Turgenev's Map Thread

This forum is for sharing your maps, and map making tips or ideas.

Re: Turgenev's Map Thread

Postby Turgenev » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:40 pm

Here's this week's Friday Freebie map. I took a break from dungeons to do a map style that I haven't done in ages -- an ancient (Bronze Age?) city block. Click to enlarge.

Map Details:
* This map shows a series of ancient (Bronze Age?) city blocks. These blocks could be used separately or together as a whole. Either way, they represent a section of a larger city.
* Each square represents 10’ but a DM could easily run the map with each square equalling 5’.
* Block A: Area 25 has a tapestry.
* Block B: Area 14 has a statue and a tapestry.
* Block C: Area 12 is an open area with pillars and a roof. Area 16 has a tapestry.
* Block D: Areas 1 a) and 26 have outdoor statues. I pictured area 10 a) to e) as some kind of open market. Area 21 b) has a secret trap door in the floor.
* Block E: Area 8 has a statue. Area 20 has a tapestry.

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/200 ... p-12092016

The Enhanced Version PDF that contains the December 9, 2016 Friday Freebie Map with multiple layers allowing the options of numbered or non-numbered areas and secret doors on or off (for ease with Virtual Tabletop programs). All for a $1 (US)!

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:36 pm

Here's this week's Friday Freebie map. Click to enlarge.

Map Details:
* I've included various passages that lead off the map so the DM has room to expand.
* The dash lines are elevation markers.
* The row of dots are bars.
* The irregular-sized dots represent rubble.
* Areas 1, 6, 10, and 23 a) have pillars.
* Area 3 has a pool of water.
* Areas 4 and 24 have tapestries.
* Areas 5, 14, 15, 16, and 21 have statues (I like to think that area 16's statue is actually a golem that will attack any who do not give the password).
* Area 10 has an open balcony that overlooks area 36.
* Area 13 is the 10' x 30' open pit.
* Area 21 has a large open pit/well.
* Area 25 has a one-way door at the southern entrance.
* Area 29 represents the underground river.
* The tunnel north of area 32 has a downward slope.
* Area 37 d) is the sinkhole.

While this map can be used as a stand alone map, it can also be linked up with five weeks' worth of Friday Freebie maps. The six maps together would look like this (click to enlarge):

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/200 ... p-12162016

The Enhanced Version PDF that contains the December 16, 2016 Friday Freebie Map with multiple layers allowing the options of white or black backgrounds, numbered or non-numbered areas, and secret doors on or off (for ease with Virtual Tabletop programs). All for a $1 (US)!

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:05 pm

I'm away for the holidays on Friday so here's this week's Friday Freebie map. Click to enlarge.

Map Details:
* I've included various passages that lead off the map so the DM has room to expand.
* Area 1 has a set of circular stairs that lead to the surface.
* Areas 3, 22, 28, and 32 have statues.
* Area 7 has a secret trap door in the floor that connects to area 39 below (a 30' x 90' chamber).
* Areas 4, 10, 19, 26, and 30 have pillars.
* Area 16 is a 10' x 20' open pit.
* Areas 20, 35, 29 b), 39, and 41 have tapestries.
* Area 21 is a chute trap that lead to a lower level.
* Area 28 a) has a pool of water.
* Area 29 a) is a trapped corridor.
* Area 31 has one-way secret doors.

While this map can be used as a stand alone map, it can also be linked up with six weeks' worth of Friday Freebie maps. The seven maps together would look like this (click to enlarge):

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/201 ... p-12232016

The Enhanced Version PDF that contains the December 23, 2016 Friday Freebie Map with multiple layers allowing the options of white or black backgrounds, numbered or non-numbered areas, and secret doors on or off (for ease with Virtual Tabletop programs). All for a $1 (US)!

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:36 pm

Map Details:
* Areas 1, 6 a), and 27 have statues.
* Areas 6 a), 14, 32, and 37 have pillars.
* Area 8 has a large column/pillar.
* Areas 11 and 38 have tapestries.
* Areas 21, 28, and 29 have secret trap doors in the floors. The secret trap door in area 21 connects to the lower corridor of area 30 b). The secret trap door of area 28 connects to the lower corridor of area 36. The secret trap door of area 29 connects to the lower corridor.
* Area 27 a) and b) are divided by an open pit 'moat.' Area 27 c) is a raised platform/pyramid with an altar on top.

While this map can be used as a stand alone map, it can also be linked up with seven previous weeks' worth of Friday Freebie maps. The eight maps together would look like this (click to enlarge):

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/202 ... p-01062017

The Enhanced Version PDF that contains the January 6, 2017 Friday Freebie Map with multiple layers allowing the options of white or black backgrounds, numbered or non-numbered areas, and secret doors on or off (for ease with Virtual Tabletop programs). All for a $1 (US)!

