The Pacesetter System Part 2: The Action Table

For discussion of the zombie survival horror game.

The Pacesetter System Part 2: The Action Table

Postby Goblinoid Games » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:58 pm

It's a true shame that Pacesetter went out of business when it seemed like they were just hitting their stride. Of the products they published, it was really only CHILL that went on to enjoy future support, but the second edition used a revised system published my Mayfair Games.

I think if Pacesetter had survived longer the Action Table system would have become better known. It is a real gem, but if it suffered in any way other than its short published lifespan it was only because it is quite different from anything else and probably needs to be introduced to a reader in stages rather than all at once.

At its heart the system is a percentile system. I talked about attributes and how skill percentages are determined in the <a href="http://uhluhtcawakens.blogspot.com/2011/11/pacesetter-system-part-1-intro-and.html">last article</a>. Whenever the outcome for an event or action needs to be determined, like skills, paranormal talents, or some other kind of roll like avoiding the effects of poison, the player or referee will roll percentile dice.

There are two kinds of these checks. One is called a "general" check and the other is a "specific" check. If the check is a general check, you are only trying to roll equal to or less than the target number. Some skills and paranormal talents work this way, where you are only interested in a binary success or failure. So far that sounds pretty familiar, right? These kinds of rolls are common to pretty much all RPGs. The specific check is where things are different. Refer to the Action Table below (thanks Tim, I borrowed the one you posted on your blog!):

So let's say I'm rolling against my Gambling skill of 74%. You'll note that on the Action Table there are 10 columns under Defense Column. Usually skills use Column 3. If I roll 44 on 1d%, I subtract 44 from 74, with a result of 30. Looking at the Attack Margin Column I cross-reference a margin of 30 to column 2. The result is "C". What that letter means for a specific check when dealing with skills or paranormal talents is specifically tailored to the skill or talent. In this case it allows me a big bonus to cheat at gambling. Yeah me!

You will also note on the chart that ability checks usually use column 2. Sometimes a referee might decide a task is harder than usual and require a higher column number to roll on, thus limiting the degree of success that is possible.

But what about combat? One of the differences between the Action Table system and most other games is that essentially all weapons do the same damage. This was one of the hardest things for me to wrap my mind around at first. Most games are what I would call "front loaded". Damage is decided by perceived lethality of the weapon, and generally skill of use does not affect damage even though ability adjustments might. So a sword in the hand of a 1st level fighter in Labyrinth Lord will do the same damage as a 5th level fighter or even a 15th level fighter, though increased skill may be reflected in additional attacks at those higher levels. But with high skill also comes more attacks in the Action Table system, too.

But the Action Table system is "back loaded". Rather than split hairs about whether something deals 1d6 vs. 1d8 damage, the degree of success in a skill roll determines how well the weapon is used. When fighting melee combat the attacker matches the defender's equivalent skill percentage to the range of numbers above the Defense Column to see which column results are used. So for example, if I'm attacking someone with a sword, we use the defender's sword skill percentage to determine defense. This makes a lot of sense. He can use his skill to parry, anticipate my actions, and deflect damage. If the defender does not have the particular skill that the attacker is using, then he uses his Unskilled Melee ability (which all characters have) to decide the defense column.

So what's happened here are three things. The Action Table will have accounted for the attacker's skill when looking at attack margin, at the defender's ability in using his skill to decide the defense column, and third, the defense ability is also accounting for the ability to dodge or parry. So many games have a separate dodge skill, which in my opinion is a terrible way to handle dodge or parry. It often results in an endless combat circle of "I hit!" - "Wait, no you didn't, he rolled his dodge skill!"

Missile weapons, including everything from bows to laser guns, work just slightly different. There is a wider margin of chance for melee weapons. The defender does not use a skill to determine defense column because there is no chance to parry and dodge in the same way one might in a knife fight. Instead, chance plays the role here and the defender rolls a d10 to decide which defense column is used.

