Half-Ogre racial-class

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Half-Ogre racial-class

Postby ckutalik » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:31 pm

I have been wanting to scratch this itch since reading Gygax's comments on it in an old issue of Dragon mag. Here's a racial-class spin on it.

As always any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Half-Ogre
Requirements: STR 14, CON 14, CHR <9
Prime Requisite: STR
Hit Dice: 1d10
Maximum Level: 9

Half-ogres are the ungainly and unlikely products of miscegenation between undiscriminating humans and beastly, terrifying ogres.

Although quite short in respect to their ogre parent, they stand tall amongst the race of men; often reaching seven and a half feet in height. Because of their great size, they tend to be stronger and more durable then their pure-human cousins and are able to thus carry weight at one encumbrance category less than their human counterparts. For example, a half-ogre carrying 81-160 lbs. can schlep all that gear at the 60'/turn movement rate of other characters carrying 61-80 lbs.

Half-ogres have rather swarthy and dull skin tones only made worse by poor skin care. A few human-raised exceptions will have sufficiently learned enough about alternately washing their faces in cold and warm water with a clean, exfoliating towelette to have raised their maximum Charisma score to 9. Their hair is across the board hopeless, however, and will invariably be lank, greasy, and dark.

If the character is raised by ogre kinfolk he will speak ogre, orc, and troll, but only with a pronounced lisp.

Half-ogres can see quite well in the dark with dark vision up to 60'.

Half-ogres fight and save as fighters of the same level. They can use any weapon or armor, but are inordinately fond of two-handed weapons--especially those with sharp, fangy bits.

[For formatting reasons I have the level progession charts up here on my blog: http://hillcantons.blogspot.com/2011/02/half-ogre-classic-d-racial-class.html]
ckutalik

Re: Half-Ogre racial-class

Postby petespahn » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:01 am

This looks really cool. I have a player who would love this. My only concern would be the part about the lisp. I can see that easily turning into a running joke, with the big burly half ogre talking like Leon Phelps the Ladies Man. :-)

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Re: Half-Ogre racial-class

Postby ckutalik » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:36 am

Thanks.

As an alternative you could decree that the players can only run human-raised half ogres. But then you may have to put up with that whole metro-sexual thing.
ckutalik

Return to Labyrinth Lord