My Thread of Trinkets and Oddities

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

My Thread of Trinkets and Oddities

Postby Victorian » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Hey, I'm going to post things I've made here. Feel free to use them, no credit required.

Today I present: Adventuring Beasts! Pets for the hero on the go!

Dwarven Mine Dog
Alignment: Neutral
Movement: 130' (30')
Armor Class: 9
Hit Dice: 3
Attacks: 1 (bite)
Damage 1d6
Save: F1
Morale: 10

A dwarven mine dog is short in leg and large in head, with coarse yellow fur and many whiskers. They are yappy and mischievous; dwarves have never bred these traits out, though they complain about them often.
A dwarven mine hound can can sense changes in air pressure, dangerous gases and can track the scent of gold.
A dwarven mine hound has 20' infravision.

Darthorish Witch Hunting Hound
Movement: 180' (60')
Armor Class: 8
Hit Dice: 1
Damage 1d4
Morale: 8

A Darthorish witch hunting hound has white curly fur, which naturally covers their eyes, and a pink nose. They are docile and are excellently behaved around children, the ill and the elderly.
A witch hunting hound can sense magic and identify shapeshifting creatures by smell, such as familiars and werewolves. They will growl loudly to alert their master.
A witch hunter hound can latch onto the leg of a human sized bipedal opponent, causing no damage, but the opponent will receive -2 on all attack rolls until the hound chooses to let go or is dead.

Barrovacian Thief Dog
Armor Class: 7
Hit Dice: 2
Damage 1d6
Morale: 7

A thief dog is long and lean, with short black hair and stubbed tails. They are serious and never leave the side of their masters. They never bark and move as quietly as their master, sharing any successful rolls for moving silently. They have infravision of 20'.

Wallfort Grave Guard
Damage 1d4

A Wallfort grave guard dog is stout and have rich brown fur, save for it's face and stomach, which are white. They are friendly, but bark for any given reason.
They have large underbites that show off their sharp teeth. A successful attack deals 1d4 points of damage, the grave guard remains attached by the jaw thereafter and deals automatic 1d4 damage every round until either the victim or itself is killed. Grave Guards attack all forms of undead on sight, regardless of danger.

Northern Camp Dog
Movement: 150' (50')
Damage 1d4
Morale: 6

A northern camp dog is reasonably sized and often tan or bronze furred with dark spots and black, drooping ears. Northern camp dogs were not bred with any skill in mind. They are jolly and are not afraid of sudden loud noises, heavy storms or being near fire, as many other breeds are.

Orc Mutt
Hit Dice: 3
Damage 1d4+1

An orc mutt looks like a huge grey furred, black patch-eyed wolf with a long tail and big, bat-like ears. They are shifty and may nip when angered. An orc mutt can eat almost anything.

Elven Heart-Friend
Damage 1d4
Save: F2

An elven heart-friend hound has long limbs, is very graceful, with red fur, a bushy tail and a blue tongue. They are bright and enjoy playing well into their old age, which can be up to thirty or more years.
An elven heart-friend learns commands twice as fast as usual and may learn up to six complex commands. A common command taught is for the hound to drag an unconscious ally out of the fray.

Old Longbridge Dog
Armor Class: 6
Hit Dice: 4
Damage 1d8

An old Longbridge dog is bred for hunting ogres and other monsters, they have shaggy grey fur, long muzzles and large paws. They naturally stand guard when not in battle, alert to the slightest movement, they are always on the job.
They have +2 to hit versus ogres, trolls and giants.

Felkovian Ghost Cat
Hit Dice: 4
Attacks: 2 (2 claws)
Damage 1d4/1d4

A Felkovian ghost cat is large, white furred, with tufted ears and bright blue eyes. They love to hunt and will grow impatient if they spend too long away from the fray.
A ghost cat can surprise an opponent on a roll of 1-4 on a d6 in a snowy environment.

Barrovacian Witching Cat
Attacks: 2 (2 claws)
Damage 1d3/1d3

A Barrovacian witching cat is small, lithe and furless, with jet black skin and yellow eyes. They are aloof and intelligent.
A witching cat can cast the spell Knock once per day.