Aside from some situational modifiers, that's pretty much it. The Action System is actually not so complicated. You could sit down and play right now with this basic understanding. It is quite elegant in its ability to handle many situations within the table. Now of course, there can be more to it. There are various situational modifiers that many RPGs have that cal alter your skill roll. Characters with high strength can inflict more damage in melee combat, etc.

In this system characters have both stamina points and wound boxes. When wound boxes reach zero a character dies. When stamina reaches zero the character passes out, which could make him as good as dead depending on the situation. This is a gritty, deadly system.

I haven't decided yet if there will be a "Part 3" to this series. Maybe I should open it up to questions. Does anyone out there have any questions about the system? Has there always been something that baffled you about it? Just want a clarification? Fire away!
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Re: The Pacesetter System Part 2: The Action Table

Postby John Adams » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:54 am

I appreciate this explanation, Dr.! And I can see why you are so pumped about it.
I may have to find an online Rotworld game. :)
John Adams

Postby GreyKatana » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:29 pm

I'm a bit uncertain about "Called Shots".
What happens when you don't roll that "C" you need? Did you miss or hit somewhere else?
And what if someone calls headshot, does it equal "C" damage or "CK" or more (like a instant kill for a human)?
Cause calling for a headshot at "C" seems kind of pointless since you need a "C" to make the Called Shot.
GreyKatana

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:56 pm

GreyKatana wrote:I'm a bit uncertain about "Called Shots".

I'll see if I can help!

GreyKatana wrote:What happens when you don't roll that "C" you need? Did you miss or hit somewhere else?

If you roll a miss, you miss just like normal. Any result "lower" than C deals normal damage.

GreyKatana wrote:And what if someone calls headshot, does it equal "C" damage or "CK" or more (like a instant kill for a human)?
Cause calling for a headshot at "C" seems kind of pointless since you need a "C" to make the Called Shot.

The only benefit "as written" to the called shot to the head is if the head has no armor then you can deal normal damage.

Having said all of that, I think the rules for called shots are a great opportunity to expand the results. In the armor section there are details fr what happens with a called shot to the hand or arm, and I think that could be extrapolated to what happens with the leg or head.

I may write up some more gritty called shot/hit location rules. One method would be to have different areas have their own wound boxes, with dire results when they are used up.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby GreyKatana » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:32 pm

Thanks Dan for the explanations.
GreyKatana

Postby Blood axe » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:34 am

The "called shot" is useful for the old " shoot'em in the head!" Zombie. ;)
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:15 pm

Blood axe wrote:The "called shot" is useful for the old " shoot'em in the head!" Zombie. ;)

Right, specifically in ROTWORLD that's what you'd want to do!
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby GreyKatana » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:18 pm

Another question.
I do not quite the point of defensive missile fire. I do not mean the mechanic, it's fairly simple. Just what it is suppose to model in a gun fight.
Up to now I basically see it as just adding complexity to the Sequence of Play.

I'm tempted to remove it from the Sequence and (since I also don't use Paranormal Talents in my campaign world) just change to something simple such as this:
1. CM declaration
2. PC declaration
3. Initiative determination
4. Side A:
    a) Fires or throws missiles
    b) Moves
    c) Melees
5. Side B:
    a) Fires or throws missiles
    b) Moves
    c) Melees
6. Stamina loss and recovery

Thanks once more for you input.

P.S.: Is there an Errata thread somewhere or should I send what I find directly to you Dan as PMs?
GreyKatana

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:47 am

The way melee is set up reflects the idea that missile fire takes place before melee. The side that won initiative has an advantage in that at the end of the combat round they can fire again if they have additional attacks remaining. The way you've altered the sequence allows the winning side to melee before the other side gets to fire missiles. I don't think there is necessarilyy anything inherently "bad" about that, but it does change the underlying assumptions.

Feel free to PM me errata, especially if you mean editorial issues as opposed to true errata.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby GreyKatana » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks, I get it.
In that case I think I'll stick with the original SoP as it is indeed more realistic.

I'll PM you anything I find.
GreyKatana

Return to ROTWORLD