A few Magical Items.

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

A few Magical Items.

Postby JDJarvis » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:14 pm

Saddle of the Alert Ritter- This saddle allows the rider to spend time in the saddle without being subjected to normal fatigue. A rider must be wary fir their steed will suffer normal fatigue.

Secure Platform- A rider in this saddle can't be unhorsed or thrown from the saddle.

Razorbane line: This rope can not be cut unless one knows the magic word which must be spoken as it is cut.

Whisper Knot: This rope will tie and untie itself with but softly spoken command words.

Revealing Candle (20'R, 4 turns)- all invisible creatures and features within the illumination will be revealed. The invisibility is not canceled by being revealed the invisibility is simply non-functional within the radius of the revealing candles light.

Robber's Wick (10'R, 12 turns)- only the bearer of this candle benefits from it's illumination.
Last edited by JDJarvis on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDJarvis

Re: A few Magical Items.

Postby jcftao » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:30 pm

The Robber's Wick is my favorite!

I've got some for you...

Saddle of Vaulting: Doubles the jumping height and distance of your mount

Saddle of Ill Fate: Cursed saddle which appears as the "Secure Platform" but will unbuckle itself when the rider charges into combat.

Shadow Strand: when tied to an object, rope turns invisible and can only be seen in direct sunlight.
jcftao

Postby Skathros » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:54 pm

JDJarvis wrote:Robber's Wick (10'R, 12 turns)- only the bearer of this candle benefits from it's illumination.

Love it! Stealing it!
WIZARDS' LORE: A Wizards' World fan site & home to Dungeon Delving Games.
OSRWTF: A more critical look at the movement from a disenchanted fan.
Skathros

Postby Denim N Leather » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:29 pm

They are VERY powerful; too powerful for LL, I would say, except for the whisper knot.
Denim N Leather

Postby JDJarvis » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Denim N Leather wrote:They are VERY powerful; too powerful for LL, I would say, except for the whisper knot.

How are they too powerful for LL? Limited wish and Wish both exist in LL and are certainly capable of trumping theses items.
JDJarvis

Postby Denim N Leather » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:04 pm

Because they are all-good without anything to balance them out; no saves or any sort of spell failure chance make them too powerful. Wish and Limited wish are lvl 7 and 9 spells, respectively. Granted, Invisibility is Lvl 2, but the odds are against anyone having a magic item that bestows invisibility. Having an item that just does away with invisibility without costing anything (unlike casting Dispel Magic), to me, is horribly unbalanced.

Just my opinion; YMMV, etc etc.
Denim N Leather

Postby jcftao » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:32 pm

The candle has a built in limitation in turns of life. DM could restrict by saying once lit, the magic is expended. So, no lighting and blowing it out to use later...but I'd use it like that. ;)
jcftao

Postby JDJarvis » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:39 pm

Denim N Leather wrote:Because they are all-good without anything to balance them out; no saves or any sort of spell failure chance make them too powerful. Wish and Limited wish are lvl 7 and 9 spells, respectively. Granted, Invisibility is Lvl 2, but the odds are against anyone having a magic item that bestows invisibility. Having an item that just does away with invisibility without costing anything (unlike casting Dispel Magic), to me, is horribly unbalanced.

Just my opinion; YMMV, etc etc.

I wanted your opinion, that's why I asked. I admit I don't agree . I don't imagine Saddle of the Alert Ritter is unbalanced as it is only of value to 1 character in a group and it is certainly possible for a PC to kill their mount by disregarding it's condition. Secure Platform is only of value in a limited range of situations and doesn't enhance combat stats. Razorbane line is certainly handy but hardly up there in power, knot's could still be untied.The revealing candle only works for a limited duration and is done, it's ability to trump invisibility is powerful in that regard but only in that regard; I don't recall a dispel magic spell that can be canceled with a puff of breath and invisibility is not dispelled by being revealed by the candle (I'll add that to the description however, thanks for helping me see that need). Robber's Wick is only beneficial in a very small range of situation and is far less effective them the infravision spell.
JDJarvis

Postby JDJarvis » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:42 pm

jcftao wrote:The candle has a built in limitation in turns of life. DM could restrict by saying once lit, the magic is expended. So, no lighting and blowing it out to use later...but I'd use it like that. ;)

Candles do certainly have a built in range of limitations (needing to be lit, wind, gusts,water). A DM wouldn't be out of line limiting the candle to being lit only once. I myself would be likely to have each time the candle is lit it uses up a turn worth of functionality even if only actually used for a a couple rounds.
JDJarvis

Postby Denim N Leather » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:05 am

JDJarvis wrote:
jcftao wrote:The candle has a built in limitation in turns of life. DM could restrict by saying once lit, the magic is expended. So, no lighting and blowing it out to use later...but I'd use it like that. ;)

Candles do certainly have a built in range of limitations (needing to be lit, wind, gusts,water). A DM wouldn't be out of line limiting the candle to being lit only once. I myself would be likely to have each time the candle is lit it uses up a turn worth of functionality even if only actually used for a a couple rounds.

And therein lies the issue.

If I were a player and a) spent the THOUSANDS of gp necessary to make this item, or MONTHS of trial and error ... or, if I were to risk life and limb to get this item in a hoard, and then the DM pulled a random gust of wind, or penalized my usage in this manner, I would cry fowl. It takes the GAME (ie, the FUN) out of having the item. If you have checks and balances already built into the item, then the player learns its limitations and can work with (or around) them. To pull the rug out from under the player because YOU, as DM, gave him something that's too powerful, spoils the FUN.

On the other hand, imagine this scenario: Magic-user is alone for some reason and hears the baddies coming his way.
MU: I cast Invisibility
DM: Okay, the bad guys enter and start to search for you. One of them pulls out a candle and lights it. To your surprise, you are now visible! The guards raise their crossbows ...

Instead of REWARDING the player for having the foresight (and luck) to pick Invisibilty for the day, you are PENALIZING him. He already cannot move without risking detection, as it is.

Edit: I do like the flavour of it annulling invisibility within its range ... move out of range, and you are invisible again. I think it could be tightened up a lot more, tho, because it leaves a LOT open to interpretation. And we ALL know the first thing a player will do is find a loophole and exploit the crap out of it; and I don't blame him -- because to him, it's live or die. I think that LL simply doesn't have the mechanics in place to fully balance out such a powerful item. This candle, to me, is a Relic or Wondrous Item, not a simple Magic Item.

I do like the flavour and general direction you are going in, however. You just need to have more angles covered! :)

Example: What if the player takes the candle and pops it into a lantern? Now he can focus the beam for greater range and it's immune to wind!
Denim N Leather

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord