Random World Map

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Random World Map

Postby Wizardawn » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:17 pm

Today I finally finished the World Map generator. This creates a hex map based mostly on old-school hex map icons. There are some icons I had to make for the post-apocalyptic maps as there are not many old-school ones out there. So if you need to quickly make a world map for your fantasy, or post-apocalyptic games, then feel free to use it. You can read more about it HERE.
Last edited by Wizardawn on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wizardawn

Re: Random World Map

Postby Black Wyvern » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:45 pm

Very nice Wizardawn. Random enough to be better than the outdoor maps I make and not so random as to be disjointed. Very cool tool. Thanks for making it.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Wizardawn » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:00 pm

Some improvements to the World Map tool today. The first is that you can now make a random science-fiction world with things like space stations, outposts, ruins, aliens, mines, and floating cities in the skies. You also have an option to make a map with no genre, meaning it will make a world map with no points of interest...just terrain. The map legend normally would print out every map symbol no matter if the random map used it or not. I now changed this so the legend will only show map symbols used on the map you are presented with. This lets you have a snowy world without desert symbols being in your legend key (as an example of why I did this).
Wizardawn

Postby Wizardawn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:32 pm

The World Map tool now allows you to have a mountainous border around the map instead of the ocean type. You can still have no border as well, but I was making a map this weekend and realized I didn't want water surrounding all 4 sides to limit the travel of the adventurers...so mountains work out in those instances. There was also some tweaks to the post-apocalyptic world maps where symbols for bomb shelters (or vaults) were added along with the map using some of the new sci-fi elements like domed cities and sky cities. The option for no "genre" was broken where it would do no ocean/mountain border when chosen, so that is fixed today as well.
Wizardawn

Postby Wizardawn » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:30 pm

A huge update to the World Maps tool today. Some craters, thorns, and giant mushrooms have been added to the sci-fi maps. I might explore on how to incorporate this into fantasy and post-apocalyptic maps later (like I did craters)...but for now it is just sci-fi. You can now produce a lifeless planet map of a moon for example. These have limited sci-fi buildings and only have domed cities, but it will produce a map for adventures on such worlds where there are no plants, animals, or atmosphere. Lastly, you can now have your map colored. I picked some common hex map style colors so if it should be easy on the eyes. The legend will show the color codes as well. If you haven't already, make sure to go HERE to see how you can export all of these maps to a single image file.
Wizardawn

Postby jeff » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:11 am

I'm lovin' this. :mrgreen:
jeff

Return to Open Workshop