNext

Return to Gamer Gatherings