Interlude in Hommlet

greyarea's P-B-P game

Moderator: greyarea

Interlude in Hommlet

Postby greyarea » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:21 pm

The party finishes breaking their fast. Ostler refuses Effric's offer of coin, but his goodwife takes him aside and thanks him for it saying, Most of the travelers have left and this morning the normal batch of farmers coming by to trade talk and break fast here were no where to be found. I've heard that the people think you've brought back a dark priest from the Temple of Evil and that ceremony last night was a black Mass. We've tried to reassure them that he's just a cleric from another religion but they fear witchcraft and elemental evil. Simple folk with only the trees or the Cudgel to relate to. Ostler and I have seen many travelers in this inn and heard many things, but merchants might tell tales but they don't scare off the people like that fellow did. Hopefully, our business isn't ruined and they begin to return when you all go. We might need Jaroo or Terjon or both to come bless this place before we get people to come back though...

The party departs the Inn, discussing their spoils along the way. They go to the tower of Burne and Rufus to tell them of the trip to the Temple. The happy couple come out when they hear from their guards that you've arrived.

What news do you bring?, Burne asks. Rufus looks on grimly. I hear you have a dark priest that you've captured who made quite a stir at the Inn of the Welcome Wench last night, he continues with a chuckle.

Actions?

Hit points and marching order
Effric 10/10 <4,2>
Pax 9/9
Morgan 18/18
--Calthas 13/13
Tavin 9/9 <1>
Father Redmond 13/13 <>
Caydon 11/11
--Thurwin 13/13 <Sleep x2, Stinking Cloud>
greyarea

Re: Interlude in Hommlet

Postby Spanningtree » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Tavin - Monk

Not big on words Tavin simply nods at the two men.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:00 pm

Thurwin - Wizard

Thurwin uncomfortably smirks at the "dark priest" comment, but quickly composes himself. "We've had quite a go of it in the temple. We routed some bandits occupying a ruined tower at the corner of the complex, we encountered and killed an owlbear and a troll, came across a hydra, and dozens of undead, plus some human guards. And thankfully we were able to rescue some unfortunates before they could become meals for the foul dead below." Thurwn points to the former captives, including the merchants. "We've brought them here so they could relate to you their experience, and just to provide some insight on what's going on at that place. It seems to be experiencing some sort of resurgence. See this?" Thurwin will ask for the map that the guard leader drew to illustrate the surroundings.

"Also, it seems that a couple locals from Nulb have been implicated as insiders for the temple denizens, and arranged for the imprisonment of a couple of these fellows. It appears that the tentacles of this place go far."

Thurwin will allow the freed captives to speak, and when he has a moment to speak to Burne alone he'll ask if he knows where we might be able to get some things identified and/or obtain some spells or helpful items.

OOC: I don't expect much here, just to keep these guys in the loop on what we are doing, when the time comes that we may need a hand, these fellas will be valuable, I'd imagine.
Anyone else have any ideas?
badams30

Postby tumblingdice » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:45 pm

Morgan, who missed most of the fallout from the previous evening's antics, does his best to smooth over any hard feelings and relieve any anxieties about the couple's livelihood. Though a paladin of Heironeous and not a cleric of St. Cuthbert, he'll offer to perform a blessing if he thinks it might help. Once that is settled, he'll introduce himself to Burne and Rufus, if they don't already know him, backing up his brother's story.

OC: I missed the moathouse (Village of Hommlet) part of the adventure. What's the deal with these two?
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby badams30 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:41 pm

These guys are basically the brains and muscle in Hommlett, and are building a small tower/keep whatever here. I wouldn't call them benefactors, but they have a vested interest in what's going on around here, and they are the closest thing to powerful good guys in the area. Thurwin's motive is to keep them in the loop in case we need some help on some level, as you never know.
badams30

Postby greyarea » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:26 am

Burne strokes his chin. Rufus looks on grimly. Burne says, Bandits and undead do not a reopening of the Temple make, although it is good to know of this activity. Hydras are particularly bad news. Did you encounter it in the wilderness? Near Hommlet? How did you defeat it? Is there a Troll or Owlbear encampment nearby? Rufus, perhaps we should send some men to check out a batch of Owlbears or Trolls if they threaten Hommlet. Of course they only mentioned one each, so maybe they were just passing through. Did you burn the Troll? They come back if you don't. He's obviously misinterpreted your description...

As to magics, he cannot identify items (Although for potions I've heard a sip or two will suffice, especially with poisons, so be careful, he remarks) nor does this town have a mage guild as it is but a village. Burne mentions that, Terjon and Calmer can help with small wounds or disease but I don't think they have anything in liquid form, if you know what I mean. However, I get the impression that you haven't a follower of St Cuthbert among you, which might not help. That said, I do know that charity goes a long way towards gaining assistance from the gods and their clerics.

Actions?

Effric 10/10 <4,2>
Pax 9/9
Morgan 18/18
--Calthas 13/13
Tavin 9/9 <1>
Father Redmond 13/13 <>
Caydon 11/11
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:46 am

Thurwin - Wizard
Thurwin smiles and says "No, sir. The hydra, owlbear and troll, plus the many undead and guards were beneath the temple complex. Within the confines of the temple itself. They seem to be organizing." He produces the amulet with the triangle, and a cloak with symbol on it "They were organized and wearing this sort of thing. And while we encountered the hydra, we didn't have the sufficient manpower or strength to vanquish it, but we will likely seek to finish it soon enough."

Thurwin shrugs and says "we are not as experienced as you gentlemen are, but it is clear from what we have seen beneath that something sinister is afoot, and not just some handfuls of evil creatures here and there. They seem to have a purpose. Of course, we realize that this isn't reason enough to muster forces, but we wish to keep you appraised of what we are finding, just in case something happens."

Thurwin thanks them for their help, and his next stop will be to head to the Church (this time at a respectable hour - not like late at night as he did last time.) He'll seek audience with one of the priests, but before going, we all need to DIVVY THE SPOILS!

OOC: Is there a place to cash in the jewels and equipment that we don't want? We need to get a final total so we can split this up.
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:17 pm

Tavin - Monk

Tavin will take a taste of the glowing blue potion in an attempt to ascertain it's function.
Spanningtree

Postby greyarea » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:21 pm

Burne's eyes light up at the necklace. Rufus looks on grimly, more grimly if possible. This is an Earth Temple amulet. Where did you find this? It seems someone is trying to restart the old cult, as you mention. Mind if I borrow this? I will bring it to the council the next time we meet.

Have you more information for us?

Tavin sips the potion. He feels great and an old scar on his hand heals up. (Potion of Extra Healing)

Actions?

Effric 10/10 <4,2>
Pax 9/9
Morgan 18/18
--Calthas 13/13
Tavin 9/9 <1>
Father Redmond 13/13 <>
Caydon 11/11
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Tavin - Monk

Looking at the scar healing with indifference he will say: If there is no protest I will hang onto the elixer of healing.

OCC: BTW: His currently learned spell is CLW. Inventory updated.
Spanningtree

Next

Return to Enter the World of Greyhawk