Help Stock My Map?

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Help Stock My Map?

Postby Black Wyvern » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Anyone have any interest in helping me stock one of my maps? This particular map has 12 small lairs. I thought maybe I could get a few members of the community to take one lair to stock with encounters appropriate for a 1st or 2nd level party (ala Caves of Chaos). One lair of goblins, one of hobnobbers, etc...

The final product would remain here for community use. One pet peeve. Encounters need to be fully statted out and ready to play and LL core compatible. You can use stuff from AEC but NPCs need to be race as class and so forth. Also anything not appearing in LL core or AEC needs a description.

Last edited by Black Wyvern on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Re: Help Stock My Map?

Postby jdn2006 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:45 pm

I'd love to help. I don't spend much time online so I would be posting every week or two (I've been stuck in something else for almost three months and am just looking around again). As it is I'll probably not be able to read this until next week to see if you respond.

I'll make a copy of the map, do some entries that can basically be used anywhere and post next week or so, if I have time. If I fail, I'll let you know. If you decide not to pursue this, no sweat; I've been thinking of the same thing a while yet and can use anything I do.

Caves of Chaos + "mega dungeon" + something I don't have to ride hear on is something I've been thinking about in weeks.
jdn2006

Postby Black Wyvern » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:27 pm

It would be great to have you participate JD. I love your modules.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby jdn2006 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:16 pm

I saw th maps you did for B2 and that sort of thing really interests me.

Feel free to edit, change, correct anything you want, add/subtract treassure and so on.

***************************************************************************************************

C. ORC LAIR (C1 to C12). This area has seen a lot of use; the floors are dusty, tore up by a continuous treading of clawed feet and boots. Humanoid footprints are thick in the dirt, coming and going.

C1. The thick wooden door to this lair is not locked, but it is heavy and poorly maintained. It will creak and pop loudly if opened too fast; oil on the ancient rusty hinges will reduce said noise. An inspection of the earth floor in the entrance area will reveal three squares (10' x 10') which can be mistaken for pit traps: the earth is soft and gives, as if placed over a canvas covering. There are pits underneath (3' deep), full of giant rats. Shoving a pole or such into any of said areas will cause said occupants to burst out in squealing horde.

Encounter: Twelve giant rats (four per pit) (AC 7, HD 1/2, hp 4, 1, 3, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 4, 3, 1, #Att 1, Dam 1d3, MV 120’ (40’) Swim 60' (20'), SV F1, ML 8).

Treasure: None

C2.

C3. JAIL GUARD. A bloated and old bugbear rests on a crude wooden stool in this room (the three orcs currently in room C4 will come to its aide if loud noise occurs or if it is attacked and it can jerk the door open). There are several more chairs, a table, and four cots in the room (three cots are about man-sized and one is large, for the bugbear). The bugbear has a ring of keys on its belt (one for each of the cell doors, and three which are old and useless) and wields a heavy mace; the handle is hollow and if the end cap is unscrewed a gem worth 100 g.p. can be found inside. It also has a pouch with 3d6 g.p., 4d6 s.p., and 5d6 c.p.

Encounter: 1 Bugbear (AC 5, HD 3+1, hp 10, #Att 1, Dam 2d4, MV 90’ (30’), SV F3, ML 9).

C4. JAIL ROOM. Three orcs are here pestering the prisoners. They will rush to help the bugbear in room C3 if alerted.

Encounter: 3 Orcs (AC 6, HD 1, hp 4, 2, 2, #Att 1, Dam 1d6, MV 120’ (40’), SV F1, ML 8).

C5. PRSON CELL. The entrance to this cell has been revamped recently; a row of thin but very strong and new iron bars close it off; a well made door with a built-in lock is in the center. A badly beaten dwarf is sitting hunched in the northwest corner. Three humans (also beaten) are grouped together closer to the entrance. These are all normal members of their species and hence not much help to the party.

Encounter: 3 normal men (AC 9, HD 1, hp 4, 2, 2 (5, 4, 3 if healed), #Att 1, Dam unarmed or 1d6, MV 120’ (40’), SV F1, ML 7)

C6. PRISON CELL. This prison is quiet ancient; the entrance is blocked off by a wall of old, rusted iron bars with a gate in the center for a door. A padlock is chained to the bars to keep them from opening. Inside are three gnolls: two are sick and near dead, having been beaten by the orcs, and the other alert with an insane gleam in its eyes.

