Old School Superheroes

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Re: Old School Superheroes

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:08 am

Indeed all of that makes sense :)

And playing games with Superman level powers...I am not on board...icon grade games are bad news...planet punching should be left to DBZ lol
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Agrippa » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:10 am

How about this for a challenge. Try statting out Midnighter, Elijah Snow and or Spider Jerusalem. All Warren Ellis characters of course.
Agrippa

Postby gentleman john » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:50 am

Atomic Ray wrote:And playing games with Superman level powers...I am not on board...icon grade games are bad news...planet punching should be left to DBZ lol

Superman-level games draw their interest not from the foes that the characters fight, but from the quandaries that you put the players in. When you can defeat almost any enemy, there needs to be something else to drive the game forward. I've always fancied running a truly cosmic-level SHRPG, and I've imagined it as being something like Jack Kirby's Fourth World or the Heavy Metal Galactus story. However, I have neither had the courage nor (or so I believe) the right players for such a game. Im more likely to get to run a game of Deathwatch than something like that :(

As for DBZ - no thank you. Fifteen minutes of waiting for Namek to explode while ever-more-ultimate forms are exposed ... Although I have considered using the core of the DBZ game for a Streetfighter-style game.

Getting back on topic, old school superheroes would definitely not fit into my vision for a cosmic-level game. Too much philosophisin', not enough flexin'.
gentleman john

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:47 am

gentleman john wrote:
Atomic Ray wrote:Getting back on topic, old school superheroes would definitely not fit into my vision for a cosmic-level game. Too much philosophisin', not enough flexin'.

All that is true...but the flexing would mean all that much more if they are the strongest around :)
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:48 am

Agrippa wrote:How about this for a challenge. Try statting out Midnighter, Elijah Snow and or Spider Jerusalem. All Warren Ellis characters of course.

I will! Give me a day or two...been working 14hr days...I am a contractor for ship electronics...a bit wiped right now :(
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Agrippa » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:54 am

Atomic Ray wrote:
Agrippa wrote:How about this for a challenge. Try statting out Midnighter, Elijah Snow and or Spider Jerusalem. All Warren Ellis characters of course.

I will! Give me a day or two...been working 14hr days...I am a contractor for ship electronics...a bit wiped right now :(

Oh, that's okay. I've been working on a Midnighter writeup for a little while using a mix of Mutant Future and RC D&D and some home brew for it including my streetfighter/ruffian class.
Agrippa

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Look forward to seeing them...it was tough getting behind these characters, I did not know them and they were not the type I would look to :(
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Agrippa » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:25 pm

I can understand that they're not the type of hero you would look to, but I did say it was a challenge. Now I just need to know how a tonfa would be handled in LL or Mutant Future.

By the way these are some of the quotes I might use for Midnighter.

”Each drop is as deadly as every other part of my body, Jack. I beat AIDS in six weeks and a cold never stays in my system for more than a couple of minutes, remember? Un-blocking the opiate receptors in The Doctor's brain should be like Bruce Lee fighting an octogenarian. My anti-bodies can kick the crap out of anything.”

“Cyborgs. Well, that explains a lot. Like the unusually strong scent of fuel and oil. What it doesn’t explain… is why the hell are cyborgs stealing cats in Suburbia?”

"Let me make this situation clear for you. I know what special abilities you have. I can see the enhancements. I can detect the increased electrical activity in your brain. I know what moves you're preparing to make. I've fought our fight already, in my head, in a million different ways. I can hit you without you even seeing me. I'm what soldiers dream of growing into. I'm what children see when they first imagine what death is like. I'm the Midnighter. Your Move.”
Agrippa

Postby Atomic Ray » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:12 am

Tonfa are a fun item.

A club for damage or used for special purpose...close combat block, I would think a savings throw maybe...to represent damage over a certain amount?

Sacrifice an action for a block up to a certain damage rating or value?

If over that value then maybe a block and a successful saving throw could mean half damage?
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Agrippa » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:25 am

Yeah, something like that could work. This site and video have some more tonfa details. Though there is a problem with some of his other weapons.
Agrippa

PreviousNext

Return to Mutant Future