Player Races

Re: Player Races

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:03 am

There will be various appendixes, maybe a fair compromise if some suggestions for how to stat these races as PCs? WHo knows, maybe you will want a Silotron campaign! :D
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Atomic Ray » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:03 am

How about Terranoids!
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby kjc » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:36 am

Yeah, but when your playing an alien it's fun to say "HUE-MHANS" with just a hint of disdain. :D
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Brutorz Bill » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:34 am

Goblinoid Games wrote:There will be various appendixes, maybe a fair compromise if some suggestions for how to stat these races as PCs? WHo knows, maybe you will want a Silotron campaign! :D

I like this, while I can see not doing an entire PC race write-up some guidelines for stat'ing these would be cool.

Also I'm good with Terrans or Humans. :)
Brutorz Bill

Postby k-slacker » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:15 am

+1 vote for "Human".

If I had to choose, I'd prefer more content for integrating S&S with LL and MF rather than half-breeds.

(I'd love to see a supplement with a half-breed table something like Encounter Critical. Yay Robodroid-Wookie doxies!)
k-slacker

Postby fmitchell » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Another vote for Human, since not all humans would come from Earth/Terra.

Although ... do all the Taurans come from Taurus? All the Gorrans from Gorra? All the Zangids from ... Zang? And so forth.
Logic is a little tweeting bird, chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad. -- Spock, "I, Mudd"
fmitchell

Postby Goblinoid Games » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:40 pm

fmitchell wrote:Another vote for Human, since not all humans would come from Earth/Terra.

Although ... do all the Taurans come from Taurus? All the Gorrans from Gorra? All the Zangids from ... Zang? And so forth.

That is my default assumption, but of course it can be made any way you want for your own galaxy setup.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby arch0n » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:53 pm

I strongly vote for Humans over Terrans.

1. Humans may colonize other worlds. Is a pure-strain human, born on Mars, a Terran?
2. Humans may not be the only sentient species on Terra. For example, wouldn't uplifted apes be "terran"?
3. If you assume progenitor aliens, it's possible that pure-strain humans may exist on worlds that are not Terra. Assuming that these worlds were to join the Confederation, what race would its members be? Obviously, humans.
arch0n

Postby Goblinoid Games » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:58 pm

Good points all, we'll make it "Humans". :D
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby RAD Colin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:44 pm

rsaintjohn wrote:Personally, I agree with all of the above. The Daelans are not yet all that interesting, but could probably be made so and (as enemies of the Zangids*), might be further developed in a future Zangid Empire supplement (think of the FASA Klingon box set).

I agree. The Daelans just have nothing about them that grabs you culturally or aesthetically. A slight twist to appearance to further emphasize their low-light environment might help a little, such as making both hair and skin white, and their eyes, large, black, lidless orbs. Heck, give them a funny forehead or nose shape, or some patterning or something.

Alternatively, replace them in the core rules completely with a more fun-loving, pleasure-orientated race inspired by the likes of the classic green-skinned Orions (and make them human in appearance with a strange skin colour such as purple). Another option would be to replace them with a slightly less human species, even if it takes the homage route of using a common animal type and applying some physical traits and personality elements from it to an otherwise human-like individual. F'rinstance, a "proud, warrior race" might have feathers for hair and hawkish noses like Hawk from Buck Rogers:

Radioactive Ape Designs - Award-Nominated Publisher of Atomic Highway and other fine games!
RAD Colin

PreviousNext

Return to Second Edition Playtest