Encounter: 1 gnoll (AC 5, HD 2, hp 3 (7 if healed), #Att 1, Dam 2d4 or weapon +1, MV 90’ (30’), SV F2, ML 8).

C7. GUARD DOGS. Two emaciated and rabid wolves are lashed by 10' lengths of rope to poles in front of this door. They have been so badly mistreated by the orcs that they are only likely to bark and bite if someone approaches them closely. Feeding them will calm them and if released they will flee.
Encounter: 2 wolves (AC 7, HD 2+2, hp 10, 6, #Att 1, Dam 1d6, MV 180’ (60’), SV F1, ML 8).

C8. EMPTY. This chamber is not occupied; crude furniture has been stacked against the west wall for storage. The spoils from a raid on the outside is stacked north of the furniture: three large sacks full of something and five wooden boxes (not locked, but tied shut by rope).

Encounter: None.

C9. GUARDS. Two orcs with spears, shields and leather armor stand guard in this room, quiet bored. Each has 1d6 s.p.

Encounter: 2 Orcs (AC 6, HD 1, hp 5, 1, #Att 1, Dam 1d6, MV 120’ (40’), SV F1, ML 8).

Treasure: 2-12 (2d6) s.p.

C10. STORE ROOM. Six orcs are guarding several piles of boxes, bags, and barrels, - loot from raids.
Each has 1d6 s.p. The one with the most hit points has 10 g.p. in a simple pouch hidden under its belt. Looking through the loot will uncover three bottles of fine wine worth 10 g.p. and a locked wooden box with 20 p.p., 200 g.p. and 300 s.p. in it. If the lock is forced open the box itself would fetch 5 or 10 g.p. but if kept intact it is worth 50 g.p. The rest of the loot would require three or so cart loads to haul it off and would fetch perhaps 100 g.p. total. There is a bucket of cheap ale with three wooden mugs nearby and each orc has a hunk of meat and bread.

Encounter: 6 Orcs (AC 6, HD 1, hp 7, 5, 4, 4, 3, 2, #Att 1, Dam 1d6, MV 120’ (40’), SV F1, ML 8).

Treasure: 6d6 s.p., 20 p.p., 210 g.p., 300 s.p., 100 g.p. in goods

C11. COMMON ROOM. Eleven orcs are quartered in this room; they have rags blankets for bedding, old pillows to sit on, and several wooden stools and buckets. A total of 9d6 s.p. can be collected from them (not all of them have money).

Encounter: 11 Orcs (AC 6, HD 1, hp 8, 6, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, #Att 1, Dam 1d6, MV 120’ (40’), SV F1, ML 8).

Treasure: 9d6 s.p.

C12. CHIEF'S ROOM. The chief is here with his favorite cronies and bodyguard. The chief uses a long divan with red satin covering as a throne and there are three decent chairs taken from some merchant shipping them. The chief wears a suit of chain mail stained back, has a shield, and carries a sword; the cronies have battle axes; the other orcs have spears. Hidden under the divan is a locked wooden box; the chief has a key that seems to fit it, but the lock in front is a trap and anyone inserting a key or trying to pick it will be shocked for 1d6 hit points damage (save versus wands for half; the save intended to represent the difficulty not nature of the attack); this can happen only once before the trap has to be recharged by a 3rd level magic-user. It is opened safely by reaching behind and underneath to press a knob that releases the lid. Inside are three potion-like bottles (one contains a healing potion, one contains high quality and very flammable whiskey valued at 30 to 50 g.p.; the other contains a green liquid that will cause nausea for 1d6 rounds if drunk (save versus poison to avoid this) - it is some useless and esoteric chemical). A bag contains 500 g.p. and 300 s.p.. A hidden compartment in the front side (which can only be found and accessed by opening it) holds three gems: 1 worth 50 g.p. and 2 worth 25 g.p. each.

