House Rule: Drive Cores

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

House Rule: Drive Cores

Postby az_gamer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:48 pm

For a while I have put a lot of consideration into how to approach the problem of Hyperdrive Pods in the game. This mechanic is a good one and it does a great job of spelling out how much power production is available based on the number and size of Pods a starship has. Unfortunately this does address the problem that arise when a spaceship doesn't have it's hyperdrive elements housed in an external pod. For an answer I went back to the original inspiration material and carefully reviewed the schematics of several iconic spacecraft. My solution is this slight modification of the S&S 2E rules... instead of what size and how many pods a ship has we should be looking at the actual power producing elements of the engine which is the hyperdrive core or cores themselves.

Class A Core: Produces 25 points of EU per day = 1/4 Pod (i.e. one class A core can fit into one quarter pod)
Class B Core: Produces 50 Points of EU per day = 1/2 Pod , or 2 quarter pods
Class C Core: Produces 75 Points of EU per day = 3/4 Pod, or 3 quarter pods, or 1 half pod and 1 quarter pod
Class D Core: Produces 100 Points of EU per day = 1 Full Pod, or 2 half pods, or 4 quarter pods
az_gamer

Return to Starships & Spacemen