Hakkon, Dark God of Justice

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Hakkon, Dark God of Justice

Postby Agrippa » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:05 am

I found an interesting thread in Giant in the Playground's World-Building sub forum. The basic idea is to build a pantheon starting from the weakest gods up to the strongest. Now I'd like to see us try that, but with a twist. God's must have at least two domains, one from each parent. At the same time single domain gods are members of lesser godly/fairy/demonic races created by, and often subservient, to a higher ranking god. They must however have one of the lieges domains. I have a few special rules for this game/whatever the the hell you want to call it. No god may have more than five domains, the more powerful the god (i.e. the more domains it has) the broader and deeper the god's power in that domain and the weaker a god is (i.e. the fewer domains it has) the narrower and weaker it's power is. Single to two domain gods/divine creatures would be a match for street level superheroes or their nearest equivalent in your chosen fantasy RPG.

Code: Select all
Domains           Monster Hit Dice   Godly class levels*
One                     1-6                  -
Two                     7-9                 1-6
Three                  10-12                7-12                         
Four                   13-21               13-21
Five                     -                 22-27
Six or seven             -                 28-42

*Technically these are the number of magic-user level equivalents to their class(es)'s experience totals. It sounds rather clunky but this is the best way I have to explain it right now.

Sample God: Haakon
Name: Haakon, The Black and Silver Watchman Shrouded in Shadow
Appearance: Haakon appears in the form a young and athletically built human male with shoulder length silver hair. His olive colored skin is mottled with black and silver marks that cross and swirl about his body. Except for the eyes. Those have scleras of molten gold, irises of white with gray marbling and granite pupils. Haakon is clad in a charcoal tunic and leggings cloaked with a black mist or cloud that wrap around him as mantle. However Haakon's cloak isn't a separate physical item, rather it's a manifestation of the lesser god's power. Haakon can also use this cloak of darkness as armor and create temporary weapons and grappling tools as a further extension of it.
This is what Haakon's cloak looks like, just midnight blue to black instead of dark red.
Domain: Justice and Darkness
Classes and Levels: 20,000 exp. worth of class levels.
Personality: Oddly, or fittingly, enough for a god of justice Haakon is known for his mercy and compassion towards certain non-violent criminals. Like thieves and con artists who steal to survive. He sees them not as evil doers but as poor wretches in need of care with the potential to be so much more. In general Haakon pays little to no attention to thieves, so long as they cause no harm to their victims. With that said Haakon holds no mercy or patience for thieves who do cause harm to their victims, unless the theft was in response to a much more heinous crime, and the "victim" of said theft perpetrated the original crime.
Alignment: Not sure, but leaning to Lawful Good.

Haakon also possesses a wry and sometimes self deprecating sense of humor. This often results in him making light of some of his lesser failures and setbacks. He has a relatively small ego for a god and is known for accepting advice from mortals.
Relationship with mortals: Haakon has two small cults in the city of Ambertown. One comprised of honest city watch members and vigilantes dedicated to toppling crime lords, corrupt merchants and nobles and corrupt police while battling other criminals. His second cult consists of the people of Ambertown that Haakon has saved or sought justice for.
Parents: Father was a mid grade/rank god of justice, mother was a demoness and lady of hell, herself vassal to a mighty, if mostly laissez faire Hell King.
Sanctum: Haakon's sanctum is a five room apartment similar in style and function to a modern day loft-style apartment that serves as a home for him, a shrine for his cult, a base of operations for his plan to rid Ambertown of corruption and organized crime and shelter for those in need, including his own followers. If you want an idea of what Haakon's sanctum would be like think of a magical version of either Richard Castle's apartment or Leverage headquarters.

I haven't named Haakon's parents yet. I figure I should leave that up to you, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with how he turned out. Part of his back story, if you feel like including it, is that Haakon left/ran away from his divine parents to make his own way in the mortal world. He decided on Ambertown as his new home and is determined to bring justice to it. As you can guess Ambertown started out as a small town founded around an amber claim. It eventually grew into a large bustling metropolis home to several captains of industry. Think of it as something along the lines of Gotham City mixed with 50's-60's era Las Vegas in a more obviously fantasy setting.
Last edited by Agrippa on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Agrippa

Re: Hakkon, Dark God of Justice

Postby greyarea » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Interesting. How did you come up with the name Hakkon?
greyarea

Postby Agrippa » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:38 am

greyarea wrote:Interesting. How did you come up with the name Hakkon?

It's Norwegian for "high son". A fitting name for god, isn't it? I should mention that demons aren't innately evil, instead they have strong inborn tendencies towards Chaos while the gods tend towards Law. The Fair Folk's alignment tendencies vary by court. The Underworld the demons come from resembles a mix of the Demon City, the Troll Market and various mythical underworlds.

By the way, when I mention Lawful and Chaotic alignments I'm talking about in AD&D terms.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:07 pm

I should mention that I'm working on a Disgaea inspired demon noble class using the elf class as a base. This scene might help you understand the general tone of the games I'm basing some of my demons on.
Agrippa

Postby Blood axe » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:25 pm

Sounds like an awesome idea for a patron in DCC RPG.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Agrippa » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:36 pm

I should mention being a fledgling god, Haakon is roughly equivalent to a PC with 20,000 experience points, the bare minimum for a 5th level magic-user, in term of personal power and skill. He also too weak and inexperienced to grant much power as a patron, especially anything like clerical or warlock-like spell casting. Long term but minor blessings are more his bailiwick, along with being attuned with his city. Basically Haakon is a genuis loci.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:38 am

I forgot to mention something. When I'm talking about gods, I'm mostly talking about the more extraordinary gods, like the mighty high gods, fairy lords, demon princes and their their prominent warriors, rogues and sages. Maybe even gods of specific cities and other places. The PC or major NPC equivalent gods. Not all gods are like that though. In fact most are the equivalent of 0 level office workers who manage heaven's bureaucracy. Think Milton Waddams crossed over with a watered down version of Mr. Immortal when you think of most rank and file gods.
Agrippa

Return to Open Workshop