Encounter: 1 Orc Chief (AC 4, HD 4, hp 15, #Att 1, Dam 1d8+2, MV 90’ (30’), SV F4, ML 8)
2 Orc bodyguards (cronies) (AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, 7, #Att 1, Dam 1d8+1, MV 120’ (40’), SV F2, ML 8)
3 Orcs (AC 6, HD 1, hp 5, 4, 4, #Att 1, Dam 1d6, MV 120’ (40’), SV F1, ML 8).

Treasure: healing potion, whiskey 30 - 50 g.p. depending on buyer, 500 g.p., 300 s.p., 50 g.p. gem, 2 x 25 g.p. gems, potion of healing

C13. STORAGE. More bags, boxes, and barrels are stacked here (about 75 g.p. worth of goods in total; 2 cart loads). Two wolves are tied to stakes to protect it.

Encounter: 2 wolves (AC 7, HD 2+2, hp 6, 3, #Att 1, Dam 1d6, MV 180’ (60’), SV F1, ML 8).

jdn2006

Postby Black Wyvern » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:59 pm

Very Nice JD! Okay I am going to work on stocking Area K. Anyone else? Blood axe this would seem to be right up your alley!
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Blood axe » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:40 pm

Ive been looking at this very carefully! Im just in the process of moving into a new house. I really like this! :D
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Black Wyvern » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:07 am

I don't think there is any hurry. I am not really seeing a line. But if one of the lairs tickles your fancy claim away and fill it at your leisure.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby Black Wyvern » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:53 pm

Okay here is lair K along with a new creature, basically a twisted pixie.

K. Darkling Lair
:
The solid oak door that serves as the entry to the lair is always manned by the darkling on duty in area 2. The lookout will listen intently and at the first sound of trouble it will activate a tripwire beside the door. The tripwire causes the secret door to area 1 to unlock and slide up releasing the giant vampire bats into the hallway. On the following round the guard will cast darkness on the hall and send his goblins forward to attack in the confusion. Once alerted the darklings will work together to cast darkness through out the lair.

1. Bat Pen: There are two well-kept and groomed giant vampire bats hanging upside down from the ceiling in this room. Both will viciously attack anyone entering the room that is not a darkling or goblin. Goblin slaves clean the room regularly so there is no detectable odor coming out of the unlit room.

Encounter: Giant Vampire Bats (AC 6, HD 2, hp (13, 6), #AT 1, D 1-4, MV (60’), Save F1, ML 8, XP 20)

2. Guard Room: This room has three cots for the goblin guards that are stationed here. A darkling will always be stationed at the door. The guard is rotated frequently. Silencing the hallway will effectively blind the guard to what is going on beyond. A thief could also successfully sneak into the area and perhaps unlock the door without being detected.

Encounter: 3 Goblin Slaves (AC 6, HD l-l, hp 3 each, #AT I, D 1-6, MV (20’), Save NM, ML 7); Darkling (AC 3, HD l, hp 4, #AT 2, D 1-4/1-4, MV (60’), Save E1, ML 8)

3. Kitchen: Three goblin slaves armed with knives and unarmored work here cooking meals for the other slaves and the darklings. Any battle in area 2 will be ignored. The cooks will continue working unless attacked or until they are sure all the darklings are dead at which point they will return to the goblin lair.

Encounter: 3 Goblin Slaves (AC 9, HD l-l, hp 3 each, #AT I, D 1-4, MV (20’), Save NM, ML 6)

4. Larder: The remains of several bodies, mostly humanoids from other lairs, hang around this room. Various other foodstuff are stacked around the room most are edible as the darklings are more picky about what they eat than most humanoids. A human female wearing a grain bag is gagged and tied up to a pole in the corner of the room. She is Leatha, a 1st level fighter, who was grabbed a couple days ago. She will be quite happy to assist the party for equipment and a half-share of the treasure.

Encounter: Leatha (AC 9, HD l, hp 6, #AT 1, D 1-3 or Weapon, MV (40’), Save F1, ML 7)

5. Goblin Slave Quarters: 16 cots and footlockers are the only furnishings in this room. 7 to 12 unarmored goblins with knives will be in this room at any one time. They will not move to molest the party unless attacked. They will be resting or sitting quietly on the floor talking to one another when the party enters. They will not leave this room until they are certain the darklings are all dead, or it is time for them to go back to work cleaning and maintaining the lair. If this group is attacked the goblins from area 7 will arrive in two rounds to assist them.

