I map, you stock!

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

I map, you stock!

Postby Dyson Logos » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:20 pm

As you might know, I have a penchant for drawing maps. Lately I've been posting my mini-mega-dungeon, Dyson's Delve (which finishes off in two weeks with the release of level 11 just in time for New Year's Eve).

But I've posted a lot of dungeon maps to the blog over the last two years.

If you want to stock one, I'll gladly link to your blog where you post it, and/or convert the finished product into a PDF for people to download from my blog or yours.

So head on over to my maps page, and see if any of them scratches your fancy - they come in all sizes from caves with a few rooms to the insanity of the Mapper's Challenge (you KNOW you want to stock the Challenge, I know you do)
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Re: I map, you stock!

Postby elf23 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:15 am

Hey Dyson, I just checked out your "mapper's challenge" - it's really something! I was so inspired by it that I couldn't help knocking up a keyed version in Inkscape. It has 231 rooms / areas by my count, by the way :)

I'll see if my LL game kicks off, and if so I might devote some time to gradually stocking your map!

Let me know if you'd like a copy of the keyed version (you may have one already, I don't know)...
elf23

Postby Dyson Logos » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:35 pm

I've actually keyed it two ways in various attempts to use it. One was colour coded by section instead of keyed room-by-room.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
Dyson Logos

Postby elf23 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:25 pm

Yeah I thought you'd probably already have a keyed version :)

I'll let you know if I get around to using it though!
elf23

Postby Dyson Logos » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:20 am

My own keyed versions are on printouts, if you have an electronic version, I'd be glad to post it.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
Dyson Logos

Postby Skathros » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:12 pm

Dyson, has anyone ever told you your maps rock? Well, they do! Awesome!
WIZARDS' LORE: A Wizards' World fan site & home to Dungeon Delving Games.
OSRWTF: A more critical look at the movement from a disenchanted fan.
Skathros

Postby Denim N Leather » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:39 pm

Your maps are exquisite. Although I went to the exhibit, my memory is failing me just now; did any of your maps make it into the Terra Incognita cartography exhibit in NYC? I seem to recall seeing a couple of your pieces there ...
Denim N Leather

Postby Dyson Logos » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:54 pm

Denim N Leather wrote:Your maps are exquisite. Although I went to the exhibit, my memory is failing me just now; did any of your maps make it into the Terra Incognita cartography exhibit in NYC? I seem to recall seeing a couple of your pieces there ...

Nope. I only heard about said exhibit after the fact actually.

Not like I would have gone though, I'm boycotting the US border now.

- - -

And thanks for the props, guys!
Dyson's Dodecahedron
Dyson Logos

Postby elf23 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:14 pm

Dyson Logos wrote:My own keyed versions are on printouts, if you have an electronic version, I'd be glad to post it.

Yeah cool! The version I've got at the moment is in SVG format (I did it in Inkscape, but I think Illustrator etc should be able to load it too). It's in three layers: 1. your map, 2. the room numbers, 3. a grid. So each layer can be toggled individually.

I don't know what'd be most useful for others... The SVG version, or simply a bitmap version with the numbers on it? The only trouble with the latter would be that the numbers are a pretty small font, so it'd need to be quite a high-res image for them to be legible.

(Maybe if you PM me your email address I can send it to you...)
elf23

Postby Wizardawn » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:46 pm

Now that I use these geomorphs (mixed with Risus Monkey's) we use only white paper while mapping during gameplay. We don't feel the need to conform to a piece of grid paper anymore. I assembled your geomorphs on my website. It uses a tiny bit of PHP code to randomize the images. I even have your geomorphs in rotated 90, 180 and 270 degrees. This (along with Risus Monkey's) gives me tons of randomized maps. Even a few of these geomorphs can easily give me 100 rooms.

After I generate a map, I then use my Labyrinth Lord Dungeon Generator. I tell it how many rooms I have and the average level of the group. With all of this, it takes me 2 hours to make a dungeon with 100 rooms. These 2 hours are spent fleshing out plot and typing up some room descriptions.

- Djeryv
Wizardawn

Return to Open Workshop