New Project Idea - Basic LL

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: New Project Idea - Basic LL

Postby Leaf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:19 am

In the same vein, it might be extremely useful to have an ultra-cheap-to-produce 64-page saddle-stitched Moldvay-esque intro book to give out for free at cons to generate interest. They'd be more likely to read it and get pumped than if they were just given a business card with a website address on it that they immediately lost.
Leaf

Postby jcftao » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:23 am

9th level would allow players to reach name level (build strongholds).
It looks like the spell list could be streamlined by 60 spells. But I'm thinking if I had this product
and could go up to 9th level, by then I'd want lots of monsters and more than the limited magic items that would come with it. Streamlining the monsters and magic lists is a great idea but 9th level is a long way to stretch that.
Would this product be geared for existing or new players? Does that change how it is written?

I agree that adding another sound to the mix might cause signal loss. But, like Dave is saying, keep it as is, it would be valuable. Would making a box set seem too much like jumping on the band wagon?

Having an introductory product to make easily and cheaply available to the masses is another way of showing that the LL folks are strong in supporting the game.
jcftao

Postby Wizardawn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:59 am

I made the Star Wars - Galactic Adventures role-playing game because we wanted to play a rules light Star Wars RPG. I released it for others that may want a copy of the rules I developed. What I am getting at is if you want a stripped down LL, then make it for yourself. Release the rules when you are done...if you want. If you are only going to do it if a bunch of people tell you to, then you are just following the trend of "hobbyists becoming corporations" where they stop making games because they love them and do it for other reasons.

- Djeryv
Wizardawn

Postby Wulfgar22 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Rather than a box set which could likely be pricey how about an 'LL Player's Handbook' (the first 58 pages)? It could be made available as POD and is something that could (if cheap enough) be handed out to players at games at Cons/Gaming Shops by the LLs.
Wulfgar22

Postby jcftao » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:27 pm

Djeryv wrote--if you want a stripped down LL, then make it for yourself

I think many here would like to have an Open Office or Word doc to do that.

Djeryv wrote--If you are only going to do it if a bunch of people tell you to, then you are just following the trend of "hobbyists becoming corporations" where they stop making games because they love them and do it for other reasons.

I think the intention is to get an excellent ruleset out to the masses in an easily digestible format. No harm in that...especially if it is to offer alternatives to what the "Corporate Hobbyists" have to offer... :)
jcftao

Postby Wizardawn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:40 pm

Well, I wouldn't put Dan in the "corporate hobbyist" category. Now if he release (for sale only)...

Labyrinth Lord 2nd Edition
Labyrinth Lord Monster Manual
Labyrinth Lord - Complete Book of Fighters
Labyrinth Lord - Dug Up Arcana
Labyrinth Lord - Players Handbook 2
Labyrinth Lord - Complete Book of Helmets
Labyrinth Lord 2.5 Edition
Labyrinth Lord 2.875 Edition
Labyrinth Lord - Players Handbook 3

...then I would. Back to your comments...my point is the same...if "you" want these types of rules, then go for it. Others will appreciate the effort. I think the results of these works turn out better when they are done as a labor of love. I think that is why most like 1st Edition/Basic D&D more than new versions.

- Djeryv
Wizardawn

Postby jcftao » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:08 pm

I agree...but you forgot the Labyrinth Lord Pi Edition. That brings us 'full circle' back to where we began. ;)
jcftao

Postby Skathros » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:55 am

I'm not really sure how much space you're going to save by paring levels down to 9th. Sure, you'll cut some pages from Spells, but that's about it. I like the "Player's Book" option. A slim, player geared book would definitely be of use, more so than trimming down of an already darn lite set of rules.
WIZARDS' LORE: A Wizards' World fan site & home to Dungeon Delving Games.
OSRWTF: A more critical look at the movement from a disenchanted fan.
Skathros

Postby John Adams » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:50 am

I spent the whole of 2010 focused upon WB and I'd like to get back actively supporting LL in 2011.

Dan and I have always been good publishing pals and we check in with each other a few times a year as well. We spoke by phone again this morning.

While Dan and I would like to work together on a project (and we may just do that in 2012), we are not at a place where we can do it right now. And like Dan pointed out in this thread, we do not want to splinter the LL brand into different versions (that's why LL has an OEC and AEC for the same core rules).

However, there is nothing stopping BHP from doing something like austrodavicus's suggests that is completely compatible with LL, even if not under the LL brand name. And that would be perfectly natural for BHP since that is how we have always supported LL anyway with our Delving Deeper series and our Classic Labyrinth Adventures.

:)
John Adams

Postby Blood axe » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:30 am

If you get a copy of the old Red book D&D (up to mighty level 3 !!) you could makea similar LL book for beginners.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Previous

Return to Labyrinth Lord