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:54 pm

Map Details:
* The secret doors with arrows are one-way secret doors.
* Area 2 has an open pit that connects to the cave tunnel below.
* Areas 3 and 15 have statues.
* Areas 5 and 14 have pillars.
* Area 10 has a large open well/pit.
* Area 26 represents the underground river.
* Area 29 b) is a raised platform that is 40' above area 29 a).

While this map can be used as a stand alone map, it can also be linked up with eight previous weeks' worth of Friday Freebie maps. The nine maps together would look like this (click to enlarge):

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/202 ... p-01132017

The Enhanced Version PDF that contains the January 13, 2017 Friday Freebie Map with multiple layers allowing the options of white or black backgrounds, numbered or non-numbered areas, and secret doors on or off (for ease with Virtual Tabletop programs). All for a $1 (US)!

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Map Details:
* The dash lines are elevation lines.
* The irregular shaped dots represent rubble.
* Area 1 has a tapestry. It also has circular stairs leading upwards.
* Area 2, 12, and 15 have pillars.
* Area 13 has statues which block access to 13 c) (except for the smallest creatures).
* Area 33 has a chasm (the depth is up to the DM).

While this map can be used as a stand alone map, it can also be linked up with nine previous weeks' worth of Friday Freebie maps. The ten maps together would look like this (click to enlarge):

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/203 ... p-01202017

The Enhanced Version PDF that contains the January 20, 2017 Friday Freebie Map with multiple layers allowing the options of white or black backgrounds, numbered or non-numbered areas, and secret doors on or off (for ease with Virtual Tabletop programs). All for a $1 (US)!

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:28 am

No it isn't Friday. ;) I had the urge to draw a random dungeon and here it is. Overall, it is probably around 80% random. I'm also trying out some ideas to see how things look (like the grey/white background instead of black and T# designating traps). Click to enlarge.

Map Details:
* T1 Pit trap, 20' deep, 2 in 6 to fall in.
* T2 Pit Trap, 10' deep, 3 in 6 to fall in.
* T3 Falling stones, does 2d10 damage to each person who fails a saving throw vs petrification.
* T4 Poisonous gas, inhaling the gas causes fear unless a saving throw vs poison is made.
* T5 Fusillade of darts, 1d3 darts per character shoots out of the walls. The darts attack as a 4 HD monster and do 1d3 damage each.
* The arrows represent one-way doors/secret doors.
* The row of dots represent bars/gates.
* Area 2 has a fountain/pool of water.
* Areas 12 and 40 have statues.
* Areas 13, 22, 39, and 40 have pillars.
* The stairs at area 16 go down 3 levels.
* The stairs at area 21 head upwards 1 level but stop at a dead end.
* Area 37 has a natural pool of water.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Map Details:
* The arrows represent downward slopes.
* Areas 9 and 12 have pillars.
* The river at area 24 a) flows under the surrounding cave walls. Entrance/exit points are completely submerged.

While this map can be used as a stand alone map, it can also be linked up with ten previous weeks' worth of Friday Freebie maps. The eleven maps together would look like this (click to enlarge):

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/203 ... p-01272017

The Enhanced Version PDF that contains the January 27, 2017 Friday Freebie Map with multiple layers allowing the options of white or black backgrounds, numbered or non-numbered areas, and secret doors on or off (for ease with Virtual Tabletop programs). All for a $1 (US)!

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:57 pm

Way back in the beginning (in 2008), I drew a series of maps known collectively as the Wizard's Ring. They can be found near the bottom of the following page: http://paratime.ca/map-portfolio4.html

I've redrawn the maps to bring them up to code (as it were). Sorry, there is no black & white/greyscale option. I've made some minor changes here and there (mainly changed some textures/background images because I no longer had the original images). Here are the redrawn versions. Click to enlarge.

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Postby Turgenev » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:50 pm

Map Details:
* The curved lines with arrows represent downward slopes.
* The arrows with secret doors represent one-way doors.
* Areas 3, 13 a), 25, 31, and 32 have covered pit traps.
* Areas 6, 16, and 30 have pillars.
* Areas 8, 16, and 52 have statues.
* Areas 13 b), 15, and 34 have tapestries.
* Areas 28 a) and 29 have secret trap doors in the floors.
* Area 47 b) is a natural pool of water.

While this map can be used as a stand alone map, it can also be linked up with eleven previous weeks' worth of Friday Freebie maps. The twelve maps together would look like this (click to enlarge):

I'm working on a separate map PDF that collects all twelve Friday Freebie maps that form this mega-dungeon. The working title is, "The Nethervaults of Nitrah Venegrut the Mad - Part 1." Part 2 will be the next mega-dungeon that continues from this series.

I have an Enhanced version of this week's Friday Freebie for sale here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/204 ... p-02032017

The Enhanced Version PDF that contains the February 3, 2017 Friday Freebie Map with multiple layers allowing the options of white or black backgrounds, numbered or non-numbered areas, and secret doors on or off (for ease with Virtual Tabletop programs). All for a $1 (US)!

Cheers,
Tim
Turgenev

Previous

Return to Maps and Map Making