Ideas for a Second Edition

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

Re: Ideas for a Second Edition

Postby Brutorz Bill » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:47 am

Goblinoid Games wrote:I was actually going to post an update! I've turned my attention to the second edition of this game now. I had to decide how I wanted to approach it. Of course the original version will always be available, but I wanted to expand some of the adventuring material and the best way it seems to me to do that is to make the game compatible with LL/MF. Now, there will be differences, not unlike how there are some differences between MF and LL, so I'll have conversion notes in the back of the book. Since the original system is so inspired by OD&D it seemed like going the LL route would be better than using the action table system, which is more skill-based. I'm also able to preserve everything about S&S that makes it unique.

I'm hoping to have a playtest draft ready within the next few weeks, so I'll be looking for playtesters.

AWESOME!!! Really looking forward to this! I was hoping you'd opt to go the compatible with LL/MF route!
Thanks for the update. :D
Brutorz Bill

Postby barrataria » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:19 am

Brutorz Bill wrote: AWESOME!!! Really looking forward to this! I was hoping you'd opt to go the compatible with LL/MF route!

Me too, for sure. As I mentioned here or elsewhere once, this will add an important element to MF games, since that book is light on future-tech type stuff. Plus, with detailed MF crossover mentions hopefully people will understand the possibilities to add weird stuff from MF to their space games as well (like what I'm doing with MF for my B/X campaign world!).

Good luck Dan.
barrataria

Postby Brutorz Bill » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:36 pm

barrataria wrote:
Brutorz Bill wrote: AWESOME!!! Really looking forward to this! I was hoping you'd opt to go the compatible with LL/MF route!

Me too, for sure. As I mentioned here or elsewhere once, this will add an important element to MF games, since that book is light on future-tech type stuff. Plus, with detailed MF crossover mentions hopefully people will understand the possibilities to add weird stuff from MF to their space games as well (like what I'm doing with MF for my B/X campaign world!).

Good luck Dan.

I couldn't agree more barrataria, I'm planning on mixing and matching the different games as well! I hope to be able to Pull in White Ape Hybrids from Realms of Crawling Chaos and have them as Laser toting aliens, pull in some wizards and make them Techno-wizards, then there is all the cool things I can do with the mutation rules! Woo Hoo!!! I hope this comes out sooner rather than later!
Brutorz Bill

Postby ancarr13 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Im always up for play-testing, Tried to run a game with mmy friends, it didnt work out so well but we appriciated the system and how it worked.
-Whats THAC0?
-Are you Serious?
-Yeah, whats THAC0?
-Just...just go, get out of here
ancarr13

Postby Brutorz Bill » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:04 pm

Can I vote for including a few more alien races? :)
Brutorz Bill

Postby Atomic Ray » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Compatibility with the MF and LL only makes sense...good sense :)

Classic aliens, names changed to protect the innocent of course.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Ravenheart87 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:02 pm

I was thinking a lot about starting a secondary, sci-fi sandbox campaign in the near-future, and couldn't really decide, which systemto use. I would have chosen X-Plorers because of it's simple D&D-like core, but it needs some work - more equipment, automatic fire rules, aliens, etc. If you can create a Mutant Future (or Labyrinth Lord, whatever) based sci-fi game, I would buy it instantly. I don't care if it's called Starships & Spacemen or something else. :)

Why the D&D base? We already know it very well, it's simple, and of course, the compatibility. My fantasy campaigns usually have some sci-fi elements. It would be a blast to have a crossover between a fantasy and sci-fi campaign.
Ravenheart87

Postby kjc » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:02 am

Atomic Ray wrote:Compatibility with the MF and LL only makes sense...good sense :)

Classic aliens, names changed to protect the innocent of course.

Agreed! :D
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Goblinoid Games » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Just an update. I've made a lot of headway on the 2e version, but I've run into both work and home related delays. The bulk of the game has been converted to a system more compatible with LL/MF, but the main work left is converting the creatures.

Which brings me to a problem. In the original game there are a number of oddball creatures (like "prognosticating" owls) that I wasn't planning to port over. There are stats people can customize for various technology level humanoids. The question is, what sort of alien creatures do you want to see? Do you want a bestiary sort of thing like in LL/MF or do you want templates to customize for any given planet (reptiloids, felinoids, etc), or a bit of both? Something to keep in mind in this game is that the referee builds his/her own universe. So planets etc. may be different between campaigns, and creating the "apes of Cestus 3" may not be as useful--or maybe it would be---you tell me!
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby greyarea » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Goblinoid Games wrote:Which brings me to a problem. In the original game there are a number of oddball creatures (like "prognosticating" owls) that I wasn't planning to port over. There are stats people can customize for various technology level humanoids. The question is, what sort of alien creatures do you want to see? Do you want a bestiary sort of thing like in LL/MF or do you want templates to customize for any given planet (reptiloids, felinoids, etc), or a bit of both?

I'd say a bit of both.

However, that said, I think it would be interesting if the book only had a light bestiary, if it will be LL/MF compatible.

I think an interesting project would be to have a combined bestiary of LL, MF, SS, and other compatible products creatures so that they can be used in any of the settings. Perhaps each creature can have "tuned for LL" or something so we know which setting it was originally intended for, but have stats that are universal so we can use Spidergoats in LL if we want to. And perhaps these creatures might have setting notes, so that Orcs look like they do in LL but there's a note for MF describing mutations or for SS describing planet-types.

It seems a combined bestiary would be very beneficial.
greyarea

PreviousNext

Return to Starships & Spacemen