Mechanics

For discussion of the fantasy RPG WIZARDS' WORLD.

Re: Mechanics

Postby 1970 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:04 pm

Speaking of the magic system...

Unless I'm missing something, and I likely am, I don't know how to cast 10th level spells. If I remember correctly, casting a spell starts on second 1 and finishes a number of seconds equal to the spell's level + 1. This would mean that a 10th level spell would go off on second 11, which does not exist within the same turn. Does a 10th level spell finish on the 1st second of the round following the turn a spell caster starts it?

Also, what determines limited ability in regard to spell casting? I know that White and Black Knights have particular schools that they're limited to, but I didn't find any of that in, say, the Scout profession. Does limited ability refer to the number of learning points a profession received based on XP?

Postby Spectral Hand » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:52 pm

You are correct about the timing of 10th level spells. If you start casting a 10th level spell at the beginning of combat, it would go off on the first second of turn #2. With respect to casting multiple spells in a turn, the rulebook doesn't seem as clear as I would have liked on this point. What I meant is this: (1) a spell started on turn #1 doesn't count toward the number of spells you can cast on turn #2; and (2) any carryover seconds of casting a spell on turn #1 do count toward the casting time limit for multiple spells on turn #2. Thus, for example, if a 20th level caster cast a level 10 spell on the first second of combat, on turn #2 he would still be able to cast up to 4 spells as long as the total casting time of those spells was 6 or less (7 from the table on p. 15, minus 1 for the one second of carryover from the turn #1 spell).

All the "half-casting" classes get half spell learning points. This is described under the White Knight on p. 14: "They receive...one spell learning point for each two experience points they earn." The Black Knight is the same, although I used a backward reference instead of spelling it out properly: "Black knights gain spells as white knights..." The same spell learning rule applies to the Spy (see p. 19) and the Jester (also p. 19). All of these half-casting classes also get only 1 spell point per level.
Spectral Hand

Postby 1970 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks.

Along the same lines, do the limited ability fighting classes just have slower interval rates or is there something else I'm missing?

Postby Spectral Hand » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:03 pm

The experience tables (Warrior & Attacker on p13; Defender and White/Black Knight on p14) show the intervals for the true fighting classes vs. the limited fighting classes. All the true and limited fighting classes gain 15%/level to their weapon skill, but each level requires more experience points for the limited fighting classes so their weapon progression is slower.
Spectral Hand

Previous

Return to WIZARDS' WORLD