Mutant Future campaign Chicago, IL

Post your online or in person gamer meetups here! Post here if seeking to start a game.

Mutant Future campaign Chicago, IL

Postby Willy Elektrix » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:03 am

I am part of role-playing group with 2-3 other players. I will be starting a Mutant Future campaign the weekend of 9/26 or 10/3. I am looking to recruit another player or two. The game will probably be on Saturdays at a game store on the north side of Chicago. We will play alternate weeks. If anyone has any interest in playing, please let me know and I will try to work with your schedule.

I am a very experienced game master with a sense of ironic humor. I am more interested in role-playing versus "roll"-playing, but there will be plenty of dice rolling too.

I posted this in the Gamer Gatherings and Mutant Future forums. I didn't know which was best. Sorry to be a nuisance!
Willy Elektrix

Re: Mutant Future campaign Chicago, IL

Postby greyarea » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:20 am

Where in Chicago?
greyarea

Postby Willy Elektrix » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:08 pm

Most likely the Dice Dojo (5550 North Broadway, Chicago, IL 60640), although I'm not set on it. If you have a different idea, I'm willing to consider it.

Do you live in the city?
Willy Elektrix

Postby greyarea » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:33 pm

I do: River North area. Never been to the Dice Dojo.

I don't have a different idea though, just curious where you were thinking.
greyarea

Postby Willy Elektrix » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:06 am

I'm 30 years old. I've been role-playing off-and-on since I was a young kid. I started with AD&D 2nd edition, but have played a lot of different systems. I really like science fiction settings, and some of my other favorite games/worlds are Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay and Eclipse Phase. I write all of my own adventures and never use modules, but I'm not the type of game master that can improvise everything and keep it interesting. However, I pride myself on writing adventures that give the players meaningful choices and are rarely "on rails".

The other members of the group of 21, 25, and 27. We've been playing different games together regularly for several years but are in need of some new blood and ideas.

I am attracted to Mutant Future because of its imaginative setting and its loose mechanics. I have not played Mutant Future before, but I did game master Labyrinth Lord. I will be using a few simple house rules for Mutant Future.

One house rule is a skill-like system based on "backgrounds". Players will have the opportunity to devise different backgrounds and assign points to them. In certain circumstances, these may give the player a bonus to attribute checks. For instance, if you choose a "farmer" background you could be give a bonus to wisdom checks for identifying crops, or a bonus to constitution checks for working in the sun all day.

The other house rule is a system of "feats" that can be chosen at various levels. These might let the player reroll saves, cause additional combat damage, develop mutations, earn followers, or other things.

If this sounds interesting to you, I can keep you posted about the date. I am going out of town for a week but we plan to start when I return which will be the last weekend of September of the first weekend of October. We typically play Saturday afternoons (i.e. 2PM-6PM).

What do you think?
Willy Elektrix

Postby Willy Elektrix » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:08 am

The campaign will begin this Saturday (10/3) at 2:30PM at the Dice Dojo in Chicago (5550 N. Broadway). There are currently 3 players attending. Please send me a message if you intend to come (I hope that you do).
Willy Elektrix

Postby Willy Elektrix » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:34 am

The second session of this campaign will be Saturday 10/17 at 2:30PM at the Dice Dojo North in Chicago. New players are still welcome. Post here or send me a message if you are interested.

We had a blast last session. The players are traversing the mutated jungles of South America. They broke up a cult of addicts hooked on the psychotropic milk of a giant intelligent udder. The party consists of:

A pure human monk dedicated to preserving lost technology (think Canticle for Leibowitz).
A tough humanoid bear who is a former law enforcement agent.
A blind humanoid bat who knows a lot about animals.
A tundra rabbit who escaped from a super soldier experimentation program.
Willy Elektrix

Return to Gamer Gatherings