Mechanically how would you deal with this kind of archery?

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Mechanically how would you deal with this kind of archery?

Postby Agrippa » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:27 am

Looking at these rapid archery videos how would you attempt to translate such feats of skill to Labyrinth Lord or even Mutant Future? Perhaps something along the lines of Mutants & Masterminds 3E's multiattack rules could work.
Agrippa

Re: Mechanically how would you deal with this kind of archer

Postby bighara » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:23 pm

Hmmm

I've seen some of those vids before. Obviously, in real life, those archers have trained in a specific style that includes things like that rapid "dagger" technique. Not all forms of archery use that (Kyudo comes to mind). But your question, as I understand it, assumes that such techniques can exist in your game world and you want to model it in the rules.

Obviously, being able to fire more arrows faster is an advantage. One "balancing" factor can be reduced accuracy; either as a flat penalty to hit or perhaps increased range penalties. The flat penalty is probably easier.

I used to have a house rule that archers (not crossbowmen, etc.) that didn't take any other actions could shoot twice a round. It became VERY powerful. Granted, these were relatively low level (4th or so) PCs, but still. In the end, I stopped using it.

You might try something like this:

-Multi-Shot takes a full round (no movement, etc.)
-A character's rate of fire cannot exceed half his level (round down). So a PC needs to be at least 4th level for 2 arrows, 6th for 3, etc.
-The first arrow is at -1 to hit, the second is at -2, the third at -3 and so forth.
-Range and damage are normal.
bighara

Postby elf23 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:20 am

One very simple (and low-power) option would be the following:

Rapid fire: A trained archer* who is not engaged in melee may choose to rapidly fire multiple arrows (up to 5) in a round at a single target. One hit roll is made, but for each additional arrow fired, the character gains a +1 bonus to hit. No movement is possible while using this technique.

* What defines a "trained archer" is open to interpretation. This could just mean any fighter or elf. It could mean a character with bow specialization (if using AD&D-like weapon proficiency rules), it could mean a character who, in game, has undertaken some specific training with a master, etc.

So it's basically a trade-off between ammunition and hit likelihood.
elf23

Postby elf23 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:22 am

(Personally I'm very wary of any rule which allows a character to make multiple attack rolls per round.)

Another thought: one could argue that this kind of technique is represented by the fighter class' ability to make multiple attacks per round at high levels.
elf23

Postby greyarea » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:33 pm

"one could argue that this kind of technique is represented by the fighter class' ability to make multiple attacks per round at high levels." -- I'd agree with this approach.
greyarea

Postby Agrippa » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:51 am

How about this rule. An archer (read as anyone able to use a bow) may make multiple attack at his bow's short range. The number of archery attacks is equal to the archer's normal attack allotment, including attack's if he's a fighter, +1 attack for a Dexterity score of 15+.

I'm also thinking of giving other missile weapons their own special qualities. Crossbows for instance have greater armor penetration than other weapons in exchange for reduced range when compared to normal bows. Let's say they negate the first two points of AC from armor to a minimum of 0. Last but not least, early firearms, if you use them. They typically have ranges comrable to those of crossbows, but to their relative easy of mass producing are cheaper than bows and crossbows. They're also easier to train troops with making them perfect for large mostly peasant-conscript armies. They also have worse armor penetration than just about everything else, effectively improving the target's AC by two if wearing anything better than mail, on top of slower loading time than bows. Great for armies, sheer and utter crap for adventurers.
Agrippa

Return to Labyrinth Lord