Wallfort Night Hawk
Movement:
Fly: 450' (150')
Attacks: 1 (swoop)
Damage 1d4

A Wallfort night hawk is a small, bronze feathered bird with back talons. They are equally at home indoors as out in the open.
They have infravision of 100'. Their first attack deals double damage if the opponent is surprised.

Elven Sun-Wing
Movement:
Fly: 450' (150')
Attacks: 1 (swoop)
Damage 1d4

An elven sun-wing is a large, long necked, golden feathered bird with a trail of rainbow coloured tail feathers. They are good natured and sociable. They can be taught to say three separate words.

Gnomish Fat-Man Toad
Movement: 90' (30')
Attacks: 1 (spit)
Damage 1d4
Morale: 6

A gnomish fat-man toad is very large, with a warty purple body and pink cheeks. They are lazy and move for no one but their master.
A fat-man toad can hide one small, blunt item within it's mouth and can be commanded to spit it out over a maximum distance of 20' for 1d4 worth of damage.
Victorian

Re: My Thread of Trinkets and Oddities

Postby kipper » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Nice work!
kipper

Postby drizzit » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:05 am

This is great. Thank's and I like the work. Ganna have to use the hell outta these.
"I now view my long road as a search for truth in my own heart, in the world around me,
and in the bigger questions of purpose and of existence. How does one define good and evil." - Drizzt Do'Urden (full name Drizzt Daermon N'a'shezbaernon)
drizzit

Postby Victorian » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:25 pm

Today I present: Various Weapons & Armour for No Apparent Reason!

I write armour because I'm European, you'll be able to ignore it, I'm sure.

Longbridge Morningstar
Morningstar
1d6
One Handed

This morningstar has a plain handle with a decent grip and long barbed head made of silver.
The handle of the morningstar has a core of wolfsbane and is enchanted to act as it when touched against a lycanthrope.

Orcish Groail
Flail
1d6/1d8 damage
10 lb
One-handed/Two-handed
Can't be thrown

This flail is made of crude metal and troll bone fragments.
At the will of the bearer, this flail can change from a ordinary sized flail into a two handed heavy flail.

Elven Loyal-Blade
Long Sword
1d8
1 lb
One-handed
Can be thrown, 1d6
Range of 15' +1, 30' 0, 45' -1

This long sword has the appearance of a purely ceremonial blade forged from electrum, with a long indigo pommel engraved with the elvish word for loyalty. It is unnaturally light, surely forged of metal from another world.
It will magically return to the bearer if it is thrown, on their next turn, and may be wielded within that turn.

Hammer of the Deep King
War Hammer
1d6+2
6 lb
Two-handed
Can't be thrown

This war hammer was forged by the dwarves during their prime, it is encrusted with red jewels and forged from a rare, dark iron alloy.
The war hammer grants complete immunity to natural fire and even protects the bearer's clothes and items on their person.
In the hands of a dwarf it raises the morale of dwarven retainers by 2.

Barrovacian Warlock Armour
Scale Armour
6 AC
35 lb

This hooded scale mail armour shimmers pale green and is lined at the neck and wrists with soft white fur.
Magic users may wear this armour, but cannot cast their highest level spells while wearing it.

Darthorish Woodsman Tunic
Leather
7 AC
20 lb

This heavy, layered, black leather tunic is accented with the symbol of Darthor at the shoulders and comes with a black, wide brimmed hat with a black swan feather in the band.
Once per week this tunic may absorb and nullify one spell targeted at the wearer. After five spells the tunic looses this ability and grants no AC bonus.

The Keeper
Plate Mail
2 AC
60 lb
This steel plate mail armour is engraved with the image of a demon, with his right foot pressed on a dying warrior.
This armour can not be removed once worn, as it fuses with the wearer until they are slain. None may swim, climb or run in this armour.
The touch from the bearer of this armour deals 2d6 damage.