Encounter: 7-12 Goblin Slaves (AC 9, HD l-l, hp 3 each, #AT I, D 1-4, MV (20’), Save NM, ML 6)

6: Darkling Common Room: This room is very tidy, Tapestries cover the walls (total value 150gp). There are several stacks of pillows where the darklings spend most of their time. Eight of them will be here. Each will have 1d10+1 ep. Hidden under one of the cushions are two gems a sardonyx worth 75 gp, and a moonstone worth 75gp.

Encounter: 8 Darklings (AC 3, HD l, hp 4 each, #AT 2, D 1-4/1-4, MV (60’), Save E1, ML 8)

7. Throne Room: This room’s walls are lined with fine tapestries of deep blood red velvet. There are many cushions laying about the floor and at the far end in the center of the room is a dais with a pile of silk cushions. The darkling king lounges on his lofty throne and orders his minions about when court is in session. Normally the party will arrive when the room is quiet. A half dozen unarmed goblin slaves are busy cleaning up from the night’s merriment. Three darklings are concealed amid the cushions. The will be roused from a drunken stupor if the party activates the trap on the secret door or attack the goblins, otherwise they remain asleep. They will fight with a -2 penalty the first round but after that act normally.

The secret door to area 8 is trapped. If the trap is not disarmed the door will fall inward. Those close to it must roll a paralyzation or take 3d6 damage from the door. The noise from the falling door will also alert the king.

Encounter: 6 Goblin Slaves (AC 9, HD l-l, hp 3 each, #AT I, D 1-3, MV (20’), Save NM, ML 7); 3 Darklings (AC 3, HD l, hp 4 each, #AT 2, D 1-4/1-4, MV (60’), Save E1, ML 8)

8. Darkling King’s Chamber: The secret door from area 7 opens into a magically darkened hallway that leads to the large room. The entire floor of the room is piled with “treasure” the leader has selected over the years. Most is nearly worthless junk. He has a taste for shiny baubles and tacky art. The accumulated value of the whole is not worth the effort to get it out and sell it. This junk is split over several dozen chests, two of which hold the real treasure. If the party doesn’t spend the time going through it all the is no chance of finding the decent treasure. This will take 4 hours. Hidden around the room are A silver idol of a froglike god worth 400 gp, a copper broach with a mother of pearl inlay of a reclining elven woman worth 600 gp, a small finely crafted coffer made of an unusual wood and bound in platinum worth 1600 gp, a leather headband with a gold star set in the front worth 60gp. Inside the coffer are four potion vial the contain; a Potion of Fire Resistance, a Philter of Love, a Potion of Gaseous Form, and a Potion of Clairvoyance.

The king, two other darklings , and the kings pet giant vampire bat are currently in the room.

Encounter: 2 Darklings (AC 3, HD l, hp 4 each, #AT 2, D 1-4/1-4, MV (60’), Save E1, ML 8); Darkling King (AC 3, HD l+1, hp 9, #AT 2, D 1-4/1-4, MV (60’), Save E1, ML 9); Giant Vampire Bats (AC 6, HD 2, hp 15, #AT 1, D 1-4, MV (60’), Save F1, ML 8, XP 20)

New Monster
Darklings
No. Enc.: 2d4 (1d4x10)
Alignment: Chaotic
Movement: 180’ (60’)
Armor Class: 3
Hit Dice: 1
Attacks: 2
Damage: 1d4/1d4
Save: E1
Morale: 8
Hoard Class: III + IV
XP: 16

There is a very rare disorder among pixies that afflicts them in puberty. The darkening as other pixies call it has a few physical effects along with changing the abilities of the pixie. Firstly a darkling looses all his hair and his wings shrivel to useless stumps. Gigantism is another symptom. Darklings on average are a foot taller than other pixies, averaging 2-3 feet tall. The darkling is no longer able to turn invisible but rather can cast darkness at will. In the final stage of the affliction the darklings become blind and adopt a vicious behavior. The darklings blindness is offset by a heightening of his normal senses so that within 30’ they are able to act as if they could see normally. The metabolism of a darkling speeds up to the point that they always act as if under the effects of a haste spell.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Return to Open Workshop