Gnome Nightcloth Garment
Unarmoured
9 AC
effectively nil

This matching set of rough cloth cloak, silk tunic and leather shoes are sky blue in the daylight, but take on a darker colouration at night or underground.
It is widely worn by halfling thieves, but grants no bonus to acts of stealth.
Victorian

Postby drizzit » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:48 pm

This is why id like a LL wiki... Great homebrew.
"I now view my long road as a search for truth in my own heart, in the world around me,
and in the bigger questions of purpose and of existence. How does one define good and evil." - Drizzt Do'Urden (full name Drizzt Daermon N'a'shezbaernon)
drizzit

Postby Victorian » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Evening! I was going to post a ton of fictional countries I've made up for my players to die in, I mean- adventure in, but it turns out it takes a lot longer to write than I thought! So here is just one, enjoy!

Mercura
Title: The Tarnish Cities
Climate: Hot, humid and stormy.
Society: A rocky republic lead by elected officials from prominent positions in the military, merchant guild and house of scholars. The land is united, but several towns have their own slightly altered laws. Mercurans are fiercely patriotic. Mercura is a land that never rests, while its human inhabitants work by day, its other residence wake and work by night, due to lack of room and racial tensions.
Population: Mercura's large towns are full. Once beautiful, they are now filthy, each street is lined with immigrants, thugs and beggars. The population is almost half human, with gnomes at a quarter and half-orcs born from raids upon the lands further north filling the rest.
Religion: The people of Mercura are near faithless, preferring to entice no God's wrath than hope that one will be kind to them. If a Mercuran prays, it will be to the First Thief, a mythical hero, or the Messenger, an emissary of the Heavens.
Language: The tongue of Mercura is common, with Law aligned loan words.
Currency: Oval coins, each with a detailed press of a current leader on one side, and a flock of birds on the other.
Major Towns: Port Meserah, Pallunas, Achena & Hodia, the Traveler's Home
Major Sites: The Queen's Ruin, The Cave of the Cyclops, The Glade of Songs & Eagle's Peak
Motto: Live for Quickness & By Quickness Live

The land that would becomes the foundation for Mercura was defended from the south by an inland sea, and protected from the harsh cold of the north by a mountain range. Others may have become isolated by such a home, but the humans of Mercura were expansive in thinking, brave yet meticulous, they slowly pushed their border far beyond the sea and tamed the wilderness they found there.
For many centuries the land was ruled by a line of kings and queens, who ruled by order of a religious cult who worshiped a pair of sky gods. In time the people were brought to rebellion and slew the last queen, casting out the clergy to the deserts of the east. After these acts the republic was formed and so it has been since. There is no true record of the rebellion, and many songs and stories lament the death of the queen.
As the republic grew strong they enslaved the gnomes they found at the edge of their nation to use as servants and entertainment, but soon found them to be wise, and at times all to intelligent. Today, gnomes as a whole have risen to citizenship, though they are still bared from many establishments. Gnomes have at times been part of the ruling body of the republic, usually representing the famous house of scholars, but their time in leadership is short-lived, one way or another.
Slavery is banned in Mercura, but some years ago caravans of so called wild men and half-orcs arrived over the mountains, as barbarian raiders had done many times before. However, there were few warriors among them and none had the will to fight. They bent their knees to Mercura and became slaves in all but name, fighting in gladiatorial pits and acting as bodyguards and labourers of the elite for little pay and housing.
Recently the border of Mercura has been lessened, as the watch towers along the mountains have been overtaken by small bands of orcs from thought to be warring tribes. Deep within the heart of the land there have been troubling sightings within the still, dark sea. Rumours spread among the people, of the desert nomads; they say they are searching for a living heir to Mercura's throne.

I have about thirty six I could write up, but I don't think I'll get around to it, sorry! Here are the best ones in brief, quite well off country run by vampires- morally grey stuff wow, mad lich who uses peasants and adventurers as pawns in his twisted games, magical wasteland that was once a beautiful elven forest- cannibal elves!, orcs pretending to be civilised in a dwarf city after killing everyone, country of magic hating witch hunters with half-elf throw backs born all the time due to a curse
Last edited by Victorian on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Victorian

Postby Blood axe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:07 pm

Great stuff!!
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Victorian » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Blood axe wrote:Great stuff!!

What do you like in particular, out of interest? :D
Victorian

Postby Blood axe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:19 pm

I liked the different ideas for creatures mostly. But also some of the items . I might steal some for a game. Id say the dogs were my favorite.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Return to Open Workshop